Windows XP Automatic Update Error Message

My Problem Outline:

When trying to run, or enable, "Windows Automatic Updates" (Windows XP Home
Edition, SP 01), I get the following message:

"An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaucpl.cpl",Automatic Updates"

How can I solve this problem?

I do not have a Win XP Installation CD, as it came pre-installed. I have
verified it as an authentic installation through Microsoft. It was suggested
that installing "Windows XP SP 02" would solve this problem, but it crashed
my computer, and I had to uninstall "SP 02" in "Safe Mode".

I would appreciate any assistance with this problem

As we are well aware, updating Windows Security issues is vitally important.

betsdv@telkomsa.net

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Michael Gray wrote:

> My Problem Outline:
>
> When trying to run, or enable, "Windows Automatic Updates" (Windows XP Home
> Edition, SP 01), I get the following message:
>
> "An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaucpl.cpl",Automatic Updates"
>
> How can I solve this problem?
>
> I do not have a Win XP Installation CD, as it came pre-installed. I have
> verified it as an authentic installation through Microsoft. It was suggested
> that installing "Windows XP SP 02" would solve this problem, but it crashed
> my computer, and I had to uninstall "SP 02" in "Safe Mode".
>
> I would appreciate any assistance with this problem
>
> As we are well aware, updating Windows Security issues is vitally important.
>
> betsdv@telkomsa.net

It would be best to post your question to the experts in the Windows
Update Newsgroup:

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User