Toshiba X200 GPU fan problem

hello everyone!!!

I have a strange problem, i didnt even know that it can be a problem :)

Ok, i have a Toshiba X200 with 8600M GT in SLI mode. This laptop got 2 fans, one for CPU and another one for GPUs. CPU fan - perfect, GPU fan - not so good. Both fans are always on (its normal), but when CPU and/or GPU is under load (temp incress) fans supose to spin faster. I reaserched it - and yeah, they CAN spin faster when they reach high temps. But, my GPU fan never changes its speed. Its always in the "slow" mode. Result - idle @ 67C, and under load (gaming) 98C (!!!). And one time i saw 99C and even at that temp fan didnt change its speed. The air was so hot, that i could not hold my hand!!!!! Everyone else who has the same laptop says- idle@38C-40C, load@MAX 80C. And when it goes beyond 70-75 degrees fan starts to spin MUCH faster and you can hear noticeable noise. Mine is almost noiseless..... im really lost in this situation......another weird thing is - when it goes beyond 95C - game slows down a bit (like 10-12FPS).... i never ever oveclocked my GPUs..... also, it had a pre-installed Vista Ultimate 32bit, but i installed a XP Pro SP3 32bit. Can that be a problem? I though this problem somehow connected to BIOS, so i decided to update my BIOS from version 2.3 to 2.5. Strange thing is - during the update proccess BOTH fans were spinning MUCH faster!!! And thats what it supose to do when the temp is too high, but it doesnt...... :( :( :( ..... i dont know what to do.... i tryed like 20 different drivers, tryed nTune, SpeedFan, RivaTuner, ATItools e.t.c - nothing helped......

So, my question is - is there a way to change the fan speed manually somehow? Or is there a way to tell my laptop to spin it faster when the GPU is TOO hot?

Please, people, help me......i dont want it to cook itself.... :( :( :( :( :( :(
5 answers Last reply
More about toshiba x200 problem
  1. Have you tried BIOS updates? You may be able to use Rivatuner or something of the sort to mod the fan speed.
  2. yeah, i did try to update the bios - it didnt help.... about the rivatuner - what do you mean "mod the fan speed"? How do u do it?

Thanks
  3. i mean i do have rivatuner, and i know how to use it. But to mod/change the fan speed - hmmm, never heard that rivatuner can do that. Can tell me in which menu it is located?

Thanks in advance
  4. Maybe there's something wrong with the fan
Ask a new question

Read More

GPU Fan Toshiba Laptops