800 mhz PIII and 512 MB SDRAM OK for WinXP ??

Should be - Might want to turn off some of the "Eye Candy" GUI
features, to help it's performance. You didn't mention which vendor
model so I would visit the Vendor website and see if they have any
Tech notes on using Windows XP. Also verify that all the hardware
you use have XP drivers. If you plan to do an upgrade from a 9X
or ME OS, be sure to run the Upgrade Advisor before starting. It
will flag any hardware or software issues. As always, backup your
personal data before you begin the XP install.

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

What video card?

Unlike others, I won't give you a direct answer!

It all depends upon what YOU want to do with your computer. Do you just want
to e-mail, type letters and browse the internet? Sure it is.

If on the other hand, you want to get into heavy gaming, video editing,
AutoCAD, PhotoShop, CD/DVD creation etc. - there's a good chance that you
will NOT be satisfied with the performance!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

scar

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

I run WinXpProSP2 on P2 350 ,256MB SDRAM without any problems.

Chuck

Yes, I had good luck with a Pentium II, 450 Mhz and 384 Meg of RAM.

In news:Jawve.98115$El.50601@pd7tw1no,
Daniel <NotReal@yahoo.com> typed:

> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows
> XP ?

"Fast and good enough" is in the eye of the beholder. One person
can be very happy with what the next person thinks is too slow.
It also depends on what apps you run.

That said, I think it should be just fine for average use.

Please reply to the newsgroup

tarzan

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Yes.

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
|
| Thank you,
|
| Daniel

Alias

I have an AMD 800 Mhz HP Pavilion with 256MB RAM and it runs OK, although
with 512, it would run better.

Alias

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote

> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

peter

As he said.
With only 256mb of RAM you'll soon find that it's constantly accessing the
hard disk when it runs out of free RAM. If it's possible try putting another
256mb stick into it. If it's a laptop then adding more ram theoretically
increases the battery life because it spends less time accessing the hard
disk (because that's where it stores the information that doesn't fit in the
RAM)
This is very badly explained, sorry!
Summary=
Yes, but more RAM = Good

"Alias" wrote:

> I have an AMD 800 Mhz HP Pavilion with 256MB RAM and it runs OK, although
> with 512, it would run better.
>
> Alias
>
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Daniel

bytor

In article <ebVt6$leFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, rharris270[SPAM]
@hotmail.com, Bob Harris says...

> Yes, I had good luck with a Pentium II, 450 Mhz and 384 Meg of RAM.
>
> "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Daniel

I'll see that & lower ya a PII / 300Mhz / 160M ram..... ;0)

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Daniel

It depends.

On what you intend to run on the computer, and your expectations. So a yes
with possible reservations.
(The machine I'm using to send this is a P3 550 overclocked at 617MHz and it
performs most tasks adequately, but for editing large graphics I use a P4
that's a lot faster. I have some spreadsheets that benefit from the faster
machine, but this is fine for most things).

Daniel

It's an IBM Thinkpad A21M 2628-GSU. It's mostly for email, internet,
occassional DVD viewing, CD-R burning and using the "line in" to upload some
audio tapes and perhaps use cool edit 2000 to "edit" them. That's pretty
much what I would be using it for.

Thanks very much to all who replied! Much appreciated! :)))

~Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> Would this system be fast and "good enough" to run on Windows XP ?

For a basic system, yeah, OK. If you start using photoshop/other,etc and
edit very large files ram will be an isssue. And dont count on that
brand new game to work satisfactorally, tho games 1 year old or more
will/should work OK.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Richard Urban wrote:

> If on the other hand, you want to get into heavy gaming, video editing,
> AutoCAD, PhotoShop, CD/DVD creation etc. - there's a good chance that you
> will NOT be satisfied with the performance!

The latest photoshop seems to be a larger issue lately.....

Alias

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> Richard Urban wrote:
>>
>> If on the other hand, you want to get into heavy gaming, video editing,
>> AutoCAD, PhotoShop, CD/DVD creation etc. - there's a good chance that you
>> will NOT be satisfied with the performance!
>
> The latest photoshop seems to be a larger issue lately.....

Yeah, I have PS 6 on an 800 Mhz, 256MB RAM and it works OK.

Alias