URGENT help needed, can't logon

After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:

I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
luck?????)
Thanks for any help. Josie

begin 666 dot_transp.gif
J1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````/___R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(!3 `[
`
end
19 answers Last reply
More about urgent needed logon

    Josie wrote:
    > After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win
    > XP and rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as
    > incorrect. This is a free standing PC only networked for DSL
    > connection with a laptop. I have done multiple google searches and am
    > sort of overwhelmed and fearful of suggestions I found. The option
    > that seems most practical to me is the following which uses the XP CD
    > to repair the OS:
    >

    > I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing
    > Solutions at
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >
    > Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will
    > damage or remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options
    > that are free? Please help am in the middle of a photography project
    > (the reason I needed more storage room and went for the external
    > drive, bad idea???? or just bad luck?????)
    > Thanks for any help. Josie

    Windows XP Home or Professional?

    If XP Home, boot into safe mode - log in as the user "administrator" and for
    the password, just press ENTER. (blank password..)
    If XP Professional, reboot and press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice in a row - log in as
    the user "administrator" and for the password, just press ENTER. (blank
    password..)

    If you can get logged on as ADMINISTRATOR, simply go in now and change the
    other users password to something you will now know.

    Other options...

    Look here:

    and/or try these..
    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    If you perform a repair install, your installation media (CD) needs to
    really be the same service pack level as your currently installed system.
    You will likely need to create a new CD from the old one with SP2
    slipstreamed/integrated into it. Something like "AutoStreamer" would assist
    you in making this new CD from the old one.

    Create a SP2 Slipstreamed Windows XP CD with Autostreamer
    http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

    Perform a Repair installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan, thanks for your ideas. I have Xp Home and I have found no way to
    move beyond the log on to Win window. Anything I type for a password (have
    tried multiple variations of password as I've not forgotten it) I get the
    Log On message window telling me system could not log me on.
    Please tell me, if I buy software on line through my laptop, can you
    recommend any that is not super expensive and that is really going to help
    me fix this in the least complex way? Or should I just take my PC to a shop
    for it?
    Thank you and regards, Josie

    Josie wrote:

    > Shenan, thanks for your ideas. I have Xp Home and I have found no way
    > to move beyond the log on to Win window. Anything I type for a
    > password (have tried multiple variations of password as I've not
    > forgotten it) I get the Log On message window telling me system could
    > not log me on.
    > Please tell me, if I buy software on line through my laptop, can you
    > recommend any that is not super expensive and that is really going to
    > help me fix this in the least complex way? Or should I just take my PC
    > to a shop for it?
    > Thank you and regards, Josie

    I'm not Shenan, but I don't think he'd mind my answering you. Try this
    first: disconnect your external drive and then boot into Last Known
    Good Configuration. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the
    computer is starting up. This will get you to the correct menu to
    choose LKGC.

    If that doesn't work, then yes you should take your machine to a
    professional computer repair shop if you are uncomfortable doing some
    of the password recovery techniques that Shenan suggested. It is always
    wise to know your own limitations and no shame to take the machine to
    an expert (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, I was able to get to LKGC mode to change identities and passwords on
    two administrator settings (both are me, exclusive home user).
    Unfortunately, after trying to restart in normal after the changes were made
    in the LKGC mode, I was "welcomed" by the two new identities but the primary
    administrator acct that I use almost exclusively did not respond to the new
    password. So I went back to LKGC and used the secondary identity which did
    respond to the new password being told that it is not the correct password.

    So now I am unsure what to do next. This secondarary identity does not
    contain all my current data. Outlook Express shows latest date used as April
    05. System Restore does not appear listed in the start menu All
    Programs-Accessories- SysTools, and Maxtor One touch and Retrospect do show
    up in All Programs. Both identities appear in CP- Users Accts but the
    primary is not in C:\Documents and Settings. It is as if it and all most
    data on it has disappeared.

    Idon't want to beat a dead horse over the head but its hard to give up and
    not try to see if there is something else I can do before giving up. Do I
    unistall Maxtor? Do I check disk for errors? Do I wait to hear from you to
    find out how to restart? Or do I give up and accept the inevitability of
    having to take it to a pro? Please comment and thanks so much for your help.
    Josie

    Josie wrote:

    > Malke, I was able to get to LKGC mode to change identities and
    > passwords on two administrator settings (both are me, exclusive home
    > user). Unfortunately, after trying to restart in normal after the
    > changes were made in the LKGC mode, I was "welcomed" by the two new
    > identities but the primary
    > administrator acct that I use almost exclusively did not respond to
    > the new
    > password. So I went back to LKGC and used the secondary identity
    > which did respond to the new password being told that it is not the
    > correct password.
    >
    > So now I am unsure what to do next. This secondarary identity does not
    > contain all my current data. Outlook Express shows latest date used as
    > April 05. System Restore does not appear listed in the start menu All
    > Programs-Accessories- SysTools, and Maxtor One touch and Retrospect do
    > show up in All Programs. Both identities appear in CP- Users Accts but
    > the primary is not in C:\Documents and Settings. It is as if it and
    > all most data on it has disappeared.
    >
    > Idon't want to beat a dead horse over the head but its hard to give up
    > and not try to see if there is something else I can do before giving
    > up. Do I unistall Maxtor? Do I check disk for errors? Do I wait to
    > hear from you to find out how to restart? Or do I give up and accept
    > the inevitability of having to take it to a pro? Please comment and
    > thanks so much for your help. Josie

    Hi, Josie. It sure sounds like that Maxtor external somehow hosed your
    user account. I don't know why that would happen, but maybe your next
    step is to call Maxtor tech support. In the meantime, if you can get
    into the system at all, under any login, make sure all hidden
    files/extensions are shown (Folder Options>View tab). Then look under
    Documents and Settings and see if you can see your original profile. If
    you can, then just make a new user account (User Accounts applet in
    Control Panel) and copy over the data from your original one. Here's a
    link explaining how to copy the user account data:

    Let me know how you get on with this.

    Malke
    --

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:55:41 -0500, "Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
    >rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
    >free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >

    > I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >
    > Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
    >remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    >Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
    >more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
    >luck?????)
    > Thanks for any help. Josie

    Don't post binaries to a text newsgroup. I didn't need your tiny,
    little hardly able to see it GIF file on my hard drive.

    Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give up
    and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
    reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on. First
    I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
    that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend to
    explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
    passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..

    As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did not
    post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
    Thanks again, Malke. Josie

    josie wrote:

    > Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to
    > give up and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I
    > insisted on reloging in in spite of just one identity available post
    > LKGC log on. First I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall
    > the drivers and after that it all came back. Do not understand what
    > happened and do not intend to explore this further as curious as I am.
    > But I have two new identities and passwords in hand. Next step is SP2
    > upgrade, crossing my fingers..
    >
    > As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I
    > did not post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better
    > ignored.
    > Thanks again, Malke. Josie

    I'm so glad you got things worked out. I very much appreciate that you
    took the time to post back. After you recover from this unpleasantness,
    you might want to go to Maxtor's tech support site for that particular
    external drive and see if there are any known issues, user forums, etc.
    I haven't bought any external drives yet (I've got usb thumb drives and
    lots of computers) because I haven't needed one and money is always
    tight. So I don't have any information on why the external could have
    corrupted your user profile. I do know lots of people use the Maxtors
    with no issues.

    Make sure you back up all your data before installing Service Pack 2 and
    that your computer is completely clean. Here are some SP2 guidelines
    for your convenience:

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    Visiting a Service Center to Get SP2 - http://tinyurl.com/53xz4

    Follow the Service Pack Installation Checklist -

    http://aumha.net - See SP2 forums

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#sp2 - Windows SP2 Information,
    Guidelines and Troubleshooting

    Take care,

    Malke
    --

    "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give
    > up
    > and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
    > reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on.
    > First
    > I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
    > that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend
    > explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
    > passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..
    >
    > As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did
    > not
    > post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
    > Thanks again, Malke. Josie

    Josie

    Regarding the post about the attached graphics. There was a small graphic
    file called dot_transp.gif attached to your first message. If you don't know
    why this file was attached your computer may have been hijacked. Some
    spammers use a small tranparent gif file to see if an email ends up being
    opened. Transparent gif's can also be used to try and load an exploit on
    someone's computer. Usually the the gif file is not attached though but
    resides on a server under their control. In any case it points to something
    happening that is not under your control. You should scan your compter for
    virii and spyware.

    Kerry

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:12:03 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

    >Don't post binaries to a text newsgroup. I didn't need your tiny,
    >little hardly able to see it GIF file on my hard drive.

    Glad to see I am not the only one that this practice bugs.

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:27:39 -0500, "josie" <josie63@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thnk you thank you. I was able to get it all back after I refused to give up
    >and did what you initialy suggested over and over plus I insisted on
    >reloging in in spite of just one identity available post LKGC log on. First
    >I got my video card messed up and had to reinstall the drivers and after
    >that it all came back. Do not understand what happened and do not intend to
    >explore this further as curious as I am. But I have two new identities and
    >passwords in hand. Next step is SP2 upgrade, crossing my fingers..
    >
    >As to the post below yours, do not have any idea what it means as I did not
    >post any graphics that I'm aware of. Rudeness is better ignored.
    >Thanks again, Malke. Josie

    You probably posted using HTML to this text group. If so, any
    graphics in your message would have been sent up as well. Best to set
    your newsreader to NOT use HTML when posting to USENET.

    I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
    YOU HELP ME?

    DON wrote:
    > I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
    > YOU HELP ME?

    http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

    See the Free Tools section

    "Josie" wrote:

    > After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP and
    > rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This is a
    > free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    > done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    > suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    > following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >

    > I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions at
    > http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >
    > Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage or
    > remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    > Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I needed
    > more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just bad
    > luck?????)
    > Thanks for any help. Josie

    Try here:

    "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
    > YOU HELP ME?
    >
    > "Josie" wrote:
    >
    >> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
    >> and
    >> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
    >> is a
    >> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >>

    >> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
    >> at
    >> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
    >> or
    >> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    >> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
    >> needed
    >> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
    >> bad
    >> luck?????)
    >> Thanks for any help. Josie

    A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair in
    the past without data loss)

    > "Josie" wrote:
    >
    >> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
    >> and
    >> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
    >> is a
    >> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >>

    >> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
    >> at
    >> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
    >> or
    >> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    >> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
    >> needed
    >> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
    >> bad
    >> luck?????)
    >> Thanks for any help. Josie

    If you have a pre-SP1 or SP2 installation disk, you will need to reapply all updates since your install disk was created.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ufIaTUauFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair in
    > the past without data loss)
    > "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Josie" wrote:
    >>
    >>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
    >>> and
    >>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
    >>> is a
    >>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >>>

    >>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
    >>> at
    >>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
    >>> or
    >>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    >>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
    >>> needed
    >>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
    >>> bad
    >>> luck?????)
    >>> Thanks for any help. Josie

    Good point, forgot to mention that. Thanks.
    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    If you have a pre-SP1 or SP2 installation disk, you will need to reapply all
    updates since your install disk was created.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >A repair will not destroy or remove current data ( I have used the repair
    >in
    > the past without data loss)
    > "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Josie" wrote:
    >>
    >>> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
    >>> and
    >>> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
    >>> is a
    >>> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >>> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >>> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >>> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >>>

    >>> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing
    >>> Solutions
    >>> at
    >>> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
    >>> or
    >>> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are
    >>> free?
    >>> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
    >>> needed
    >>> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
    >>> bad
    >>> luck?????)
    >>> Thanks for any help. Josie

    WERE YOU SUCCESSFUL?

    "DON" <DON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I HAVE FORGOTTEM MY ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. CAN
    > YOU HELP ME?
    >
    > "Josie" wrote:
    >
    >> After installing the software for a Maxtor external drive in my win XP
    >> and
    >> rebooting I am unable to logon, password is rejected as incorrect. This
    >> is a
    >> free standing PC only networked for DSL connection with a laptop. I have
    >> done multiple google searches and am sort of overwhelmed and fearful of
    >> suggestions I found. The option that seems most practical to me is the
    >> following which uses the XP CD to repair the OS:
    >>

    >> I Forgot my password ! by Vic Fe from MouseTrax Computing Solutions
    >> at
    >> http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me if I use the XP CD to repair if it will damage
    >> or
    >> remove any of my current data? Can you offer other options that are free?
    >> Please help am in the middle of a photography project (the reason I
    >> needed
    >> more storage room and went for the external drive, bad idea???? or just
    >> bad
    >> luck?????)
    >> Thanks for any help. Josie

Windows XP