strange laptop malfunction

ok this has me stumped. I've been using a friend's Asus laptop (don't know
the model), running windows xp (completely updated)... and yesterday, the
keyboard stopped working. kind of. while the bios is loading it works fine,
and under a user that never gets used it works fine. however, when the main
user is active, whenever a key is pressed, a strange beepy clicky noise is
made (similar to when windows locks up and doesn't accept any keyboard
input), and nothing appears on the screen... BUT if the key is held for a
second or two (I beleive its the time it takes for the key to repeat itself),
the value correctly appears. the trick doesn't work when the key is tapped
twice. Everything else on the computer works fine. I've since installed
spybot and adaware, and made sure my norton definitions are up to date, and
have run all three numerous times... I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
keyboard drivers, to no avail. Any help or direction at all is immensly
appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie
2 answers Last reply
More about strange laptop malfunction

    Start>>Control Panel>>Accessibility Options

    make sure none of the Keyboard options are enabled

    if you can't get here because of the problem, try it in
    Safe Mode.

    "jmitchell637" <jmitchell637@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok this has me stumped. I've been using a friend's Asus laptop (don't know
    > the model), running windows xp (completely updated)... and yesterday, the
    > keyboard stopped working. kind of. while the bios is loading it works
    fine,
    > and under a user that never gets used it works fine. however, when the
    main
    > user is active, whenever a key is pressed, a strange beepy clicky noise is
    > made (similar to when windows locks up and doesn't accept any keyboard
    > input), and nothing appears on the screen... BUT if the key is held for a
    > second or two (I beleive its the time it takes for the key to repeat
    itself),
    > the value correctly appears. the trick doesn't work when the key is tapped
    > twice. Everything else on the computer works fine. I've since installed
    > spybot and adaware, and made sure my norton definitions are up to date,
    and
    > have run all three numerous times... I've uninstalled and reinstalled the
    > keyboard drivers, to no avail. Any help or direction at all is immensly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jamie

    You enabled one of the Accessibility Options, for people with
    disabilities.
    I believe you enabled Filter Keys.

    A.

    --