MS Windows vs Linux wireless internet

a b F Wireless
June 26, 2005 8:29:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

Hi,

I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100
running under MS WinXP. So far, I've been able to pick up two keys and to
connect to the Internet at my university and at the airport. I'm also
required to work with Linux and so I'll need to pick up some generic
software for the wireless network adapter. Can anyone tell me if Windows
wireless networking offers any features (other than possibly ease of use)
over Linux wireless or if generic Linux wireless has any desirable features?
The wireless network keys that I've picked up so far seem to provide
security from eavesdropping over the airwaves, but at a university it cannot
be assumed that any communications or file is safe from eavesdropping so one
acts accordingly. Linux is a less hostile environment and I don't worry
about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any additional
advice that would be useful? Thanks.

Ian St. John

More about : windows linux wireless internet

June 26, 2005 9:02:55 PM

Ian St. John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100

Answered in XP General.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ian St. John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100
> running under MS WinXP. So far, I've been able to pick up two keys and
> to connect to the Internet at my university and at the airport. I'm
> also required to work with Linux and so I'll need to pick up some
> generic software for the wireless network adapter. Can anyone tell me
> if Windows wireless networking offers any features (other than
> possibly ease of use) over Linux wireless or if generic Linux wireless
> has any desirable features? The wireless network keys that I've picked
> up so far seem to provide security from eavesdropping over the
> airwaves, but at a university it cannot be assumed that any
> communications or file is safe from eavesdropping so one acts
> accordingly. Linux is a less hostile environment and I don't worry
> about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any
> additional advice that would be useful? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

Sorry for the multiple answer - I guess I answered your question in one
of the many other newsgroups to which you posted this question and not
in XP General. Search for your name in Google Groups and find it.

Malke
--
!