Is it possible?

More about : laptop 100

November 19, 2008 2:33:55 AM

1_What is your budget? $100

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Any

3_What screen resolution do you want? Any

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5_How much battery life do you need? Any, can plug-in on campus etc

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Not really, WoW maybe

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) Surfing the web / word processing

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 10 gigs

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? A few years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them: WIFI preferred (I can buy a USB dongle, but that's more money)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in? USA, California
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2008 3:16:00 AM

Ebay, get what you can find.
Related resources
November 19, 2008 12:03:55 PM

I've never paid more than $100 (ok, well, after the screen, my 110L will have cost about $120) for any of my notebooks (mostly of the PIII vein), but I'm quite handy so, fixing them up is no big challenge.

Yes. You can get a T22 for about that much off the Ebay.

In fact, muhahaha, I have one I'm trying to sell, but never got around to listing it, because I need to replace the hard drive first.-- but then there's also my unhealthy emotional attachement to ThinkPads. . . .

Anyway, I've seen good working ones (T22's) go on the Ebay for about $100. And, that is about the only thing I'd recommend in that price range.
November 19, 2008 2:51:29 PM

dwellman said:
I've never paid more than $100 (ok, well, after the screen, my 110L will have cost about $120) for any of my notebooks (mostly of the PIII vein), but I'm quite handy so, fixing them up is no big challenge.

Yes. You can get a T22 for about that much off the Ebay.

In fact, muhahaha, I have one I'm trying to sell, but never got around to listing it, because I need to replace the hard drive first.-- but then there's also my unhealthy emotional attachement to ThinkPads. . . .

Anyway, I've seen good working ones (T22's) go on the Ebay for about $100. And, that is about the only thing I'd recommend in that price range.

I'm not familiar with T22s. Any reason you mention that one specifically? Is that laptop specifically designed to be inexpensive (but good)?
a b D Laptop
November 19, 2008 3:41:28 PM

Inexpensive? No, in it's day it was a wonderful machine - and for your purposes, it still is. He's got one, though (though it needs some parts). But, if you're to buy a $100 machine, an IBM will probably get you something reliable...quite honestly, the older IBM thinkpads were built like tanks, and I would have faith that a used one is still in good condition. They're strong machines and most of the time, they do more than they're asked to do - which is the case for my older Thinkpad A1. I wish I could still use it, but I don't want to put the money into fixing it.
November 19, 2008 3:42:26 PM

frozenlead said:
Inexpensive? No, in it's day it was a wonderful machine - and for your purposes, it still is. He's got one, though (though it needs some parts). But, if you're to buy a $100 machine, an IBM will probably get you something reliable...quite honestly, the older IBM thinkpads were built like tanks, and I would have faith that a used one is still in good condition. They're strong machines and most of the time, they do more than they're asked to do - which is the case for my older Thinkpad A1. I wish I could still use it, but I don't want to put the money into fixing it.

Good to know.

Is it any IBM, or just T22's and A1's?
November 19, 2008 3:56:49 PM

Any Thinkpad T series.
!