More about hard drive older laptop

    From: "Pompey©" <darynlee@nospamblueyonder.co.uk>

    | Hi
    | Ive just put a new 20gb hard (was 5gb) drive in a HP omnibook XE 2.. trying
    | now to install Xp but cd wont boot and all i get on screen is a prompt...
    | grateful for any help thanks
    |
    | Dar
    |
    | Pentium 3
    | 128mb ram
    | Dar

    You can use the Floppy Disk setup method if you can't get into the BIOS of the notebook and
    have it boot from the CDROM.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Pompey©" <darynlee@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Ive just put a new 20gb hard (was 5gb) drive in a HP omnibook XE 2..
    trying
    > now to install Xp but cd wont boot and all i get on screen is a prompt...
    > grateful for any help thanks
    >
    > Dar
    >
    > Pentium 3
    > 128mb ram
    > Dar

    Is that old enough to have the BIOS limitation of 8 gig or
    something like that on the hard drive ?? There are several
    barriers like that - seems to me 8 gig was one of them.

    mikey

    From: "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net>

    | Is that old enough to have the BIOS limitation of 8 gig or
    | something like that on the hard drive ?? There are several
    | barriers like that - seems to me 8 gig was one of them.
    |
    | mikey

    Update the BIOS. Most BIOS had a 32GB limitation.

    --

    > From: "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net>
    >

    > | Is that old enough to have the BIOS limitation of 8 gig or
    > | something like that on the hard drive ?? There are several
    > | barriers like that - seems to me 8 gig was one of them.
    > |
    > | mikey
    > |

    > Update the BIOS. Most BIOS had a 32GB limitation.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Actually 8.4 was a common limit problem also ..
    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/8p4_barrier.html
    and this one had some interesting comments on the other limits
    that have been around in the past -- I think I hit several of them ...
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Large-Disk-HOWTO-4.html

    Hopefully, as Dave says, you can get an updated bios for your
    system that should work the problem.

    mikey

    Thanks Dave.. will have a go.

    Dar

    > From: "Pompey©" <darynlee@nospamblueyonder.co.uk>
    >
    > | Hi
    > | Ive just put a new 20gb hard (was 5gb) drive in a HP omnibook XE 2..
    > trying
    > | now to install Xp but cd wont boot and all i get on screen is a
    > prompt...
    > | grateful for any help thanks
    > |
    > | Dar
    > |
    > | Pentium 3
    > | 128mb ram
    > | Dar
    > |

    > You can use the Floppy Disk setup method if you can't get into the BIOS of
    > the notebook and
    > have it boot from the CDROM.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Some laptops have a hidden partition on their original hard drive. These
    may contain many things. The synapse touchpad drivers for instance. The
    install files for XP for instance. Part of the bios for instance.

    If your original hard drive has this, it needs to be copied over to the new
    one, the partition has to remain hidden.

    "Pompey©" <darynlee@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Ive just put a new 20gb hard (was 5gb) drive in a HP omnibook XE 2..
    trying
    > now to install Xp but cd wont boot and all i get on screen is a prompt...
    > grateful for any help thanks
    >
    > Dar
    >
    > Pentium 3
    > 128mb ram
    > Dar

    "Pompey©" <darynlee@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi
    >Ive just put a new 20gb hard (was 5gb) drive in a HP omnibook XE 2.. trying
    >now to install Xp but cd wont boot and all i get on screen is a prompt...
    >grateful for any help thanks
    >
    > Dar
    >
    >Pentium 3
    >128mb ram
    >Dar

    Are you sure your model has a Pentium III CPU? The HP Product info
    pages say that the Omnibook XE2 series had either Pentium II or
    Celeron CPUs running at 300 or 333 mhz.

    The product spec pages also indicate that 8.4 gb was the largest size
    hard drive available in this series so you may have a BIOS limitation
    problem with the larger drive. Try booting your computer with a
    Windows 98 Startup Disk (get one from www.bootdisk.com if you don't
    have one available) and use it to boot the computer.

    When it stops at the A:\> prompt enter the following command:

    FDISK /STATUS

    Post the results back here. That will show us if the computer is in
    fact recognizing the new hard drive properly, only recognizing part of
    the capacity, or cannot use it at all.

    Once we get the hard drive working then the next step is to get
    Windows XP installed properly. That may or may not be possible, as
    laptops typically contain proprietary components that require special
    drivers from the manufacturer. A quick glance at the HP website shows
    that there are Windows 2000 drivers for the Omnibook SE but not ones
    for Windows XP.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --