Unable to share printers on home network

I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for years--but we've
NEVER been able to access each other's printers. We've tried many different
configurations but nothing seems to work.

Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would be
gratefully appreciative.

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about unable share printers home network

    In news:OqWdnWq0iOd2XCPfRVn-uA@comcast.com,
    Paul <kozure.okami@comcast.net> typed:
    > I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for
    > years--but we've NEVER been able to access each other's printers.
    > We've tried many different configurations but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would
    > be gratefully appreciative.
    >
    > Paul

    More info would help. XP Home, or XP Pro? Are you able to share files? What
    have you done/tried already?

    Both PC's should be a member of the same Workgroup (MSHome).
    Both computer's NIC/LAC should have File and Printer Sharing
    service bound to it. Depending on Firewall in use, the LAN range
    should be in the Firewall's "Trusted Zone". (192.168.0.1-254).
    Printer itself should shared & drivers available for all Operating
    Systems in use. If both use XP, once a Printer is shared XP will
    automatically search/install network printers. Unless that option is
    disabled in the View (TAB) options of Explorer. If you explore
    the Network Places, does both PCs appear in the appropriate
    Workgroup (Can see each other).

    "Paul" <kozure.okami@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for years--but
    > we've
    > NEVER been able to access each other's printers. We've tried many
    > different
    > configurations but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would be
    > gratefully appreciative.
    >
    > Paul

    Hi Paul,

    Get Started with home networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/default.mspx

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Paul" <kozure.okami@comcast.net> wrote in message news:OqWdnWq0iOd2XCPfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
    > I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for years--but we've
    > NEVER been able to access each other's printers. We've tried many different
    > configurations but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would be
    > gratefully appreciative.
    >
    > Paul

Microsoft Printers Windows XP