Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nortons File causing safe mode start

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:20:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....

I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled nortons
and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.

A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed that
this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion to
delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.

Thanks,
Jean
June 26, 2005 5:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jmm48 wrote:

> I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....
>
> I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
> Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled nortons
> and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
> access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
> continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.
>
> A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
> Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed that
> this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion to
> delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
> problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
> need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Jean

Why do you need NIS? There are better options available.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:27:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Search Google. It's amazing what you can find there!
http://www.google.com/search?biw=567&hl=en&q=SYMTDI&btn...

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FDAC718F-36F9-4827-8947-C7CF12FA27DB@microsoft.com...
>I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....
>
> I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
> Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled
> nortons
> and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
> access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
> continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.
>
> A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
> Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed
> that
> this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion
> to
> delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
> problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
> need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Jean
Related resources
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the replies...it is appreciated. I have checked
Google...that's how I learned the reason for my problem...I have tried the
registry fixes and they aren't working. That's why I came here as a last
result.

I have used Nortons for years and have been very happy. This is actually the
first problem I have encountered.

Any ideas on solving the problem is greatly appreciated.
Jean

"Rock" wrote:

> jmm48 wrote:
>
> > I have searched these forums and can't find an answer so here goes....
> >
> > I have installed Nortons Internet Security. I could not then access the
> > Internet and had difficulty booting into normal start. I uninstalled nortons
> > and was able to access the internet. I reinstalled nortons and can still
> > access the internet, however, I still have issues w/ booting. The computer
> > continues to want to boot into safe mode fairly frequently.
> >
> > A check of the device manager reveals a problem w/ the SYMTDI driver.
> > Tracking this dowm, it belongs to Nortons. A brief search has revealed that
> > this SYMTDI interferes w/ files in Windows startup. I found a suggestion to
> > delete files from the registry, however, that has caused the system worse
> > problems, so I put the registry back. Does anybody have any suggestions? I
> > need Nortons, but, this safe mode start is a real problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jean
>
> Why do you need NIS? There are better options available.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>
June 27, 2005 1:13:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jmm48 wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> Thanks so much for the replies...it is appreciated. I have checked
> Google...that's how I learned the reason for my problem...I have tried the
> registry fixes and they aren't working. That's why I came here as a last
> result.
>
> I have used Nortons for years and have been very happy. This is actually the
> first problem I have encountered.
>
> Any ideas on solving the problem is greatly appreciated.
> Jean
>

<snip>

Again, there are better solutions than NIS. The quality of a software
offering can change and has with NIS. It's bloated and prone to
problems. Better off without it. For help with your problems contact
Symantec tech support.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:45:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Rock...needless to say I ma very disappointed. Your opinion is not the
only one that has advised Nortons is a problem....I never had any problems in
the past w/ them....it is sad.

Thanks again,
Jean

"Rock" wrote:

> jmm48 wrote:
>
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> > Thanks so much for the replies...it is appreciated. I have checked
> > Google...that's how I learned the reason for my problem...I have tried the
> > registry fixes and they aren't working. That's why I came here as a last
> > result.
> >
> > I have used Nortons for years and have been very happy. This is actually the
> > first problem I have encountered.
> >
> > Any ideas on solving the problem is greatly appreciated.
> > Jean
> >
>
> <snip>
>
> Again, there are better solutions than NIS. The quality of a software
> offering can change and has with NIS. It's bloated and prone to
> problems. Better off without it. For help with your problems contact
> Symantec tech support.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
>
June 27, 2005 3:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jmm48 wrote:

> Thanks Rock...needless to say I ma very disappointed. Your opinion is not the
> only one that has advised Nortons is a problem....I never had any problems in
> the past w/ them....it is sad.
>
> Thanks again,
> Jean

You're welcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
!