Sign in with
Your question

PC wont boot after trojan removal

Last response: in Windows 7
August 25, 2012 12:45:08 AM

Hey experts I need your help again. I have an Acer desktop (AX1420G-U5832) with Windows7 64 bit which recently got a trojan. Microsoft Security Essentials partially removed it so I burned Microsoft Defender to a disc and booted my computer from the disc. Defender ran and removed the trojan successfully. Unfortunately, when I tried to reboot my computer to Winows normally it wouldnt. The Acer logo appers like normal but the next screen is a black screen with blinking cursor. It does nothing.

I am able to access the BIOS menu with DEL.

I am able to access the boot device menu with F12. I'm currently booting from the hard drive.

I have tried CTRL ALT DEL at the black screen and it automatically restarts the computer back to the black screen.

I am completely lost now. Im assuming Windows is corrupted now or something. Acer doesnt send recovery discs of course so I havent tried that yet. It was running fine prior to utilizing Windows Defender. Any ideas before I take it to the local shop? Thanks in advance for all your help.
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 12:54:55 AM

sounds like the hard drive master boot record is damaged. if you have a full version of windows install cd you can try and so a fix mbr. there also this cd here http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
that has a lot of data and drive tools.
make a bootable cd or usb stick and see if you can fix the mbr.
if it not the mbr boot using the mini xp boot on that cd and see if your data still there. the bad viruses will wipe the data off the drive and you have to start fresh.
m
l
August 25, 2012 1:16:12 AM

smorizio said:
sounds like the hard drive master boot record is damaged. if you have a full version of windows install cd you can try and so a fix mbr. there also this cd here http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
that has a lot of data and drive tools.
make a bootable cd or usb stick and see if you can fix the mbr.
if it not the mbr boot using the mini xp boot on that cd and see if your data still there. the bad viruses will wipe the data off the drive and you have to start fresh.

I second this opinion. Hiren's is an amazing tool.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2012 6:46:50 PM

So I am currently using the Hirens disk. I am in the mini xp. All my fils re stll there. opened te MBRutility but am unsure how to use it. Any suggestions on how I fix the MBR?
m
l
August 25, 2012 9:09:54 PM

Well I burned the Windows 7 .iso to a dvd and am attempting a clean reinstall. After accepting the terms and conditions an error pops up.

"windows installation encountered unexpected error.verfy that the installation sources are accssible, and restart the installation." eror code 0xe0000100

Suggestion?
m
l
!