Status
Not open for further replies.

How the hell can I sign out of this website? (I signed in ok, and have never
had this hassle before?) I'm going to pull the plug now (I speak
metaphorically), but would appreciate any suggestions as to why this happened
- and what to do if it happens again. Thanks.

JessJ
(XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 60GB; Linux 20GB. HDD2: NTFS 40GB. P4
HT. 512MB)
[Please note: Display name changed from Jess. I want to be unique!]

Malke

JessJ wrote:

> How the hell can I sign out of this website? (I signed in ok, and
> have never
> had this hassle before?) I'm going to pull the plug now (I speak
> metaphorically), but would appreciate any suggestions as to why this
> happened
> - and what to do if it happens again. Thanks.
>
> JessJ
> (XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 60GB; Linux 20GB. HDD2: NTFS
> 40GB. P4 HT. 512MB)
> [Please note: Display name changed from Jess. I want to be unique!]

Sign out of *what* website? If you are talking about the web interface
of the Microsoft newsgroups, then learn to use a newsreader. Here is
information about that:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
some links to information about newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

In Linux, some choices for newsreaders are KNode (KDE), Pan,
Thunderbird, Emacs, and there are others.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks for the information. I've put off getting to grips with newsreaders
because I'm worried about things downloading and taking up my diminishing
free disk space. But maybe they don't act like that. So you are right, I'll
have to learn.

However, the point was, 'why did signing off work differently on that
occaision?' Now, I think I have the answer. I mis-typed my password
initially, and that confused the sign off software. Perhaps that sounds like
nonesense, but that is what happened.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

--
Jess

"Malke" wrote:

> JessJ wrote:
>
> > How the hell can I sign out of this website? (I signed in ok, and
> > have never
> > had this hassle before?) I'm going to pull the plug now (I speak
> > metaphorically), but would appreciate any suggestions as to why this
> > happened
> > - and what to do if it happens again. Thanks.
> >
> > JessJ
> > (XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 60GB; Linux 20GB. HDD2: NTFS
> > 40GB. P4 HT. 512MB)
> > [Please note: Display name changed from Jess. I want to be unique!]
>
> Sign out of *what* website? If you are talking about the web interface
> of the Microsoft newsgroups, then learn to use a newsreader. Here is
> information about that:
>
> Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
> really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
> learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
> but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
> some links to information about newsgroups:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
> explanation of newsgroups
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
> - Set Up Newsreader
>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
> working properly
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
> crossposting
>
> In Linux, some choices for newsreaders are KNode (KDE), Pan,
> Thunderbird, Emacs, and there are others.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

JessJ wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I've put off getting to grips with
> newsreaders because I'm worried about things downloading and taking up
> my diminishing
> free disk space. But maybe they don't act like that. So you are
> right, I'll have to learn.
>
> However, the point was, 'why did signing off work differently on that
> occaision?' Now, I think I have the answer. I mis-typed my password
> initially, and that confused the sign off software. Perhaps that
> sounds like nonesense, but that is what happened.
>
> Anyway, thanks again for the info.

You're most welcome. If you don't have enough hard drive space, think
about getting a bigger drive. However, if you are using Windows then
you already have Outlook Express so no further space will be taken up.
You can set OE to only d/l headers and can adjust the amount of space
allocated to saving messages.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

candy_46

After I sign out and close my email when I go to sign in again the computer has me already signed in. I don't want others to have access to my account.