Sign in with
Your question

Controls on Apple cinema 30 display dont work.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 25, 2006 3:16:31 AM

I just got a 30 inch apple cinema HD display. It is conected to a PNY Quadro FX 560 card. The controls on the side of the monitor for brightness and power operated the first time i tried them but now they do not. According to the monitor manual it is supposed to detect input from the computer and turn itself on (which it does) and turn itself off when computer goes off. But it stays on after the computer goes off. And the brigtness buttons dont work. The little power led on the monitor dost light up. Otherwise the display works fine. Its just stuck on super bright mode. Any clues?
September 10, 2006 8:01:46 PM

I have a similar setup with the same problem: an Apple 30" Cinema Display, bought in mid-August 2006, connected to a XFX GeForce 7900 GT in a PC. About 50% of the time the monitor will stay on (i.e., the backlight will remain on and the little LED power light will remain off) when the computer is turned off or put into standby or hibernate mode.

As I said, it only happens about half the time, and I haven't figured out why.

Let me know if you discover anything. As a short-term solution when this happens, I unplug the power cord from the power supply for the monitor for a few seconds, and then plug it back in; when I do this, the monitor remains off until I start the computer back up again.
September 10, 2006 8:27:56 PM

SOLUTION: I did some browsing and found a solution.

An independent developer on SourceForge has released some Windows drivers for Apple Cinema Displays. I went ahead and downloaded WinACD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/winacd/) and the problems with the monitor not turning off were fixed.

After you install, check the Display control panel, Settings tab, Advanced button, Controls tab for extras, including the nice translucent brightness control via keyboard shortcuts.
September 11, 2006 4:13:17 AM

thanks. got it. works great. soultion found.
!