Dumb question

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Just as my headline says, here comes a dumb question: to utilize a game
controller (game pad, joystick, etc), you pretty much HAVE to have a sound
card, correct? I have a Dell which I was non-forward-thinking enough to get
with integrated everything (thinking that by now they would have integrated
all the stuff I now have to integrate myself).
Thanks,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,

No such thing as dumb questions, just smart alek replies. ;-)

You do not need a soundcard gameport for modern joysticks
and gamepads. They connect using the USB connectors which
I'm sure your DELL has several of already. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7327AB42-DB06-474B-BB1B-0D9B72870CC8@microsoft.com...
> Just as my headline says, here comes a dumb question: to utilize a game
> controller (game pad, joystick, etc), you pretty much HAVE to have a sound
> card, correct? I have a Dell which I was non-forward-thinking enough to get
> with integrated everything (thinking that by now they would have integrated
> all the stuff I now have to integrate myself).
> Thanks,
> Chuck

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just as my headline says, here comes a dumb question: to utilize a game
> controller (game pad, joystick, etc), you pretty much HAVE to have a sound
> card, correct? I have a Dell which I was non-forward-thinking enough to
> get
> with integrated everything (thinking that by now they would have
> integrated
> all the stuff I now have to integrate myself).
> Thanks,
> Chuck

Nope. You used to need one (or a dedicated gameport card, which worked
better) but that was in the bad old days before USB. I actually can't think
of a controller in the last few years which has needed a game port.