Sign in with
Your question

Which 24" to choose?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 22, 2006 1:27:05 PM

Hi, I been trying to find out which monitor performs better at hi res (1920x1200) and the only refresh rate I found was the HP- 60 Hz.

ACER AL2423 1920x1200, 1000:1, 500 cd/m², 6ms, analog, digital

DELL UltraSharp 2407WFP TCO99, 16:10 Wide, 1920x1200, 1000:1, 450 cd/m², 6ms, Analog, Digital, S-Video, Composite, Component, USB 2.0 Hub, Card reader, Audio (optional)

HP LP2465 (EF224A4) TCO03, 1920x1200, 1000:1, 500 cd/m², 6ms, Analog, Digital (2x DVI)

SAMSUNG SyncMaster 244T TCO03, 16:10 Wide, 1920x1200, 1000 cd/m², 500:1, Analog, Digital, Pivot , 6ms

Right now Im leaning more toward the HP as its the only monitor I found full info. Help me choose, these monitors are sorta in the same price range.

Thx

More about : choose

August 22, 2006 6:17:24 PM

I own the Samsung 244T and have been very happy with it thusfar. Note that its brightness is 500 cd/m^2 and has 1000:1 contrast (at least the specs say so). I notice some slight ghosting at high framerates on dark to dark images, but overall it's pretty crisp once the monitor's drivers are installed. Color is beautiful and pretty damn uniform, though you may want to tweak with the custom settings to get the brightness and contrast right. Some of the presets are set too bright and bleach out the whites. Tons of video connections, HDCP certification (for HD content), and a lotta pivot options to boot.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Dell model, and rumors that the Acer in fact has only an analog connection, no dvi.

As for the HP, I'm not sure. I stopped researching before that monitor was released, but it seems like a solid choice.

Hope some of that helps!
August 22, 2006 6:54:55 PM

Well yeah, they all have nearly the same specifics, though as I say I couldnt find the refresh rates. This Acer model IS dvi, though I heard one review that said that the ms is 16, not 6 as said officially.

Thx for help.
Related resources
August 23, 2006 12:01:38 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, they all have nearly the same specifics, though as I say I couldnt find the refresh rates. This Acer model IS dvi, though I heard one review that said that the ms is 16, not 6 as said officially.

Thx for help.

The 6ms is gray-to-gray and the 16ms is black-to-white. The Acer seems like a good choice if you don't need the HDCP or the extra connection options. If you do want those, personally I would get the Samsung (for now). There are input lag issues with it though, so it might not be that great for gaming.

I'm waiting for the BenQ FP241W and the new NEC 24 and 26 inch panels to come out this fall before I buy one this size.
August 23, 2006 12:04:42 PM

Oh others coming out? are there any previews of them ?
a b C Monitor
August 24, 2006 7:43:43 PM

The September issue of Maximum pc has a two page write up on some of these monitors. It wouldn't cost you anything to goto their website and read the reviews. The Dell 2407wfp had the better rating. Good luck.
August 25, 2006 10:04:18 PM

I would go for the ACER. From the 20 reviews on newegg and the reviews on hard forum it seems everyone is happy with it. I do wish there were some professional reviews for it though. I have been looking into LCDs lately and am leaning towards the ACER over DELL and the Samsung 24" models.
August 28, 2006 2:00:40 PM

the only thing that scared me away from the acer were all the rumors that it had no digital interface. That and it's features are nil, as well as not being HDCP compliant, no component hookup, etc...

The picture itself is supposedly breathtaking though, so if you don't care about any of that stuff, I'm sure it'd be an awesome monitor.
August 28, 2006 4:27:26 PM

Quote:
The September issue of Maximum pc has a two page write up on some of these monitors. It wouldn't cost you anything to goto their website and read the reviews. The Dell 2407wfp had the better rating. Good luck.

NEC will be releasing the LCD2490 and LCD2690 in the october timeframe.

They will both be using S-IPS panels and run 1920x1200. they will contain all of the features of the other NEC 90 series product like the 12 bit look up table and Spectraview Option for firmware calibration.

The 26 inch will cover 92% of the Adobe Gamut vs a normal LCD's 72%.
August 29, 2006 6:04:15 PM

I just bought the Acer 2423W from Newegg, after extensivley researching the Dell 2407 and other 24" monitors (My order has not been shipped yet, though).

Note that I did EXTENSIVE research on these, and here's what I reccomend:

-Don't get the Dell 2407 24" LCD... many confirmed repots if it having horrible color banding, and that Dell is still shipping the old Firmware versions which leaves the problem un-resolved.
-Also, having Component on the Dell isn't useful unless your watching HD in the 720p format (If it tries to display full HD 1080i resolution, it will change it to 540 pixels making it look like standard definition.
-Some people (Just search the Dell.com forums if you want to confirm this) recieve their Dell 2407 with a backlight that is NOT uniform, and is brighter in some places. Also known as "backlight bleed".
-Many poeple have thier monitor alighned crooked and landscape mode, becuase the stand is not very sturdy.

-Get the Acer AL2423W because:
-It has 50 higher cdm/2 brightness
-All 20 revies on Newegg rate it 4 EGGS! Not ONE bad review! (on CNET.com, one in every five reviews was bad for the Dell 2407).
-It has no reports of colour banding, and is an S-MVA panel, thus it has a full 8-bit colour gamut; where the Dell is 6-bit.
-It has an "Input Lag" of 20ms, lower than most 24" monitors. Input Lag is the time before you move your mouse (or type) and it shows up on screen -- this is not listed on the product's page; you must search on the web to find this fact out most of the time.
-The Dell's input lag is rated between about 35-45MS, which would of course be slightly more noticable.
-The Acer comes with speakers 8)
-It's on sale for $699 with FREE 3-day shipping.

I truly reccomend you do not get the Syncmaster 44t, because i've heard many say that the input lag is so bad, they have a hard time moving their mouse in Windows, much less playing games.

-Search around the [H]ard forums for info on all of these things. I will try and give specific links later, but the Acer 2423W is you best bet.
August 29, 2006 6:28:35 PM

Just for the record both the 2407 and 2423 use the same S-PVA panel made by Samsung - LTM240M2.

I am not aware of any panel manufcaturer making a TN 24 inch panel at the moment.
August 29, 2006 10:34:18 PM

I could swear it is an P-MVA panel. Now, throughout my research I learned that most of the problems are caused not by what panel the monitor uses, but how the company applies (uses) it.

For example, in order to get a faster response time on the Dell 2407, they used Firmware that caused color banding in many gray / dark areas... very annoying for a game like Doom 3 for example, or movies with dark scenes.

P.S. I just did a search, and on the Widescreengamingforum.com it has a Wiki listing details about the AL2423W, and it is a S-MVA panel. Here's the link: Acer AL2423W

Here is the definition of what an MVA / Premium-MVA panel is, quoted from hardforum.com:

Quote:

MVA (Multidomain Vertical Alignment)
- compromise between TN and IPS technologies
- superior color reproduction over TN but not as good as IPS
- very good viewing angles but less than IPS
- higher contrast than TN or S-IPS means very good blacks
- dead pixels are black
- slower pixel response than TN or IPS
- details can be lost when directly viewing dark areas

Premium-MVA (P-MVA)
- same as MVA except ...
- "overdrive" technology increases pixel response but still slower than TN
- may have slightly degraded color reproduction due to "overdrive" process

Now on the same [H]ard forum, Wiki, it describes the 2407 as S-PVA here:
Dell 2407WFP which is supposedly better than the S-MVA that the Acer uses:

Quote:

PVA (Patterned VA)
- same as MVA except ...
- larger viewing angles
- higher contrast levels means darkest blacks

Super-PVA (S-PVA)
- same as PVA except ...
- “Magic Speed” (the Samsung equivalent to Overdrive) improves pixel response
- slightly improved color reproduction
- slightly improved viewing angles

The Dell does NOT have a better viewing angle than the S-MVA panel that is in the Acer AL2423W, even though it should... but it is much less. The input lag is alot more noticable on the Dell, and the Dell has bad color banding which is normally on the LOWEST-END LCD's that are TN panel types.

But please, no matter whether you decide on the Dell or the Acer, don't get the Syncmaster, as I said earlier, it has a very high level of input lag, or time it takes for anything you do to show up on the screen. This will result in severe 'mouse lag'!
August 29, 2006 11:59:44 PM

So how is your acer performing ?
August 30, 2006 11:28:48 PM

Quote:
So how is your acer performing ?

I will tell you when I get it, hopefully sometime on Friday (9/1/06) and I will give you all the details :)  It really does seem to perform better than any other 24" inch I can find, and NO bad reviews about it. I think I probably gave you enough detauls above :wink:

It's not a very well-known monitor yet, so I like to call it the "un-known hero" :D 
August 30, 2006 11:37:50 PM

hope so =) I have Acer AL1721, and it seems fine, but it shipped to me with 1 faulty pixel. ..
August 31, 2006 3:50:52 AM

Yeah, my current 19" right now has 1 dead pixel, which isn't a very big deal because it's re-furbished. I've heard of some people getting a 24" LCD with 5 dead pixels 8O . Newegg.com's return policy is 8 which is rediculous. I'd make up an excuse saying the monitor is all white when I turn it on or something just to get one without dead pixels... above 2 in my opinion is unnacceptable. I've never recieved a new LCD with any dead pixels before. Hopefully it's the same when I get the Acer.

Like I said, I will tell you hopefully on Friday how the 2423 is. As far as reaserch goes, it should have far less problems over the Dell 2407 which I was going to get...

-Cheers!
September 1, 2006 5:36:50 PM

I personally would get the SAMSUNG 244t-SV. That is if you can afford close to $900.

LCD prices are dropping dramatically and you might want to consider waiting a little bit until prices drop again before investing $$$ for a 24inch.

I bought a 26inch LCD TV a year ago for $2000 now the same model is worth $1000.
September 1, 2006 5:48:23 PM

Quote:
I personally would get the SAMSUNG 244t-SV. That is if you can afford close to $900.

LCD prices are dropping dramatically and you might want to consider waiting a little bit until prices drop again before investing $$$ for a 24inch.

I bought a 26inch LCD TV a year ago for $2000 now the same model is worth $1000.

Acutally the larger TV panels are slated to continually decrease but right now most desktop panels are actually going up. I know sasmung just announced their 17 inch panels would be going up abour $15-$20 in september. I will post other numbers if i see htem.
September 1, 2006 8:11:16 PM

Choosing a 24" monitor seems like it is all but a crap shoot. There is conflicting information for virtually every option.

A couple people have mentioned the Acer, however historically their other monitors have not faired very well in comparison tests. E.G. the "F20" sucked wind in this recent test:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/27/xxl_displays/pag... .

Based on that I am a bit gun shy of their stuff. Until I saw this thread I thought the Samsung 244t-SV was relatively flawless except for the price, but the statements about input lag concern me. The 23" Sony faired very well in the last TH comparison test, but it's getting pretty old. It's hard to believe nobody has come up with something comparable by now and I hate to give up an inch of display space over the 24" options.

Choices choices choices and none of them good :roll:
September 4, 2006 6:56:28 PM

Quote:

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT get the 244t. It has a rated input lag measure of ~45-60 ms which is VERY noticable. Some say it is, some say it isn't. But, it's certainly NOT worth buying such an expensive monitor just to see if the mouse / input lag issue is true, when i'm pretty sure it is.

Yeah, i'm also aware that previous Acer's have not gotten the best reviews, but the 2423 is different. I cannot find one bad statement about it, and the fact that it is reported to have the lowest input lag timing, excellent bright colours, 6-ms responese time (and P-MVA so full 24-bit colors with no banding) makes it a winner in my eyes.

Dang UPS didn't get it to me on friday, so I will have to wait 'till tomorrow (tuesday) before I can get it and actually test it out.

Quote:
Choosing a 24" monitor seems like it is all but a crap shoot.

Yeah, tell me about it :(  . I created a thread over at hardforum.com called 24" LCD's: "Pandora's Box" descibing my frustrations there, but those people there don't seem to be the most talkative about it. (My name in that thread is Cornflake if you want to check it out).
!