Help needed! Windows will not boot off one HD.

SmikkE

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Ok... two days ago, I go and try to install Mandrake Linux. I remove one stick of RAM (512 MB), leaving me with 512 MB, since Mandrake's graphical installation (atleast the one for all versions at least up to 9.1) does not work.

Ok, so I have two hard drives, a sort of old Maxtor 30GB, and a newer Barracuda 80GB. So, I format 30GB drive, keep 80GB drive the same... install Linux onto 30GB drive.
Note: this is where I might have screwed up, when messing with the bootloader. but I doubt it. Anyway, I reboot Linux, get a choose your OS menu, except it's not really a menu like it should be, more like a prompt. I boot up Linux (with full 512+512 RAM), it works... install nForce2 drivers...

Then, I try to get back on Windows, but get a similar message to the other guy on the board... the NTLDR message. I unplug the 30GB HD cables, but get a "<b>NFORCE BOOT AGENT</b>" error. I do steps to remove that, get another error, "<b>SYSTEM BOOT FAIL</b>" or something like that... I start to ponder. It seems as though my computer simply cannot find the C:\WINDOWS files from the hard drive, and is therefore ignoring it in the bootorder. The thing is booting from CD and diskette.

So I decide to retry my other harddrive. Plug it in, set it to slave (it used to be master...), format, install windows... tadaa, it works. But I could repair all the damage and reinstall all the programs on to this installation of WINDOWS, but don't want to. Help is desperately needed. By the way, where can I find <b>boot.ini</b>? I am having trouble finding it.

<b>My cúrrent boot order</b>
1: Floppy
2: HDD-0
3: CDROM
4: Other

<b>All hard drives are IDE drives</b>

<b>More system specs:</b>
AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton (2.4ghz)
1024 MB PC3500 RAM
80 GB Barracude (7200 and 8 MB cache, not so sure about cache) + 30 GB (damn old) hard drives.
Asus A7N8X (normal...)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SmikkE on 05/19/04 11:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
You've screwed up your boot sequence. You can't just swap the boot drives around and expect windows\LILO to find it. If you want to boot from harddisk then there must be boot instructions in c:\. There are numerous linux HOWTOs on how to do this successfully posted on the web.

If you want to use Windows as C:\. then you can simply set it to HDD-0, get into Windows Recovery console and do 'fixboot'. If you change the settings in explorer to unhide system files you will find boot.ini in c:\ (where it must be). You can then edit boot.ini to boot linux on hdd-1.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: