Problems with emp_client ... and other questions

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Hey...

I've been fiddling around with this empire thing for a long time now.
I managed to set up a running debian system (well, learned how easy
DHCP can be... =) ) and successfully compiled the newest server
(Thanks, Ron...).

BUT when I try to log in with the built-in emp_client it just says
"connect: Connection refused". I actually can login with winACE from
my Windows-machine. But what's wrong with the client? And I can't exec
the newcap script from my WinACE login. Hm.

I also had to make some directories during the compiling process by
hand - is this correct? And I can't remember to execute doconfig
manually when I tried this whole thing some months ago. But today I
had no auth file before executing doconfig. Weird?

Maybe I did something wrong while compiling?

Any comment is appreciated... =)

Bye,

Fabian

Fabian Geis <core@mindless.com> writes:

> Hey...
>
> I've been fiddling around with this empire thing for a long time now.
> I managed to set up a running debian system (well, learned how easy
> DHCP can be... =) ) and successfully compiled the newest server
> (Thanks, Ron...).
>
> BUT when I try to log in with the built-in emp_client it just says
> "connect: Connection refused". I actually can login with winACE from
> my Windows-machine. But what's wrong with the client? And I can't exec
> the newcap script from my WinACE login. Hm.

How exactly did you start emp_client? Did you try

$ EMPIREHOST=localhost EMPIREPORT=6665 emp_client POGO peter

?

> I also had to make some directories during the compiling process by
> hand - is this correct? And I can't remember to execute doconfig
> manually when I tried this whole thing some months ago. But today I
> had no auth file before executing doconfig. Weird?

The build process is a shambles... sorry for that.

> Maybe I did something wrong while compiling?
>
> Any comment is appreciated... =)
>
> Bye,
>
> Fabian

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:48:06 +0200, Markus Armbruster
<armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:

>> BUT when I try to log in with the built-in emp_client it just says
>> "connect: Connection refused". I actually can login with winACE from
>> my Windows-machine. But what's wrong with the client? And I can't exec
>> the newcap script from my WinACE login. Hm.
>
>How exactly did you start emp_client? Did you try
>
> $ EMPIREHOST=localhost EMPIREPORT=6665 emp_client POGO peter
>
>?

Uh, I connect via PuTTY to my linux machine. That means, the
emp_client runs on the server machine. The WinACE machine can connect
- but somehow the newcap-script does not work.
Where do I have to enter the commands you mentioned? Sounds more like
"Win" to me...but I'm really no Linux Guru, so I'm not sure.

It just went fairly normal, after creating the dirs manually the build
worked fine. After that I executed files and fairland 10 30 and
started the server. Just the client seems not to work, but I am not
sure, if it did not build correctly or there is some other fault. At
least theres no error in the server.log.
I did just a "./emp_client" - and then there was the "connection
refused"-message.
Although I had problems connecting from my Windows machine - and I had
no auth file where to put my IP and name. Only after manually
executing the doconfig there was an auth file - after I added my
Windows IP and name I could at least connect with WinACE.

I've never worked with the basic emp_client under Windows. Tried it a
few minutes ago and it just wanted to connect to 216.162.200.183 - and
can't change that. Maybe thats the place where to enter your commands?
But how?

>> I also had to make some directories during the compiling process by
>> hand - is this correct? And I can't remember to execute doconfig
>> manually when I tried this whole thing some months ago. But today I
>> had no auth file before executing doconfig. Weird?
>
>The build process is a shambles... sorry for that.

Aye...

>> Maybe I did something wrong while compiling?
>>
>> Any comment is appreciated... =)
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Fabian

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Hi Fabian

I am not sure I understand. Just to confirm.

The empire server is compiled and running on a linux machine.

You have done the basic setup (files, fairland).

Based on these assumptions, do the following.

1) Ensure the emp_server is running on the linux machine.

2) Start the emp_client on the Linux machine (same directory as
emp_server).
2a) Country name is POGO
2b) Password is peter

3) submit 'exec newcap_script' as a command.

4) submit 'bye'

For connecting from the Windows machine.

1) WinACE
1a) Regular User, connect with deity setting turned off
1b) Deity, connect with deity setting turned on
- if you get the initial connection but it does not download the
database then you were probably denied access.
- check the server log file, and add the localhost/user name to the
auth file.
2) emp_client
- set EMPIREHOST=IPaddress
- set EMPIREPORT=PortNumber
- emp_client
2a) Regular User, enter country name and password
2b) Deity, if you get connected and then dropped, do the same as for
WinACE, check the server log.
- the user name will be 'nobody' for emp_client.

Notes:
If you compiled the server, you should get emp_client as well in the
same directory. The default options for this emp_client should
directly match the configuration of the server.

If you do not have auth, after the compile, you have a problem. Do a
make clean or make realclean and recompile. Hopefully this should fix
the problem.
- You may not have had a directory created the first time you
compiled, and doconfig runs only once unless you change the build.conf
file.

WinACE internalizes the exec command. It executes commands within
WinACE and is not submitted to the server. The file must be local to
the WinACE machine.

emp_client does submit the command to the server, but the server
instructs emp_client to open the file and submit its contents to the
server, so again the file must be local to machine/directory for
emp_client. This applies whether you use emp_client on a Linux
machine or Windows machine.

I believe the problem you are having with emp_client is two-fold.
- the file you want to exec is on the Linux machine in the game/bin
directory but you are trying to exec on a Windows machine.
- the syntax for emp_client is slightly different for Windows,
particularly for accessing the shell environment variables.

Hopefully this helps.

Ron K.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Fabian Geis <core@mindless.com> writes:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:48:06 +0200, Markus Armbruster
> <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:
>
>>> BUT when I try to log in with the built-in emp_client it just says
>>> "connect: Connection refused". I actually can login with winACE from
>>> my Windows-machine. But what's wrong with the client? And I can't exec
>>> the newcap script from my WinACE login. Hm.
>>
>>How exactly did you start emp_client? Did you try
>>
>> $ EMPIREHOST=localhost EMPIREPORT=6665 emp_client POGO peter
>>
>>?
>
> Uh, I connect via PuTTY to my linux machine. That means, the
> emp_client runs on the server machine. The WinACE machine can connect
> - but somehow the newcap-script does not work.
> Where do I have to enter the commands you mentioned? Sounds more like
> "Win" to me...but I'm really no Linux Guru, so I'm not sure.

PuTTY to your Linux box. You should get a shell prompt. At that
prompt, try the command I gave above, without the `$' (which is the
traditional default shell prompt; your prompt is likely longer). What
happens?

> It just went fairly normal, after creating the dirs manually the build
> worked fine. After that I executed files and fairland 10 30 and
> started the server. Just the client seems not to work, but I am not
> sure, if it did not build correctly or there is some other fault. At
> least theres no error in the server.log.
> I did just a "./emp_client" - and then there was the "connection
> refused"-message.
> Although I had problems connecting from my Windows machine - and I had
> no auth file where to put my IP and name. Only after manually
> executing the doconfig there was an auth file - after I added my
> Windows IP and name I could at least connect with WinACE.
>
> I've never worked with the basic emp_client under Windows. Tried it a
> few minutes ago and it just wanted to connect to 216.162.200.183 - and
> can't change that. Maybe thats the place where to enter your commands?
> But how?

The default host and IP are compiled into the binary, using settings
from build.conf. They are rarely what you want, and then you have to
supply the ones you want.

On 2004-08-27, Fabian Geis <core@mindless.com> wrote:
> Hey...
>
> I've been fiddling around with this empire thing for a long time now.
> I managed to set up a running debian system (well, learned how easy

Since it's Debian, you can use the pre-compiled clients.

apt-get install empire-lafe empire-hub ptkei

man lafe
lafe(6) lafe(6)

NAME
lafe - Latency Free Empire client

SYNOPSIS
lafe country [password [host [port]]]

-harmless (who needs to upload a new package RFSN
with correct addresses in it..)

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

On 27 Aug 2004 16:57:52 -0700, rkoenderink@yahoo.ca (Ron Koenderink)
wrote:

>Hi Fabian
>
>I am not sure I understand. Just to confirm.
>
>The empire server is compiled and running on a linux machine.
>
>You have done the basic setup (files, fairland).

That's correct. =)

>Based on these assumptions, do the following.
>
>1) Ensure the emp_server is running on the linux machine.
>
>2) Start the emp_client on the Linux machine (same directory as
>emp_server).
>2a) Country name is POGO
>2b) Password is peter
>
>3) submit 'exec newcap_script' as a command.
>
>4) submit 'bye'

Okay, for some reason it worked now. The emp_client on the linux
machine started to do what I wanted after giving the right EMPIREPORT
and EMPIREHOST values. Though I remember that was not necessary the
last time I did it? Anyway, I can connect and then I am able to exec
the script - that worked, too.

>For connecting from the Windows machine.
>
>1) WinACE
>1a) Regular User, connect with deity setting turned off
>1b) Deity, connect with deity setting turned on
>- if you get the initial connection but it does not download the
>database then you were probably denied access.
>- check the server log file, and add the localhost/user name to the
>auth file.
>2) emp_client
>- set EMPIREHOST=IPaddress
>- set EMPIREPORT=PortNumber
>- emp_client
>2a) Regular User, enter country name and password
>2b) Deity, if you get connected and then dropped, do the same as for
>WinACE, check the server log.
>- the user name will be 'nobody' for emp_client.

Worked with both WinACE and emp_client now. Thanks.

>Notes:
>If you compiled the server, you should get emp_client as well in the
>same directory. The default options for this emp_client should
>directly match the configuration of the server.
>
>If you do not have auth, after the compile, you have a problem. Do a
>make clean or make realclean and recompile. Hopefully this should fix
>the problem.

I'll try that. Btw, what does "clean" or "realclean" mean? It deletes
all files and starts from scratch?

I had this problem with the missing directories. During the compiling
process the program was not able to mkdir the correct dirs. I added
them manually - maybe I forgot something so doconfig does not create
an auth file? Do you know which dirs I have to create exactly?

>- You may not have had a directory created the first time you
>compiled, and doconfig runs only once unless you change the build.conf
>file.
>

>WinACE internalizes the exec command. It executes commands within
>WinACE and is not submitted to the server. The file must be local to
>the WinACE machine.
>
>emp_client does submit the command to the server, but the server
>instructs emp_client to open the file and submit its contents to the
>server, so again the file must be local to machine/directory for
>emp_client. This applies whether you use emp_client on a Linux
>machine or Windows machine.
>
>I believe the problem you are having with emp_client is two-fold.
>- the file you want to exec is on the Linux machine in the game/bin
>directory but you are trying to exec on a Windows machine.
>- the syntax for emp_client is slightly different for Windows,
>particularly for accessing the shell environment variables.

So was my idea and it seems to be the case. Thanks.

>Hopefully this helps.

It did! =)

>Ron K.

Bye,

Fabian

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

> I'll try that. Btw, what does "clean" or "realclean" mean? It deletes
> all files and starts from scratch?

Yes.
The realclean removes some additional files.

> I had this problem with the missing directories. During the compiling
> process the program was not able to mkdir the correct dirs. I added
> them manually - maybe I forgot something so doconfig does not create
> an auth file? Do you know which dirs I have to create exactly?

I think it may be the data directory but I do not recall. It is
needed very early in the sequence as auth file is created by doconfig.

It does not hurt to create bin and data directories before you start.

> >Hopefully this helps.
>
> It did! =)

You welcome.

Ron K.