pat

Expert
Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Well, we ran the first 2K4 Empire test game into the ground. There were
a couple of obvious flaws with che, ship firing ranges, revolting, and
sector oldowners.

After hiring a brilliant consultant that worked for free (okay, it was me)
it looks like all the above problems were fixed. At least I believe they
were fixed.

I have also since made a few more minor changes. (EASY_BRIDGE had to go.
But they always get abused in blitz type games.) I've added a few units
and ships and tweaked the plane ranges again.

Now, for those of you who weren't paying attention last time because you
got your thumb stuck in your beer bottle, Empire 2K4 is an experimental
brand of Empire. Aside from a few this's and that's, the major addition
to the game is a few new layers of micro-management. Okay, okay, just kidding.
2K4 adds a new feature to the game called Country Attributes.

There are 7 different attributes you can choose from when you break. All
of them are described in the info file "2K4". I won't belabor the newsgroup
with them. You may log onto the server's visitor account and read all you
want.

Test game #2 is now up. The host/port is multi.usr.ch/6665. Countries
are numbered 1-20. Updates are scheduled every 4 hours and use up 32 ETUs.
Curently the updates are disabled. I will enable them in less than 24
hours. I'd also include the "version" output, but for the most part that
doesn't apply (unless you really really have to know just how much tax money
your civ's are going to pay.)

Oh, for those of you who played in the last game, thanks. You were a big
help. Also, I deep-sixed all those plains sectors. Man, were those ugly
to look at.

Pat
AKA Overlord

lloyd

"Pat" <overlord@multi.usr.ch> wrote in message

> Well, we ran the first 2K4 Empire test game into the ground. There were
> a couple of obvious flaws with che, ship firing ranges, revolting, and
> sector oldowners.
>
> After hiring a brilliant consultant that worked for free (okay, it was me)
> it looks like all the above problems were fixed. At least I believe they
> were fixed.
>
> I have also since made a few more minor changes. (EASY_BRIDGE had to go.
> But they always get abused in blitz type games.) I've added a few units
> and ships and tweaked the plane ranges again.
>
> Now, for those of you who weren't paying attention last time because you
> got your thumb stuck in your beer bottle, Empire 2K4 is an experimental
> brand of Empire. Aside from a few this's and that's, the major addition
> to the game is a few new layers of micro-management. Okay, okay, just
kidding.
> 2K4 adds a new feature to the game called Country Attributes.
>
> There are 7 different attributes you can choose from when you break. All
> of them are described in the info file "2K4". I won't belabor the
newsgroup
> with them. You may log onto the server's visitor account and read all you
> want.
>
> Test game #2 is now up. The host/port is multi.usr.ch/6665. Countries
> are numbered 1-20. Updates are scheduled every 4 hours and use up 32
ETUs.
> Curently the updates are disabled. I will enable them in less than 24
> hours. I'd also include the "version" output, but for the most part that
> doesn't apply (unless you really really have to know just how much tax
money
> your civ's are going to pay.)
>
> Oh, for those of you who played in the last game, thanks. You were a big
> help. Also, I deep-sixed all those plains sectors. Man, were those ugly
> to look at.
>
> Pat
> AKA Overlord

I'm curious as to why the currently running games are all non-standard.
Either
with Vulcans -vs- Ewoks, or without civilians? What's the deal?

-Lloyd

"LLoyd" <Lloyd.FergussenNOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message

> I'm curious as to why the currently running games are all non-standard.
> Either with Vulcans -vs- Ewoks, or without civilians? What's the deal?

it's dealer's choice. some people prefer five card stud, some prefer crazy
pineapple, some people prefer indian seven card hi-lo pass-the-trash
doctor pepper.

"LLoyd" <Lloyd.FergussenNOSPAM@aol.com> writes:

> I'm curious as to why the currently running games are all non-standard.
> Either
> with Vulcans -vs- Ewoks, or without civilians? What's the deal?

Because we can?

I figure some of the experiments are motivated by (real or perceived)
shortcomings of the stock game, while others are just for fun.

Nothing wrong with either, but somebody run another plain jane game,
please.