Access denied Disk may be write protected or file in use

I keep getting the following error now on many files in "My documents":

Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use

I have seen this question being asked here before and the answer has been to
use the "who lock me" utility or even BART PE. Some of these files won't
even respond to those programs.

Why does this happen? So much so the safest option for me is to not use the
"My docs" folder. I think XP has this security thing so tight it messes it
up for everyone.

I hope someone can shed some light here.
2 answers Last reply
More about access denied disk write protected file

    Were these files created with another user account, or was windows
    reinstalled on this machine?

    Please see this kb article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech about
    taking ownership of the files.

    Justin Zellers

    "jm7" wrote:

    > I keep getting the following error now on many files in "My documents":
    >
    > Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use
    >
    > I have seen this question being asked here before and the answer has been to
    > use the "who lock me" utility or even BART PE. Some of these files won't
    > even respond to those programs.
    >
    > Why does this happen? So much so the safest option for me is to not use the
    > "My docs" folder. I think XP has this security thing so tight it messes it
    > up for everyone.
    >
    > I hope someone can shed some light here.

    Thanks a million Justin,

    Another gem of an article - and I have been messing around with this issue
    all year!

    John

    "Justin Zellers" <JustinZellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Were these files created with another user account, or was windows
    > reinstalled on this machine?
    >
    > Please see this kb article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    about
    > taking ownership of the files.
    >
    > Justin Zellers
    >
    > "jm7" wrote:
    >
    > > I keep getting the following error now on many files in "My documents":
    > >
    > > Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use
    > >
    > > I have seen this question being asked here before and the answer has
    been to
    > > use the "who lock me" utility or even BART PE. Some of these files
    won't
    > > even respond to those programs.
    > >
    > > Why does this happen? So much so the safest option for me is to not use
    the
    > > "My docs" folder. I think XP has this security thing so tight it messes
    it
    > > up for everyone.
    > >
    > > I hope someone can shed some light here.

Windows XP