Access denied Disk may be write protected or file in use

June 27, 2005 2:39:22 AM

I keep getting the following error now on many files in "My documents":

Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use

I have seen this question being asked here before and the answer has been to
use the "who lock me" utility or even BART PE. Some of these files won't
even respond to those programs.

Why does this happen? So much so the safest option for me is to not use the
"My docs" folder. I think XP has this security thing so tight it messes it
up for everyone.

I hope someone can shed some light here.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:39:23 AM

Were these files created with another user account, or was windows
reinstalled on this machine?

Please see this kb article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech about
taking ownership of the files.

Justin Zellers

"jm7" wrote:

> I keep getting the following error now on many files in "My documents":
>
> Access denied: Disk may be write protected or file in use
>
> I have seen this question being asked here before and the answer has been to
> use the "who lock me" utility or even BART PE. Some of these files won't
> even respond to those programs.
>
> Why does this happen? So much so the safest option for me is to not use the
> "My docs" folder. I think XP has this security thing so tight it messes it
> up for everyone.
>
> I hope someone can shed some light here.

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:30:45 AM

Thanks a million Justin,

Another gem of an article - and I have been messing around with this issue
all year!

John

news:D 94A9623-4CCE-4BA9-B003-1DF4D70004EC@microsoft.com...