Unable to share printers on home network

June 26, 2005 2:55:37 PM

I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for years--but we've
NEVER been able to access each other's printers. We've tried many different
configurations but nothing seems to work.

Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would be
gratefully appreciative.

Paul
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:00:13 PM

In news:o qWdnWq0iOd2XCPfRVn-uA@comcast.com,
Paul <kozure.okami@comcast.net> typed:
> I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for
> years--but we've NEVER been able to access each other's printers.
> We've tried many different configurations but nothing seems to work.
>
> Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would
> be gratefully appreciative.
>
> Paul

More info would help. XP Home, or XP Pro? Are you able to share files? What
have you done/tried already?
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:08:14 PM

Both PC's should be a member of the same Workgroup (MSHome).
Both computer's NIC/LAC should have File and Printer Sharing
service bound to it. Depending on Firewall in use, the LAN range
should be in the Firewall's "Trusted Zone". (192.168.0.1-254).
Printer itself should shared & drivers available for all Operating
Systems in use. If both use XP, once a Printer is shared XP will
automatically search/install network printers. Unless that option is
disabled in the View (TAB) options of Explorer. If you explore
the Network Places, does both PCs appear in the appropriate
Workgroup (Can see each other).

"Paul" <kozure.okami@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o qWdnWq0iOd2XCPfRVn-uA@comcast.com...
> I've been on a home network with my wife using a router for years--but
> we've
> NEVER been able to access each other's printers. We've tried many
> different
> configurations but nothing seems to work.
>
> Is there anyone out there who really knows how to do this? We would be
> gratefully appreciative.
>
> Paul

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 4:04:58 PM