Sign in with
Your question

What Speakers ?

Last response: in Components
May 15, 2004 7:05:59 PM

Wrong forum but I am desperate

Hello, I am wondering what speakers I should get, I need some good ones with good range, Music and gaming is what I do mostly, but mainly gaming. FPS/RPG/Strategy.

I have in mind....

Logitech Z680
Zalman 5.1 headphones
Creative Gigaworks 7.1 S750 ( or go 5.1)

I know I am getting Sounblaster Audigy 2 ZS already. But I need to find out quick what to get. My left speaker just died :p . I only have the right and the Sub. ......

I am wondering what Freq response is too..
My budget is $350 U.S. w/o shipping

Also should have a good warranty.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Primedeath on 05/15/04 03:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : speakers

May 16, 2004 12:11:27 AM

yeah, for 350 get that

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
May 16, 2004 5:18:03 AM

ok... but WHY get those?
May 16, 2004 11:47:50 AM

because you want to play games and that thing has 170 watt sub to rock yer armchair

May 16, 2004 12:29:22 PM

The Klipsch "Frequency Response: 25Hz - 20,000Hz +/- 5dB"
The Creative "Response Bandwidth - 25 - 40000 Hz"

The Klipsch " Subwoofer: 170watts"
The Creative " 1 x subwoofer - 210 Watt "
May 16, 2004 8:08:57 PM

I don't know about your ears, but usually human ear can hear anything from 20 almost 20,000 Hz (well you can "feel" down to 16 but those bring fear to human body). So if you think you can hear ultrasound, go ahead, get those.

PS: my earphones have 8-38,000 Hz range and ever though I don't think I can hear anything past normal hear-ability, but what the heck at least I have the frequencies there in case I ever become a dolphin.

PSS: it is not the range of frequencies, but the ability to PRODUCE the right ones at the right output power and clarity make speakers worthy..

PSSS: anything more than 100W in a game play is overkill...

May 17, 2004 1:09:50 AM

lol, I gotta agree with you there. Ya never know tho, he could grow fins at any moment...I mean look at all the cell phone radiation out there!

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply
May 17, 2004 2:08:40 AM

No matter which camp you're in, fans of both Klipsh Ultras and Creative Gigaworks seem to agree that Klipsh does bass better whereas Creative has the highs and mids down pat. Is the disparity between the two that great? Right now I have Z-640's, so either would be an improvement; I'm a fan, however, of vocals and guitar solos--does this mean I like highs and mids over bass and should therefore go for the Gigaworks? Thanks for any input, and my apologies for piggybacking off of the poster's post.
-johnnyboy
May 17, 2004 2:59:31 AM

Hell no, you atleast have something to bring :)  I would think that Creative would be better OVERALL instead of just bass
May 17, 2004 4:00:04 AM

screw the bass, it is a bass, nothing biggy, get vocals and treables, the brighter the treables the better over all the system will sound. so whichever is crisper on the top, is THE better solution for listening to guitar (which i am fan also)

May 17, 2004 2:00:24 PM

Creative seems like it would be better all around
May 19, 2004 9:59:56 PM

I can only comment on the Z680s since I have only heard those since I have a pair. The sound picture is too skewed for my liking with way too much bass, very nice middle and poor treble at "normal" volumes. If you like to really crank the sound they get better, but since I have neighbors I am rarely able to play at those volumes.
The bass is so overpowering that if I want to use them after 10pm I have to turn the bass off completely, so be warned.
However, if you like it loud an boomy these are the speakers for you.

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024
May 20, 2004 3:39:43 AM

hehe, as I've said, "screw the bass" get THE high end (that's probably the reason I still keep my MS80 around, ZEE best&cleanest highs I've heard in 2.1 system)

May 24, 2004 1:20:58 PM

Yep, but for 100 bucks they are a steal, hehe. In case you wonder they were bought legally through some contacts at Ingram Micro.
Anyways, for normal stuff I still use my old Altec Lansing AC48s. Still great after all these years...

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024
June 20, 2004 8:57:42 AM

I hear from a lot of people that the Promedia Ultras have better mid and highs that the Gigaworks. I also hear that the Ultras have less bass that the Gigaworks. What it comes down to is what pleasures your ears.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"
June 20, 2004 11:50:04 AM

My Altec Lansing 641's rule.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>
June 21, 2004 11:03:23 PM

http://www.music123.com/Alesis-ProActive-5-1-System-i94...

a bit mover ur budget but it's decent!

ASUS A7N8X, xp3200@ 2211Mhz, 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(211mhz), Segate 200g 8mb/120g 8mb/80g 2mb ATA100, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs, 2x UAD-1, TC Powercore, Motu896 firewire
June 22, 2004 11:36:43 PM

What no one has talked about is the inputs on the Logitech speakers. They have a built-in decoder (Klipsch doesn't), and they have mini-jack, optical, and digital coaxial inputs. That means if you are like me, you can run the mini-jacks from your soundcard, the optical from your console, and the digital coaxial from your dvd player into the speakers at the same time and just switch to whatever you're using at the time. Also, the Logitechs have held <i>Maximum PC</i>'s "gear of the year" for almost 2 years, they dethroned the Klipsh Promedias. Anyway, go to newegg and read some reviews of all those speakers.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl
June 23, 2004 5:21:59 AM

The ultrasonic scanners at the doors of my public library used to drive me NUTS!!! They were probably just barely above the normal hearing range, which meant that only a minority of people could hear them. But people did complain, it wasn't "just me".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 23, 2004 6:15:31 AM

Most "out of range" sounds can still be "felt" by peepel's "hearing", but not actually heard (brain does not "trarsate" it into usefull (known) information). It's like sound of 16Hz (fear wave) can not be heard, but peepel start to fear something after a while, sound of 22kHz+ brings peepel to head achs.

June 23, 2004 6:30:04 AM

You don't feel high pitched noises though, and I heard this sound, it was a high pitched whine. It wasn't very loud.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 23, 2004 3:33:13 PM

hey, I did not say that you did not hear it, I just stated the fact for most of us normal dudes and dudets. It is not my fault that there are dolphins among us ;) 

PS: I myself is one as well ;) 

July 16, 2004 8:37:43 PM

What do you mean 16htz being a "fear" wave? What exactly do you mean? I dont think I have heard somthing this low.

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"
July 17, 2004 2:10:49 AM

You can't hear notes that low with your ears, but you can feel the vibration with the sense of touch. And also...

Yes psychologists have observed that subsonic notes at high volume can make people uneasy. Makes sense to me, the only things in nature that make those kinds of sounds are like elephants, whales, crocodiles, earthquakes, and other events where very large forces are at work (like a huge tree being blown down by high wind). I wouldn't be surprised if movies use it to create tension.

Also, unless the tone is a PERFECT sine wave there will be aubible overtones present, so you won't be able to hear the actual 16Hz note, but you'll be able to hear a note at 24Hz, 32Hz, 48Hz, 64Hz, and so on (3:2, 2:1, 6:4, 4:1, etc - overtones with the simplist relationship to the fundimental can be heard more clearly - the more overtones present the richer the note sounds. Sound frequencies follow a logarithmic scale. If you double the frequency you get a note one octave higher, that is from "doe," "ray," "me," up to "doe" for those non-musically inclined).

Ultrsonic sounds can also affect aubible sounds, due to the same principals of harmonics at even integer ratios. 32KHz would be near impossible to detect if played simultaneously with a note at 4KHz because the two tones share nearly all overtones (32:4 = 2:1 + 2:1 + 2:1 + 2:1), and the lower note cannot be a perfect sine wave, which has no overtones). If you change the higher note to 22KHz then you will hear tones at all the even integer ratios between the two tones (22:4 = 2:1 + 2:1 + 3:2). There will be a standing wave (audible tone) at 6KHz (3:2), 8KHz (2:1), 12KHz (3:2 + 3:2), 14KHz (3:2 + 2:1), and 16KHz (2:1 + 2:1), etc... The tones that will stick out are the ones at 6KHz and 14KHz because they would not be present if not for the ultrasonic tone.

So yes, both subsonic and ultrasonic tones can change the quality of audible sounds. This is why there is no substitute for seeing a live performance.

The thing is, as soon as they record it they also record all of the overtones and interference patterns, so you don't NEED speakers that can reproduce all of this because you're hearing the same result (this is assuming that the recording is high quality enough to make a difference, GIGO they say). Unless you have very VERY good ears you won't be able to tell the difference. I have a very good ear, and I can't.

Sorry for the novel, didn't plan it that way when I started.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis
July 17, 2004 2:21:01 AM

Thanks. That does explain a lot. I do enjoy the reading so the long post is appreciated.

August 14, 2004 11:48:31 PM

Just as a reply, The 680's have functionality, but klipsch has the better sound. IMO

September 7, 2004 2:35:14 AM

The klipsch rule but i'll tell you people a little secret the klipsch ultra's have a fVcked up power supply and the headphone jack is also messed up when the speakers switch from headphone to speakers the power supply over time blows out (+/= 30 days) if you use the headphone jack frequently because of a power surge.
I've had to switch my speakers twice already I tried the creative 750s but they just dont cut it their built cheap and there is just a pain hanging up all those speakers and way too many wires. The 7.1 setup itself is very nice but as i said before just sounds worse.
But i just wanted to let you know that the difference is so small that you will only feel the difference while playing a movie. I think that all three systems are great and you cant go wrong with any of them if its your first sytem go with the logitechs Its the cheapest solution and offers the most in connections
Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents

System Spec's:
Asus P4c800-E 3.2e @3.8ghz
1gb corsair xms pro2-2-2-5 aiw 9800 pro
audigy 2zs klipsch ultra's
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s
September 7, 2004 3:57:59 AM

What was that? Your first paragraph is unreadable. I can not make out your whole first paragraph. (+/= 30 days)???

September 8, 2004 2:33:36 AM

i think he means +/- in other words in about 30 days ur screwed
September 8, 2004 2:40:31 AM

to translate lb's post: he is saying that if you use headphones a lot of the time it's not a good idea to use klipsch speakers...for some reason (i dont know if this is right or not but i'll take his word for it since he has teh damn things) when it goes from "speaker" mode to "headphone" mode there is a major change in the amount of power needed and it creates a surge, which over time degrades the power supply (i assume he's talking about the speaker's power supply)...i am an apprentice electrician, and if it is true that there is a sudden flux in power from one mode to another, then yes the power will feedback into the power supply b/c it has nowhere to go...so i'd watch it w/ teh klipsch speakers....
September 8, 2004 3:14:21 AM

Well that makes sence. I always thaught headphone jacks on speakers where a joke anyhow. Id rather use headphones on my soundcard.

September 8, 2004 3:51:39 AM

Sorry everyone It was just really really late.Thank Atreidae I couldnt of said it better myself ltterally. Everything I wrote is true and if you dont believe me I encourage you to go onto the klipsch forums and you will see for yourself. If you actually look carefully you can see that this happens 2 or three times to the same person. Except the power supply part because nowbody has bothered to open their subwoofer, their affraid of voiding their warranty. the first time they broke after 2 weeks the second time 3 weeks. And the real reason there is a power surge is on the logitech z-680 the volume switches and the volume on the speakers is muted, but on the klipsch's the volume is turned off. The actual surge happens when switching back from headphone mode to speaker mode. After they blow only the headphones work.
Hope I saved a few people from having a pain in the @ss just get the logitechs or the creatives If you dont need a headphone jack get the klipsch's they sound the best but you could get screwed over.
The regular klipsch's also had a problem.
by the way
Logitech Z680 $209 at amazon.com shipped free

System Spec's:
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lb19984 on 09/08/04 00:59 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 8, 2004 2:45:12 PM

yeah...thats wat i do...of course...my current seakers have a headphone plug...but its on teh BASE of the speaker...so i cant use it unless i set the speaker on its back....lol...i soo need to build a new comp :D 
September 8, 2004 6:49:22 PM

Post deleted by lb19984
wow, that was a stupid reply<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lb19984 on 09/09/04 00:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 9, 2004 12:49:22 AM

np w/ the translation lb....i know how the time of day can effect one's clarity of thought...and if you were referring to ur system specs....well...i'll just put up the ones for my current comp

P3 1000Mhz
256 MB Mem
inno3d mx 400 64 mb vid card
matsonic mobo
ob sound
wd 80 gb caviar
lite-on 522452 cdrw

and thats it ladies and genlemen...my current comp

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Atreidae on 09/08/04 08:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 9, 2004 4:09:52 AM

i dont think there are any ladies here

System Spec's:
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s
September 9, 2004 4:52:52 AM

My specs are all real
Actually before i got this computer and the one before that one and a few more back i had the same exact except specs with a dual p3 1000 Wow what a coincidence.
i'm just kidding
So whats stopping you? cant find time
here let me get you started
p4s800 mobo $70
3.2e $230
cdrw $30
dvd $20
wd 1200jb $82
memmory 1gb $170
9700 pro $150
audigy 2zs $76
case $50
floppy $8
changing your specs on toms
pirceless

System Spec's:
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s
September 9, 2004 9:28:49 PM

what do you mean by "sadly", I think otherwize, we need women only for seks, that's it.., ladies will only mess up our man2man conversations, women can't understand men's talk in no way, so why do we need any body that is useless here.

PS: 3 men went fishing, standing at the shore with fishing polls in hands they are waiting for fish to bite. After about 3 hours one says to the other: "Don.. anything?", "No" he replied. The third man (Mike) says: "I don't have anything either"... After about 2 more hours same fella asks again: "Don.. anything", "No" he replied. Third one says again: "I still don't have anything also"... in couple more hours Don say to the man talking to him before: "Ron, we won't take Mike with us next time", "Heh, why?" asked Ron, "He talks too much" Don replied.

PSS: heh, and you want to bring ladies here?

September 10, 2004 4:20:30 AM

good joke

System Spec's:
74gb raptor wd 2000jb
pioneer 108 pioneer 120s
September 11, 2004 2:25:10 AM

nah...i got the $$ i got the system specd out and all...i just dont hae the time...i'm a full time college student and between classes and work i have no time to build a comp right now

P3 1000Mhz
256 MB Mem
inno3d mx400 64mb
matsonic mobo
on board sound
wd 80 gb caviar
lite-on 522452 cdrw

pity me
September 11, 2004 6:48:08 AM

So it all could be a lot worse right?

System Spec's: