peter

I downloaded a zip file with a program file (.exe) in it (it was legal, an
installer for an aircraft for fs2004)
Upon trying to run it, windows announced it was unsafe, and didn't let me.

Fine, so i tried to extract it.

Nope, unsafe.

I downloaded Winzip, which told me it was unsafe, but gave me the option to
proceed.

Along with my other post (in the messenger forum), why has MS suddenly taken
this stance of not just warning, but flat-out prohibiting users from
performing certain tasks? It's not even giving us the option of doing things
that we -know- are safe.
WHY?!

A mindset change with Microsoft related to Operating Systems. Over
the years, Windows was designed for ease of use, not security. SP2
changes that, so the common operations which can be dangerous are
either "Flagged" or prohibited. You aren't blocked entirely from your
download, you just need to toggle a setting to allow it to run. When
you clicked the file - it should have presented a usage box where you
can allow or deny it to run.

>I downloaded a zip file with a program file (.exe) in it (it was legal, an
> installer for an aircraft for fs2004)
> Upon trying to run it, windows announced it was unsafe, and didn't let me.
>
> Fine, so i tried to extract it.
>
> Nope, unsafe.
>
> I downloaded Winzip, which told me it was unsafe, but gave me the option
> proceed.
>
> Along with my other post (in the messenger forum), why has MS suddenly
> taken
> this stance of not just warning, but flat-out prohibiting users from
> performing certain tasks? It's not even giving us the option of doing
> things
> that we -know- are safe.
> WHY?!

peter

I can't check now (due to an inability to be bothered to uninstall winzip)
But i'm fairly sure it was just an OK button.
Probably wrong though...
I know that sometimes Messenger allows me to download a file, but then if i
click on it within the window, it warns me and deletes the file without
telling/asking me. Admitedly this is using a "patch" to allow it in the first
place.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> A mindset change with Microsoft related to Operating Systems. Over
> the years, Windows was designed for ease of use, not security. SP2
> changes that, so the common operations which can be dangerous are
> either "Flagged" or prohibited. You aren't blocked entirely from your
> download, you just need to toggle a setting to allow it to run. When
> you clicked the file - it should have presented a usage box where you
> can allow or deny it to run.
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded a zip file with a program file (.exe) in it (it was legal, an
> > installer for an aircraft for fs2004)
> > Upon trying to run it, windows announced it was unsafe, and didn't let me.
> >
> > Fine, so i tried to extract it.
> >
> > Nope, unsafe.
> >
> > I downloaded Winzip, which told me it was unsafe, but gave me the option
> > proceed.
> >
> > Along with my other post (in the messenger forum), why has MS suddenly
> > taken
> > this stance of not just warning, but flat-out prohibiting users from
> > performing certain tasks? It's not even giving us the option of doing
> > things
> > that we -know- are safe.
> > WHY?!

Good Luck with it - Most of these new Alerts/Blocks are just to
raise awareness with the user of potential threats. Windows isn't
trying to stop you from using the PC for whatever you want -
just inform folks of where some of these Malware/"Baddies" get
a toe-hold on your computer.