My Docs off the Toolbar

In display properties I can select not to display
My Documents & Network Places on desktop;
however if I choose not to “Display Desktop Icons“
and select “Desktop Toolbar� they show up in the
tool bar. What is the solution to this long standing
bug in Windows, please?

JS

Will wrote:
> In display properties I can select not to display
> My Documents & Network Places on desktop;
> however if I choose not to "Display Desktop Icons"
> and select "Desktop Toolbar� they show up in the
> tool bar. What is the solution to this long standing
> bug in Windows, please?

Hi Will

I hate using the desktop toolbar because you can't control it properly.
Why not create your own toolbar using pure shortcuts (New Toolbar...,
browse to folder)? Then, you can have whatever you want in there
regardless of the desktop.

HTH

There is no bug idiot.

"Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE18A216-0D49-41ED-90FE-27CC7C4DD8E0@microsoft.com...
> In display properties I can select not to display
> My Documents & Network Places on desktop;
> however if I choose not to “Display Desktop Icons“
> and select “Desktop Toolbar” they show up in the
> tool bar. What is the solution to this long standing
> bug in Windows, please?

If you choose to show My Documents & Network
Places on desktop then you right click, delete them,
you get a warning and they are deselected from desktop
display. They do not come back until you opt for their
display. In the toolbar, you get the same message but
they come back to tool bar if, for example, you clear
history in Internet Explorer.
I don’t see how the fact that there is a bug makes me
an idiot and hope that there is someone capable of a
reasonable answer to a reasonable question in this
Forum which is for that purpose.

"David Candy" wrote:

> There is no bug idiot.

> "Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE18A216-0D49-41ED-90FE-27CC7C4DD8E0@microsoft.com...
> > In display properties I can select not to display
> > My Documents & Network Places on desktop;
> > however if I choose not to “Display Desktop Icons“
> > and select “Desktop Toolbar� they show up in the
> > tool bar. What is the solution to this long standing
> > bug in Windows, please?

It hides it from the desktop - note HIDE not REMOVE. No bug. You prefer to editorialise. There is no bug and it is a new feature in XP

"Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9288A80-C03B-470C-BA86-DE6C6234808D@microsoft.com...
> If you choose to show My Documents & Network
> Places on desktop then you right click, delete them,
> you get a warning and they are deselected from desktop
> display. They do not come back until you opt for their
> display. In the toolbar, you get the same message but
> they come back to tool bar if, for example, you clear
> history in Internet Explorer.
> I don’t see how the fact that there is a bug makes me
> an idiot and hope that there is someone capable of a
> reasonable answer to a reasonable question in this
> Forum which is for that purpose.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> There is no bug idiot.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Will" <Will@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE18A216-0D49-41ED-90FE-27CC7C4DD8E0@microsoft.com...
>> > In display properties I can select not to display
>> > My Documents & Network Places on desktop;
>> > however if I choose not to “Display Desktop Icons“
>> > and select “Desktop Toolbar” they show up in the
>> > tool bar. What is the solution to this long standing
>> > bug in Windows, please?

TRENDING THREADS