paint

I defrag'd my hdd last night, now I've noticed this morning that the "paint"
accessory has disappeared. Any suggestions on how I can get it back? I use
it almost daily.
--
duffer jim
9 answers Last reply

    Hi

    Try typing the following into Start>Run to make sure that the Paint program
    hasn't been deleted from your system:

    mspaint

    If Paint runs, you can make a Desktop shortcut for it with the following
    command:

    %systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "duffer.jim" <jshannon@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    >I defrag'd my hdd last night, now I've noticed this morning that the
    >"paint"
    > accessory has disappeared. Any suggestions on how I can get it back? I
    > use
    > it almost daily.
    > --
    > duffer jim

    Running %systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe does not make a short cut nor does
    it put MSpaint on the desktop. That command merely opens the program.
    Click on start, search, find MSpaint and right click on it and select
    create shortcut. move the shortcut to the desktop.

    run>mspaint didn't work - couldn't find file - I guess it's gone. I've
    downloaded paint.net as an alternative and will check with my IT guy tomorrow
    to have XP Pro reloaded. Thanks.
    --
    duffer jim

    duffer.jim wrote:

    > run>mspaint didn't work - couldn't find file - I guess it's gone. I've
    > downloaded paint.net as an alternative and will check with my IT guy tomorrow
    > to have XP Pro reloaded. Thanks.

    Reinstall it from Control Panle | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove
    Windows Components | Accessories and Utilities | Details | Accessories |
    Details | Paint.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi

    I should have expanded my last posting a bit. Right click the Desktop and
    select New>Shortcut. That command is then entered in a new shortcut in the
    'Type the location of the item:' box. Then follow the onscreen instructions
    and a Desktop shortcut for MS Paint is created.

    --

    "Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > Running %systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe does not make a short cut nor
    > does it put MSpaint on the desktop. That command merely opens the program.
    > Click on start, search, find MSpaint and right click on it and select
    > create shortcut. move the shortcut to the desktop.

    Hello;
    Sorry for the mixup.
    Mspaint.exe is in windows\system32 folder
    If your Windows are installed on c:\Windows
    then the path would be:
    c:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe

    open Windows Explorer, go to My Computer> c:\ > Windows > system32 right
    click on the file Mspaint.exe and click on make shortcut, copy the shortcut
    to the desktop.

    Hi

    If just MS Paint is missing, you won't have to reinstall XP.

    --

    > run>mspaint didn't work - couldn't find file - I guess it's gone. I've
    > downloaded paint.net as an alternative and will check with my IT guy
    > tomorrow
    > to have XP Pro reloaded. Thanks.
    > --
    > duffer jim
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try typing the following into Start>Run to make sure that the Paint
    >> program
    >> hasn't been deleted from your system:
    >>
    >> mspaint
    >>
    >> If Paint runs, you can make a Desktop shortcut for it with the following
    >> command:
    >>
    >> %systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "duffer.jim" <jshannon@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    >> >I defrag'd my hdd last night, now I've noticed this morning that the
    >> >"paint"
    >> > accessory has disappeared. Any suggestions on how I can get it back?
    >> > use
    >> > it almost daily.
    >> > --
    >> > duffer jim

    Firstly Check it here:-C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.ex­e
    you can easily create a shortcut by right clicking on it..

    If it's missing then Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs >
    Add/Remove Windows Components >Accessories and Utilities to reinstall
    Paint [you'll need a XP CD).

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    duffer.jim wrote:
    > I defrag'd my hdd last night, now I've noticed this morning that the "paint"
    > accessory has disappeared. Any suggestions on how I can get it back? I use
    > it almost daily.
  9. Quote:

    Firstly Check it here:-C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.ex­e
    you can easily create a shortcut by right clicking on it..

    If it's missing then Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs >
    Add/Remove Windows Components >Accessories and Utilities to reinstall
    Paint [you'll need a XP CD).

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    March 2011 "Wow and thanks!" THIS was the solution! ADD/REMOVE and then over at the left is "Windows Components," didn't even need my disk, it was simply unchecked for some reason (perhaps an MS update? or my refusal to accept some toolbar? or during a defrag? don't know how or when it got unchecked) THANKS!

    duffer.jim wrote:
    > I defrag'd my hdd last night, now I've noticed this morning that the "paint"
    > accessory has disappeared. Any suggestions on how I can get it back? I use
    > it almost daily.

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP