Nortons File causing safe mode start

I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....

I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled nortons
and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.

A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed that
this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion to
delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.

Thanks,
Jean
6 answers Last reply
More about nortons file causing safe mode start

    jmm48 wrote:

    > I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....
    >
    > I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
    > Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled nortons
    > and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
    > access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
    > continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.
    >
    > A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
    > Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed that
    > this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion to
    > delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
    > problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
    > need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jean

    Why do you need NIS? There are better options available.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Search Google. It's amazing what you can find there!
    http://www.google.com/search?biw=567&hl=en&q=SYMTDI&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....
    >
    > I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
    > Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled
    > nortons
    > and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
    > access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
    > continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.
    >
    > A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
    > Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed
    > that
    > this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion
    > delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
    > problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
    > need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jean

    Gentlemen,

    Thanks so much for the replies...it is appreciated. I have checked
    Google...that's how I learned the reason for my problem...I have tried the
    registry fixes and they aren't working. That's why I came here as a last
    result.

    I have used Nortons for years and have been very happy. This is actually the
    first problem I have encountered.

    Any ideas on solving the problem is greatly appreciated.
    Jean

    jmm48 wrote:

    > Gentlemen,
    >
    > Thanks so much for the replies...it is appreciated. I have checked
    > Google...that's how I learned the reason for my problem...I have tried the
    > registry fixes and they aren't working. That's why I came here as a last
    > result.
    >
    > I have used Nortons for years and have been very happy. This is actually the
    > first problem I have encountered.
    >
    > Any ideas on solving the problem is greatly appreciated.
    > Jean

    <snip>

    Again, there are better solutions than NIS. The quality of a software
    offering can change and has with NIS. It's bloated and prone to
    problems. Better off without it. For help with your problems contact
    Symantec tech support.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks Rock...needless to say I ma very disappointed. Your opinion is not the
    only one that has advised Nortons is a problem....I never had any problems in
    the past w/ them....it is sad.

    Thanks again,
    Jean

    jmm48 wrote:

    > Thanks Rock...needless to say I ma very disappointed. Your opinion is not the
    > only one that has advised Nortons is a problem....I never had any problems in
    > the past w/ them....it is sad.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Jean

    You're welcome.