Your question

Windows 7 oem

Tags:
  • System Builder
  • Windows 7
  • OEM
Last response: in Windows 7
August 24, 2012 7:17:46 PM

what i am wondering what is the difference between windows 7 system builder and just regular oem

More about : windows oem

a c 426 $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 7:22:42 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

This is what OEM is all about ^
m
l
August 24, 2012 8:15:07 PM

yes i see that but you didnt say anything about the system builders edition how it is different from oem
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 8:19:02 PM

I think they're the same thing.

Anyway, you're only supposed to use an OEM version if you sell the assembled computer to someone else.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 8:32:50 PM

Hi :) 

Easy answer = system builder also called OEM ...locks to motherboard...

Retail can be used again on another machine once first machine conks out etc...

Also you are not MEANT to use an OEM unless you are a manufacturer of Pcs.. (like I am)

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
August 24, 2012 9:04:06 PM

you are aloud to use the computer if you use a system builder read on the Microsoft website on the hobbiests page and plus how would they know the computer does not have a cammera
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 9:17:54 PM

jkipod said:
you are aloud to use the computer if you use a system builder read on the Microsoft website on the hobbiests page and plus how would they know the computer does not have a cammera

A "home user" is not and cannot be an OEM....

No idea what a camera has to do with it though lol ...

m
l
August 24, 2012 9:40:14 PM

jkipod said:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

Quote:
There is a growing market for "do-it-yourself" home PC hobbyists who assemble PCs from components for their own use. Microsoft retail software licenses are the appropriate licenses for the do-it-yourself market. OEM System Builder software is not intended for this use, unless the PC that is assembled is being resold to another party. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

So it's not technically allowed. But it's still quite common.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 9:47:03 PM

Sakkura said:
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

Quote:
There is a growing market for "do-it-yourself" home PC hobbyists who assemble PCs from components for their own use. Microsoft retail software licenses are the appropriate licenses for the do-it-yourself market. OEM System Builder software is not intended for this use, unless the PC that is assembled is being resold to another party. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

So it's not technically allowed. But it's still quite common.

Shoplifting is also common , but that doesnt make it legal....

m
l
August 24, 2012 10:01:38 PM

Do retail versions come with x number of serials that you can install on x different computers? If you format the pc can you reuse the serial number or you have to get another number?

Thanks a lot
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 10:07:52 PM

Leoso said:
Do retail versions come with x number of serials that you can install on x different computers? If you format the pc can you reuse the serial number or you have to get another number?

Thanks a lot

Retails can be installed on ONE pc at a time...if you format you just use the single number again....

You can also buy a RETAIL FAMILY PACK which will install on THREE machines...

m
l
August 24, 2012 10:14:58 PM

Thanks Brett

So if I change my pc I need to buy a different retail license or can I transfer the license from the old to the new machine?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 10:34:27 PM

Leoso said:
Thanks Brett

So if I change my pc I need to buy a different retail license or can I transfer the license from the old to the new machine?

If you change your pc you can use the same licence as long as the first pc is broken or destroyed.....

m
l
a c 426 $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 11:01:01 PM

Full and Volume Licensing 7 Versions

The full license product represents the highest price you can pay as a consumer, but it also includes the most generous license. Big customers who are willing to buy in bulk can get full-featured editions of Windows, bundled with support contracts and special benefits, by signing up for Volume License agreements. Here’s how these two products work.

Retail Full Package Product (FPP) This is the most expensive retail product of all and includes the fewest restrictions of any Windows version. You can install it on any PC, new or old. You can boot from the installation media and set up Windows 7 on a PC with a squeaky clean hard drive without having to jump through a single hoop. You can install it on any Mac, in a virtual machine or using Boot Camp. You can install it in a virtual machine in Windows as well. You can even use it as an upgrade for a previous edition (although you pay more for the privilege than you need to).

Two other noteworthy benefits of an FPP copy of Windows are these:

You can uninstall the OS from a computer and transfer it to a new PC, something you can’t do with an OEM copy of Windows. Microsoft briefly considered restricting this option when Vista was almost ready to launch but retreated in the face of a fierce backlash from customers
You get free technical support directly from Microsoft, rather than from the hardware maker.

FPP products are premium-priced, but for some circumstances they make sense. And for customers who are willing to pay that premium to have no license hassles whatsoever, this is the way to go

microsoft.com
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:21:44 PM

I have used win 7 pro oem on 3 different mothetboards, Gigabyte, Asus and another Asus with no problem with activation. I did the same with oem Vista and I am sure
I will do it with win 8 (when Hell freezes over).
m
l
a c 426 $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 11:27:26 PM

That don't make it legal an not all are so lucky.
m
l
August 24, 2012 11:39:58 PM

I think that Microsoft activation makes it legal.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 11:44:11 PM

ebbote59 said:
I think that Microsoft activation makes it legal.

No..because you lied to them...

m
l
August 24, 2012 11:50:26 PM

Anyone can buy and use OEM. Ignore the licence. If you want to move an OEM licence call Microsoft and tell them the old mobo died and you got a replacement. They will issue a new key unless the person on the phone is a total bastard. And no, as long as Microsoft gets paid, it really doesn't care who uses what.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2012 11:54:49 PM

Smeg45 said:
Anyone can buy and use OEM. Ignore the licence. If you want to move an OEM licence call Microsoft and tell them the old mobo died and you got a replacement. They will issue a new key unless the person on the phone is a total bastard. And no, as long as Microsoft gets paid, it really doesn't care who uses what.

NOT TRUE....

If you are honest with them..its around a 1 in 5 (20%) chance they will give you a new activation number....

I have spoken to HUNDREDS of people who come into my shops to BUY a legal copy after being refused...

m
l
August 25, 2012 1:00:02 AM

Brett928S2 said:

NOT TRUE....

If you are honest with them..its around a 1 in 5 (20%) chance they will give you a new activation number....

I have spkoen to HUNDREDS of people who come into my shops to BUY a legal copy after being refused...

Who said anything about honesty? That gets you nowhere. Simply call and explain - mobo dead, got new one, need new key.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 1:15:51 AM

Smeg45 said:
Who said anything about honesty? That gets you nowhere. Simply call and explain - mobo dead, got new one, need new key.

Obviously we have a different moral outlook....

To me a lie is a lie...

m
l
August 25, 2012 1:16:36 AM

Brett928S2 said:

No..because you lied to them...

I have never lied to MS, told them I replaced the motherboard and they activated me. I think if you are honest upfront you will never have a problem. I have never lied
to them or been refused, never. I told them I changed motherboards and they reactivated me.
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:37:12 AM

Brett928S2 said:

If you change your pc you can use the same licence as long as the first pc is broken or destroyed.....

If it's full retail Windows, can't you just wipe the drive on the old PC? So you could keep using it with Linux etc. if you wanted to?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 12:24:31 PM

Sakkura said:
If it's full retail Windows, can't you just wipe the drive on the old PC? So you could keep using it with Linux etc. if you wanted to?

Yes sure as long as you dont put Windows back on it..

All thebest Brett :) 
m
l
!