Closed

Can't sign out

How the hell can I sign out of this website? (I signed in ok, and have never
had this hassle before?) I'm going to pull the plug now (I speak
metaphorically), but would appreciate any suggestions as to why this happened
- and what to do if it happens again. Thanks.

JessJ
(XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 60GB; Linux 20GB. HDD2: NTFS 40GB. P4
HT. 512MB)
[Please note: Display name changed from Jess. I want to be unique!]
5 answers Last reply
More about sign

    JessJ wrote:

    > How the hell can I sign out of this website? (I signed in ok, and
    > have never
    > had this hassle before?) I'm going to pull the plug now (I speak
    > metaphorically), but would appreciate any suggestions as to why this
    > happened
    > - and what to do if it happens again. Thanks.
    >
    > JessJ
    > (XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 60GB; Linux 20GB. HDD2: NTFS
    > 40GB. P4 HT. 512MB)
    > [Please note: Display name changed from Jess. I want to be unique!]

    Sign out of *what* website? If you are talking about the web interface
    of the Microsoft newsgroups, then learn to use a newsreader. Here is
    information about that:

    Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
    really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
    learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
    but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
    some links to information about newsgroups:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    In Linux, some choices for newsreaders are KNode (KDE), Pan,
    Thunderbird, Emacs, and there are others.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for the information. I've put off getting to grips with newsreaders
    because I'm worried about things downloading and taking up my diminishing
    free disk space. But maybe they don't act like that. So you are right, I'll
    have to learn.

    However, the point was, 'why did signing off work differently on that
    occaision?' Now, I think I have the answer. I mis-typed my password
    initially, and that confused the sign off software. Perhaps that sounds like
    nonesense, but that is what happened.

    Anyway, thanks again for the info.

    --
    Jess

    JessJ wrote:

    > Thanks for the information. I've put off getting to grips with
    > newsreaders because I'm worried about things downloading and taking up
    > my diminishing
    > free disk space. But maybe they don't act like that. So you are
    > right, I'll have to learn.
    >
    > However, the point was, 'why did signing off work differently on that
    > occaision?' Now, I think I have the answer. I mis-typed my password
    > initially, and that confused the sign off software. Perhaps that
    > sounds like nonesense, but that is what happened.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks again for the info.

    You're most welcome. If you don't have enough hard drive space, think
    about getting a bigger drive. However, if you are using Windows then
    you already have Outlook Express so no further space will be taken up.
    You can set OE to only d/l headers and can adjust the amount of space
    allocated to saving messages.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  4. After I sign out and close my email when I go to sign in again the computer has me already signed in. I don't want others to have access to my account.
  5. Necro post detected. Closing thread.

Windows XP