Windows XP Automatic Update Error Message

My Problem Outline:

When trying to run, or enable, "Windows Automatic Updates" (Windows XP Home
Edition, SP 01), I get the following message:

"An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaucpl.cpl",Automatic Updates"

How can I solve this problem?

I do not have a Win XP Installation CD, as it came pre-installed. I have
verified it as an authentic installation through Microsoft. It was suggested
that installing "Windows XP SP 02" would solve this problem, but it crashed
my computer, and I had to uninstall "SP 02" in "Safe Mode".

I would appreciate any assistance with this problem

As we are well aware, updating Windows Security issues is vitally important.

betsdv@telkomsa.net
1 answer Last reply
More about windows automatic update error message

    Michael Gray wrote:

    > My Problem Outline:
    >
    > When trying to run, or enable, "Windows Automatic Updates" (Windows XP Home
    > Edition, SP 01), I get the following message:
    >
    > "An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    > "C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaucpl.cpl",Automatic Updates"
    >
    > How can I solve this problem?
    >
    > I do not have a Win XP Installation CD, as it came pre-installed. I have
    > verified it as an authentic installation through Microsoft. It was suggested
    > that installing "Windows XP SP 02" would solve this problem, but it crashed
    > my computer, and I had to uninstall "SP 02" in "Safe Mode".
    >
    > I would appreciate any assistance with this problem
    >
    > As we are well aware, updating Windows Security issues is vitally important.
    >
    > betsdv@telkomsa.net

    It would be best to post your question to the experts in the Windows
    Update Newsgroup:

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User