How to tell single from double sided

Most new socket 754 mobos have very specific combinations of single and double-sided ram that they will accept. Now, I'm having trouble determining what ram may or may not be double-sided. Case in point: the MSI K8N Neo supports up to 2GB of memory at 400 FSB. But, in the testing report, it explicitly says that if 3 double sided modules are installed, the board will only run at 333 FSB. I plan to install 512MB Muskin X 3 into the board, and have no way of telling if the RAM is Single or double banked.
7 answers Last reply
More about single double sided
  1. I browsed Mushkin's site and I remember reading that they noted about each RAM module there if it is single-bank or double-bank, which translates to single-sided or double-sided.

Abit IS7 @ 275 FSB, OCZ PC4200 RAM @ 550Mhz, P4 2.4 @ 3.3Ghz Vcore @ 1.625, Sapphire Radeon 9800P @ 410/780.
    Thermalright SLK-947U, P3 HS @ NB.
  2. the ram you have in mind, most likely is double sided. most high density sticks ARE double sided these days. its always a good idea to get double sided ram if able. each slot on that mobo has two bank. if you stick in a single sided ram stick, you will only use one bank, but if you use double sided ram, you will use both banks so its faster.

as far as being able to tell if its single or double sided... just look at the ram. do you see chips on both sides or just one side of the stick? if you see chips on both sides, you've got double sided ram. again, i'm pretty sure high quality ram such as mushkin with than kind of density is double sided. almost 100 percent sure.

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>my sys:
    mobo: Abit AN7 @ 442 FSB
    CPU: AXPm 2600+ @ 4100+
    ram: corsair xms @ 1:1 running 2.5-3-3-6
    HDD: two raptors on raid 0
    vid: 9800pro @ 467mhz GPU and 417mhz ram
  3. Mushkin does post if it is single or double banked. Corsair, however does not. My assumption is that any 512 module will prob be double-banked. My only prob is that according to the guide for the K8N Neo, if you run 3 double banked modules, you can only run the FSB at 333 MHZ (as opposed to being able to run it at 400 if only 2 DIMMs are filled). Strangely enough, the Anandtech.com review of this mobo filled all 3 slots with 512 modules and were able to run it stable, although they had to go in and manually adjust the FSB up to 400 from 333. This leads me to believe that the requirement is really just because some RAM modules might not play nice with the memory controller if all 3 are filled and the FSB is running at 400.
  4. i know that even the 256MB corsair xms ram is double sided. the 512, of course!

yeah, with all three slots filled, the mobo will default to 333, but that doesn't mean it won't be able to run 400. you're pretty much on the right track.

</font color=red><b><font color=orange>my sys:
    mobo: Abit AN7 @ 442 FSB
    CPU: AXPm 2600+ @ 4100+
    ram: corsair xms @ 1:1 running 2.5-3-3-6
    HDD: two raptors on raid 0
    vid: 9800pro @ 467mhz GPU and 417mhz ram<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scamtron on 05/16/04 08:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  5. I'm fairly certain all 1GB DIMM's are double sided, just get 2 of those and you won't need to worry about the third module :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  6. Most 512MB modules are double sided and all 1gig modules are. We do have a lot of 512MB single sided module but to get these people have to call in and request them. Chips on one side equals single sided, chips on both sides equals double sided.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
    The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
    cpl@micron.com
  7. Whoa, we should clarify technology here. I think we're all talking about single vs double banked. From what I understand, it is possible to have chips on both sides for single-banked RAM, and chips on one side for double-banked. I also asked MSI tech support about this, they replied that they have successfully used 3 double-banked modules at 400 FSB, there is actually a testing guide on the site. Also, props to crucial for making good RAM and (apparently) having a rep actually read the boards.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM