SW Empire - Battle for New Byss - First Call for Players

Last response: in Video Games
July 29, 2004 10:52:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

"Captain, scouts report reacting units."

"Whaaat? We just got here!! Patch in a feed-out. What's their
position?"

"What's their position?!!"

"Dead, sir."

ANNOUNCING - STAR WARS EMPIRE II - BATTLE FOR NEW BYSS

Friendly neighbourhood deities, Jeff, Ron and Markus, cordially invite
you to play the second game in the Star Wars Empire series.

You think you're pretty good at 'strategy war games?' You think you've
got 'Age of Empires', 'Civilisation' and 'Starcraft' beat in your
sleep? You wanna try your hand at something with a 'little' more depth
and detail and difficulty level? Well, maybe Star Wars Empire is your
game.

All players, of any experience level, are welcome to play.

When: Sanctuary ships landing on Aug 6. First update on Monday, Aug 9.
Where: IP: 202.172.121.119; Port 6665; Server (800 MHz, PIII) located
in Sydney, Australia on a reliable 1024K/512K bps nailed-up DSL line.
Updates: First two weeks: 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday thru Thursday;
thereafter 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday
Span: About 4-5 weeks to play
Game Details: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm. Surf
over to the "New Byss Game Details" page for the details (available
after 10 pm EDT on 29-July).

If you haven't checked out the game details, here's a top-ten list of
features of this game:

10. Ships fly over land
9. New delivery command helps with your econ management
8. A new twist on diplomatic relations
7. Fast paced, land-based setup
6. Deity mil AND deity units
5. Metric Empire
4. Choose your own subset of available units, different from other
countries
3. 'Enhance' one unit type, again different from other countries
2. Ron Koenderink will support the WinEmpireHub - great for team play
1. It's free, free, free!!! Errr, well at least in terms of money :-)

Registration opens at 10 pm, July 29, 04. To register, see
instructions at

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

(after 10 pm, July 29.)

Inquires to Jeff Cotter (j.cotter@unsw.edu.au).

Version Report (subject to minor changes):

Empire 4.2.16
(KSU distribution 1.04, Chainsaw version 4.00, Wolfpack version 2.16,
SWEmpire version 2.16.02)

The following parameters have been set for this game:
World size is TBD by TBD.
There can be up to 99 countries.
By default, countries use their own coordinate system.

An Empire time unit is 1728 seconds long.
Use the 'update' command to find out the time of the next update.
The current time is Thu Jul 29 23:08:57.
An update consists of 50 empire time units.
Each country is allowed to be logged in 1440 minutes a day.
It takes 8.33 civilians to produce a BTU in one time unit.

A non-aggi, 100 fertility sector can grow 0.12 food per etu.
1000 civilians will harvest 1.3 food per etu.
1000 civilians will give birth to 5.0 babies per etu.
1000 uncompensated workers will give birth to 0.0 babies.
In one time unit, 1000 people eat 0.5 units of food.
1000 babies eat 6.0 units of food becoming adults.

Banks pay $250.00 in interest per 1000 gold bars per etu.
1000 civilians generate $10.00, uncompensated workers $2.00 each time
unit.
1000 active military cost $100.00, reserves cost $10.00.
Up to 100 avail can roll over an update.
Happiness p.e. requires 1 happy stroller per 12000 civ.
Education p.e. requires 1 class of graduates per 12000 civ.
Happiness is averaged over 50 time units.
Education is averaged over 200 time units.
The technology/research boost you get from your allies is 20.00%.
Nation levels (tech etc.) decline 1% every 100 time units.
Tech Buildup is limited to logarithmic growth (base 2.00).

Sects Ships Planes Units
Maximum mobility 100 100 100 100
Max mob gain per update 50 50 25 25
Max eff gain per update -- 50 50 50

Ships on autonavigation may use 6 cargo holds per ship.
Fire ranges are scaled by 1.00

Options enabled in this game:
DEMANDUPDATE, FALLOUT, GODNEWS, GO_RENEW, INTERDICT_ATT, LANDSPIES,
LOANS, NO_FORT_FIRE, NO_PLAGUE, NOMOBCOST, NUKEFAILDETONATE, ORBIT,
PINPOINTMISSILE, PLANENAMES, SAIL, SHIPNAMES, SHOWPLANE, TREATIES,
UNIT_ALIGN, UPDATESCHED

Options disabled in this game:
ALL_BLEED, BIG_CITY, BLITZ, BRIDGETOWERS, DEFENSE_INFRA, DRNUKE,
EASY_BRIDGES, FUEL, HIDDEN, LOSE_CONTACT, MARKET, MOB_ACCESS,
NEUTRON, NO_HCMS, NO_LCMS, NO_OIL, NOFOOD, NONUKES, RES_POP,
SLOW_WAR, SNEAK_ATTACK, SUPER_BARS, TECH_POP, TRADESHIPS

July 29, 2004 5:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Hmm,
interesting.....

Can you build harbors... err hspaceports... "inland" since starships aren't
bound to the seas?
Oh, and when will the list of units be coming out.

Mark
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:05:28 AM

"Mark Stokje" <mst_dont_spam_me@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2mspg0Fqh4n2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hmm,
> interesting.....
>
> Can you build harbors... err hspaceports... "inland" since starships aren't
> bound to the seas?

Yes.

> Oh, and when will the list of units be coming out.

The list of units and specs is up now at

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/UnitsLight.htm

and

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/UnitsDark.htm

Deities are going over unit specs with a fine-toothed comb at the
moment. Small changes possible, we will advise.

Remember, choose 4 planes, 4 ships and 12 land units. But which
ones...hmmm. Paper, rock or sissors, hmmmm...

Jeff
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 3:05:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

"Mark Stokje" <mst_dont_spam_me@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2mspg0Fqh4n2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hmm,
> interesting.....
>
> Can you build harbors... err hspaceports... "inland" since starships aren't
> bound to the seas?

Yes.

> Oh, and when will the list of units be coming out.

The list of units and specs is up now at

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/UnitsLight.htm

and

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/UnitsDark.htm

Deities are going over unit specs with a fine-toothed comb at the
moment. Small changes possible, we will advise.

Remember, choose 4 planes, 4 ships and 12 land units. But which
ones...hmmm. Paper, rock or sissors, hmmmm...

Jeff
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:30:41 PM

"Dexter" <j.cotter@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message

> Deities are going over unit specs with a fine-toothed comb at the
> moment. Small changes possible, we will advise.
>
> Remember, choose 4 planes, 4 ships and 12 land units. But which
> ones...hmmm. Paper, rock or sissors, hmmmm...

Okay, one more question for now. How are mines handled? If a ship drops a
mine over land, does it become a land mine? Do ships hit land mines dropped
by engineering units? Will lands hit mines dropped by ships?

Mark
(Who's like a kid in the candy store right now)
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 5:22:50 PM

> Okay, one more question for now. How are mines handled?

very carefully.

> If a ship drops a mine

oopsie.

> over land, does it become a land mine?

if the land is mine will it be your land mine or mine after it has landed.

> Do ships hit land mines dropped by engineering units?

butterfingers.

> Will lands hit mines dropped by ships?

mines will land on the land when the land is mined by ships.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 10:25:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

*On the telephone*

"Those boys were ripped to shreds by something...something totally
chaotic. We don't even know what hit them."

"Yes, sir, general, sir, I'm sorry, but we didn't bring any assault
tank production facilities or plans with us."

"Alright, then call up a squad of Snowspeeders, well bomb the piss out
of whatever it is. We did bring Snowspeeders, right?"

"Yes, General we did...however...oil production in the swamps that
we've found is taking longer than we expected. We have no petrol for
the planes."

*Getting impatient*

"Damnit, ok, well I'll need a squad of Jedi Apprentices, expensive but
at least could we use us some good recon on those beasts."

"Errr, sir, sorry general, we didn't bring Jedi gear either."

*loud cursing in seven strange languages*

"What did we bring, corporal?"

"Well, sir, we brought plans for the Luxury Yacht, the Cargo Skiff,
the Mining Tug, the Superdeluxe Omnibus, oh, and Speederbikes, yep,
those're real popular with the troops - several Ubrikkian
variaties..."

*lots more loud cursing in seven strange languages*

"Who the F was responsible for logistics planning?!!!!?? I'll have his
head!! and he won't get a spare!"

"General, sir, you were, sir!"

A play test server is up and running, minus some of the surprises :-)

IP: 202.172.121.119
Port: 6667
Countries: 2 - 20
Passwords: 2 - 20

All units are available to try out. Some small changes have been made
since the website was last updated (bomber load increased, supply
capability for big capital ship removed).

The server is running in demand-update mode. Type in 'zdone y' when
you're ready for an update.

I will reset the server in the wee hours of Monday morning. Please
report any oddities or buggies to me.

Darth Dexter

ps. Answers to mine-related questions coming soon.

When: Sanctuary ships landing on Aug 6. First update on Monday, Aug 9.
Where: IP: 202.172.121.119; Port 6665; Server (800 MHz, PIII) located
in Sydney, Australia on a reliable 1024K/512K bps nailed-up DSL line.
Updates: First two weeks: 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday thru Thursday;
thereafter 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday
Span: About 4-5 weeks to play
Game Details: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm. Surf
over to the "New Byss Game Details" page for the details (available
after 10 pm EDT on 29-July).
Register info: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

August 2, 2004 10:29:18 AM

"Mark Stokje" <mst_dont_spam_me@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2muth3Fqqum8U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Okay, one more question for now. How are mines handled? If a ship drops a
> mine over land, does it become a land mine? Do ships hit land mines dropped
> by engineering units? Will lands hit mines dropped by ships?

The code presently works as follows:

There's no difference between mines dropped from a land or ship.

Lands with eng capability can mine over land, regardless of old owner
of sector.
Lands with eng capability can't sweep over land if you own the sector
completely (your units won't hit the mines anyway).
Lands with eng capability can sweep over land if you don't own the
sector completely.
Lands will hit mines with the usual probability if you march into a
sector that you don't own completely. Lands will not hit mine in
sectors you own completely.

SW Empire engineers are very good at sweeping mines, it appears.

*Ships with mine capability can mine over land and sea, regardless of
owner.
*Ships with sweep capability can sweep over land and sea, regardless
of owner.
*Ships will hit mines with the usual probability over land or sea,
regardless of owner (of the sector, of course).

*This part of the code has been changed for SW Empire, specifically to
include mines operating over land sectors. Previously, ships were
limited to mining and sweeping sea and bridge spans only and ships did
not hit mines over land (even if they could somehow get over land
sectors.)

Darth Dexter
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:00:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Apologies to those who tried to access the previously advertised
server. I forgot to change firewall settings on server computer to
allow access on port 6667, then promptly went snowboarding for
weekend. Server is working properly now.

> A play test server is up and running, minus some of the surprises :-)
>
> IP: 202.172.121.119
> Port: 6667
> Countries: 2 - 20
> Passwords: 2 - 20
>
> All units are available to try out. Some small changes have been made
> since the website was last updated (bomber load increased, supply
> capability for big capital ship removed).
>
> The server is running in demand-update mode. Type in 'zdone y' when
> you're ready for an update.
>
> I will reset the server in the wee hours of Monday morning. Please
> report any oddities or buggies to me.
>
> Darth Dexter
>
> ps. Answers to mine-related questions coming soon.

> When: Sanctuary ships landing on Aug 6. First update on Monday, Aug 9.
> Where: IP: 202.172.121.119; Port 6665; Server (800 MHz, PIII) located
> in Sydney, Australia on a reliable 1024K/512K bps nailed-up DSL line.
> Updates: First two weeks: 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday thru Thursday;
> thereafter 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday
> Span: About 4-5 weeks to play
> Game Details: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm. Surf
> over to the "New Byss Game Details" page for the details (available
> after 10 pm EDT on 29-July).
> Register info: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

August 2, 2004 11:21:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Star Wars Empire - Battle for New Byss

Game opens Friday evening, August 6th, first update Monday evening,
August 9th.

Registration information at
http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

If choosing a side, personality or list of units is a hassle, I will
pick something random but reasonable for you. Just indicate that as a
preference when registering.

WinEmpireHub will be supported, so co-playing (whereby two or more
team mates can log in simultaneously) is possible. No more waiting
around until co-rulers log off to play. Invite a friend to co-rule!
(More info on WinEmpireHub coming soon.)

Registration will close Sat AM (Sydney time), so hurry, hurry.

> [...]
> Tech Buildup is limited to logarithmic growth (base 2.00).
>
> Sects Ships Planes Units
> Maximum mobility 100 100 100 100
> Max mob gain per update 50 50 25 25
> Max eff gain per update -- 50 50 50
>
> Ships on autonavigation may use 6 cargo holds per ship.
> Fire ranges are scaled by 1.00
>
> Options enabled in this game:
> DEMANDUPDATE, FALLOUT, GODNEWS, GO_RENEW, INTERDICT_ATT, LANDSPIES,
> LOANS, NO_FORT_FIRE, NO_PLAGUE, NOMOBCOST, NUKEFAILDETONATE, ORBIT,
> PINPOINTMISSILE, PLANENAMES, SAIL, SHIPNAMES, SHOWPLANE, TREATIES,
> UNIT_ALIGN, UPDATESCHED
>
> Options disabled in this game:
> ALL_BLEED, BIG_CITY, BLITZ, BRIDGETOWERS, DEFENSE_INFRA, DRNUKE,
> EASY_BRIDGES, FUEL, HIDDEN, LOSE_CONTACT, MARKET, MOB_ACCESS,
> NEUTRON, NO_HCMS, NO_LCMS, NO_OIL, NOFOOD, NONUKES, RES_POP,
> SLOW_WAR, SNEAK_ATTACK, SUPER_BARS, TECH_POP, TRADESHIPS

August 3, 2004 8:21:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

*panic rules*

lwall Get some shells, put in harbor, find guns too, we need to
warload sub

*ding* *ding* *ding*

Country 7 shelled pt Patrol Boat #761 for 120 damage
pt Patrol Boat #761 sunk

lwall Can't find shells, where are they?

*ding* *ding* *ding*

dd Destroyer #45 spotted at -10,14
dd Destroyer #873 spotted at -10,14
ac Aircraft Carrier #1125 spotted at -10,14

dd Destroyer #45 spotted at -11,13
dd Destroyer #873 spotted at -11,13
ac Aircraft Carrier #1125 spotted at -11,13

lwall Fort can't reach, take from shells from closest two forts take
guns and mil

lwall Done. Load em up...

*ding* *ding* *ding*

7 planes spotted over -4,6
7 planes spotted over -3,5
7 planes spotted over -2,4
7 planes spotted over -4,4

lwall Ok. Sub is ready.

lwall Plan: Take the sub within one sect of his battle group, ping
with sonar

lwall He will attack with two dd. BUT, wait until he moves them on
top...

lwall ...then nav yy to other side of his ac and torp from there. Be
quick...

lwall ...his ac will retreat in your direction, torp again, three
times if necessary

lwall ...hopefully his dd too far to return fire...

lwall I think I got it, hang on...

*ding* *ding* *ding*

dd Destroyer #45 spotted at -10,12
dd Destroyer #873 spotted at -10,12

*tense moment*

lwall Wahoo!! $4400 in new maritime reef improvements!

lwall !! I checked, his dd are within fractional firing range...
moving armaments...

Ron Koenderink's adaptation of Drake Diedrich's Empire Hub, called
WinEmpireHub is now running on the SW Empire server. Ron has done a
great job updating Drake's concept and code and improving WinACE as
well.

WinEmpireHub allows multiple players to log into the empire server
concurrently, and supports several co-play features such as team chat.
A description follows (and will be available at the SW Empire Website
shortly.)

WinEmpireHub is a great way to share the joys and frustrations,
elation and deflation of a good game of Empire. BlackBox beta tested
the new Hub during Retro with three co-rulers. Email traffic dropped
and fun was greatly enhanced. I often enjoyed watching from the
'surgical theatre' while Thistle pummeled unsuspecting neighbors :-)

Updated server details:
IP: 202.172.121.119
Direct Port: 6667 (the usual)
EmpHub Port: 6668 (with WinEmpHub)
Countries: 2 - 20
Passwords: 2 - 20

> Battle of New Byss Details:
> When: Sanctuary ships landing on Aug 6. First update on Monday, Aug 9.
> Where: IP: 202.172.121.119; Port 6665; Server (800 MHz, PIII) located
> in Sydney, Australia on a reliable 1024K/512K bps nailed-up DSL line.
> Updates: First two weeks: 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday thru Thursday;
> thereafter 10 pm EDT (USA) Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday
> Span: About 4-5 weeks to play
> Game Details: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm. Surf
> over to the "New Byss Game Details" page for the details (available
> after 10 pm EDT on 29-July).
> Register info: http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

WinEmpireHub

Introduction:

The WinEmpireHub is a Windows equivalent of the EmpireHub produced by
Drake Diedrich. The program allows multiple users (co-rulers) to
connect to a single country. Any of the users can send commands to
the server and all connected users see all output from the server. The
WinEmpireHub also supports multiple country teams (co-rulers)
simultaneously as well.

WinEmpireHub can be used with any empire client. It has been tested
with emp_client (4.2.16) and WinACE 2.4.14. It has not been tested
with any other clients like pktei.

Usage:

You connect the same way as connecting directly to the game server
except an alternate address and port will be used. For SW Empire, the
address will be the same but the port will be changed to 6668 instead
of 6667.

New Capabilities for all clients:

WinEmpireHub supports the following new commands:

lplayers

Provides a list of users (co-rulers) connected to your country through
the WinEmpireHub, the users are identified by user name. Equivalent to
players command but for the co-rulers instead.

lwall message

Send a message to all the users (co-rulers) connected to your country
through the WinEmpireHub. Equivalent to wall command but for the
co-rulers instead.

lflash user message

Send a message to the specified user (co-ruler) connected to your
country through the WinEmpireHub. The user is specified by user name.
Equivalent to flash command but for the co-rulers instead.

WinEmpireHub will display the commands sent to the server by other
users (co-rulers).

New Capabilities for WinACE users (2.4.14 or newer):

A chat window that supports the lflash and lwall commands.

A token/command scheme to allow command synchronization between WinACE
and WinEmpireHub. Without the command synchronization, WinACE
switches to expect a particular command output before its command is
submitted and can get errors parsing the current server output from
another user as it is not expecting the command output. This also
prevents another user from interfering with an interactive command.

The WinACE processes dump commands from other users (co-rulers).

Limitations:

The lplayers command can interfere with other command output, so it
should be use when the connection is idle.

If you use the current Windows version of emp_client you would be
identified as nobody.

The Hub will not work properly if two or more connections to a single
country use the same user name.

lflash and lwall only support message text on the command line, it
does not support multiple line mode. The message text can not exceed
1000 characters per message.

You can not use "ToKeN" or "ReLeAsE" at the beginning of a command to
the server, this includes the flash and telegram content.

WinEmpireHub does not support the list sanctuary command mode or the
kill process mode during the login process.

WinEmpireHub does not support login mode of WinACE to refresh the
BTU's. All the users must disconnect, then the WinEmpireHub will
disconnect from the server which will refresh the BTUs.

WinACE does not process all commands from other users only the dumps.
For example, enemy intelligence is not processed/record in the WinACE
database except for the requesting user.

WinACE will occasionally still get out of step in parsing. WinACE
will stop the WinEmpireHub sending data to the clients until warning
or error messages are acknowledged by WinACE users.

Troubleshooting:

WinACE's token/command mode can be reset by closing (X) the Chat
Window. This does not actually close the Chat window but does reset
the token/command mode and does minimized the window.

Logging out and back in will reset the individual connection to
WinEmpireHub. If the last user logs out then the WinEmpireHub
connection to the game server will be disconnected as well.

WinEmpireHub connection can be kill by logging directly into the game
server and use the kill option. This will disconnect all the users
connected to WinEmpireHub for that country.

Notes:

WinEmpireHub will connect to the server as WinHub user.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 1:16:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I forgot to mention that you will need the latest version of WinACE,
available from

http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm

look for "Download Latest WinACE"

Also, if you have been trying the hub with emp_client, we have a new
version of the hub going online shortly that should address some of
the problems.

Darth Dexter
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:32:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Final Call Star Wars Empire - Battle for New Byss

There are seven players and two NPCs registered to play.

Game opens Friday evening, August 6th, first update Monday evening,
August 9th.

Registration information at
http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Register.htm

Registration will close Sat AM (Sydney time), so hurry, hurry.

Game information at
http://www.pv.unsw.edu.au/jcotter/SWE/Endor.htm

Darth Dexter

August 5, 2004 1:54:04 PM

> Star Wars Empire - Battle for New Byss
>
> Game opens Friday evening, August 6th, first update Monday evening,
> August 9th.
>

> Registration will close Sat AM (Sydney time), so hurry, hurry.

Typo, or am I missing something here?

and a few final questions

How many players do we have?
What time friday will the game open?

Mark
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 5:37:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Star Wars Empire II - Battle for New Byss Update 2.14

The New Byss game started with 8 players and 2 NPCs. Four Light and
four Dark alignment countries. It's a tiny world 64x32 in dimension,
and only a few lakes and rivers adorn the countryside.

The world is now completely explored with the final disposal of the
first game NPC - the planet of New Byss itself with it's deity mil and
units. The second NPC, Dagnabbit Gr of Dalgo Corp. has made his
appearanceā€¦

Two countries have been eliminated and assimilated and two major
conflicts are raging. The first country to go was Gemini, who's ruler
suffered an unfortunate computer outage that saw him miss a few
updates, which eventually prompted the deities to hurl an asteroid at
him. The second was Saiph, who was apparently slowed by the New Byss
NPC and missed a few expansion opportunities. Saiph fought hard and
was a good sport, but got dog-piled by his greedy Dark-side
neighbours.

That leaves four Dark side and two Light side countries. Things are
not looking so good for the Rebel Forces right at the moment.

TrojHorse made the first offensive move, invading SoroSuub along a 10
sector border. Soro, who was busy untangling Saiph's mountain and
swamp defences, absorbed Troj's attack, gradually stiffening his
defences. The advance went about 2 or 3 sectors deep before
stabilising, though Troj and Soro continued to swap sectors, planes
and lands.

Meanwhile, The_Base began an all out assault on the wire. In brilliant
character, he begins his verbal assault...

> Announcement from The_Base, (#3) dated Mon Aug 23 12:12:10 2004

All dark side forces are hereby warned to evacuate the world
immediately.

followed by no fewer than 50 colorful and entertaining contris to the
wire.

The_Base also put his money where his mouth is, too, and launched an
invasion on his Dark Side neighbour and enemy 4th-Assault along yet
another 10 sector front. The battle raged in and around the swamps and
mountains and forts, which were hotly contested, and while The_Base
made early gains, he has been largely thrown back by a stiffening
4th-assault defence.

Yinchorr and R56 have kept a low profile, quietly expanding into
Gemini space and assimilating Saiph sectors. Their eminent arrival to
the diplomatic and military scene promises to be interesting, to say
the least. Our power report reads

- = [ Empire Power Report ] = -
as of Sun Aug 29 01:08:51 2004

sect eff civ mil shl gun pet irn dust oil pln shp unt money
Yinchorr 200 91% 88K 1.3K 1.1K 55 600 14K 1.6K 1.7K 40 3 40 3.5K
R56 165 71% 71K 1.5K 525 45 850 13K 950 3.4K 20 6 30 1.6K
TrojHorse 150 90% 61K 1.1K 875 50 450 5K 900 2.6K 20 4 20 1.8K
The_Base 130 69% 49K 1.2K 525 35 2.8K 9K 1.4K 2.1K 10 1 10 10K
4th-Assau 130 56% 47K 750 250 5 1.0K 6K 700 3.4K 10 1 10 106
SoroSuub 110 88% 38K 700 225 35 350 9K 950 2.2K 20 6 30 1.4K
Saiph 10 96% 3K 150 7 2 6 750 0 45 0 1 0 -1.7K
--- --- --- ---- ---- --- ---- -- --- ---- --- -- --- -----
worldwide 895 78% 356K 7K 3.6K 245 6.0K 58K 6.5K 16K 120 20 150 10K

DalgoCorp turns out to be an unofficial and unauthorised arms trader,
importing (and exporting) black market equipment to New Byss.
Dagnabbit Gr, the well known and highly untrustworthy President of
Dalgo Corp sent his calling card to the players this weekend...

> Announcement from DalgoCorp, (#10) dated Thu Aug 26 23:26:08 2004
Dear sirs,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Dagnabbit Gr. I'm what you might
call a war facilitator.

I politely notice that there seems to be a demand for, ehh...dual use
equipment on NewByss. Matching supply to such demand is my pleasure
and my specialty.

We at DalgoCorp take pride in our excellent selection of sports &
hunting supplies (large, thick-skinned beasts our specialty!), mod
kits, upgrades, and rare collectors items. Procuring and shipping
our kind of merchandise has occasionally proved to be problematic, so
best check with us for availability of your favourite toys.

Specifically, I happen to be in possession of some souped up crop
dusters suitable for aerobatics, so to speak, and a few overweight
tractors, if you know what I mean
  • . I'd like to dispose of these
    vehicles quickly and discreetly.

    Feel free to contact me at any time. Details are quite negotiable.
    Simply telegram me, Dagnabbit Gr, at DalgoCorp.

    Sincerely and with confidence,
    Dagnabbit Gr, DalgoCorp President and CEO

    After some private negotiation with the players, DalgoCorp made its
    first few lots of goodies available on the trading block. (The trading
    block is modified in this game to allow NPCs to buy and sell, however
    players can only buy goods.) DalgoCorp's offerings included some state
    of the art toys that not all players could build, due to the unit
    selection rules (players can only build a subset of the total possible
    units) and the usual tech thresholds:

    Empire Trade Report
    Sun Aug 29 06:50:03 2004
    lot high bid owner description
    --- -------- ----- -------------------------
    0 $ 1584 ( 10) tech 140 42% tbl Turbo Laser [s:20 g:4 ] #147
    1 $ 935 ( 10) tech 140 52% flt FH Light Tank [] #148
    2 $ 341 ( 10) tech 130 100% plm Byss Plasma Missile #121
    3 $ 341 ( 10) tech 130 100% plm Byss Plasma Missile #120
    4 $ 330 ( 10) tech 130 100% con Rodian Conc. Rocket #123
    5 $ 330 ( 10) tech 130 100% con Rodian Conc. Rocket #122

    Players snapped up all the units, at a small profit to DalgoCorp. Who
    knows what profitable mischief Dagnabbit/DalgoCorp NPC will get up to
    this week :-)

    The game now switches from 5 updates-per-week to 3 updates-per-week,
    giving players some slack for their other lives. Light tanks and
    artillery are expected to appear on the battle field any time now, and
    that together with Yinchorr and R56 joining the big conflicts should
    help to stir things up a bit!

    Until next time...

    Darths Dexter, RonK and Dorwinion
    !