Bungy's [First] Newbie Training Session - WED OCT 27

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a PZ3 "example"
map, for all newbies to come and ask whatever questions they may have
prior to the start of PettingZooThree. The session will start at ~20:00
(EDT)
on Wed Oct 27 (2004), and last about 3 hours or so. My intent here is to
help the total newbies thru the first ~5+ updates so as to help keep them
off
the obvious fodder list.

The goals of this seminar are:
1) Initial commands (how to break and explore without killing all your
mobility)
2) Guidance on where to designate Iron Mines
3) How to get Civs and UWs into your mountains without killing all of your
mobility
4) Why is is important to not have your civs get truncated (this shows up in
the power report and indicates that you are fodder).
5) Why you need to make IRON on update 1. LCMs on update 2. EDU,
OIL, and DUST on/by update 3. TECH on update 4.
6) How to make ships, and improve them so they are ready to go.
7) etc

I'd ask that anyone interested to please shoot me an email that you are
interested
in such a session, so that I can prepare accordingly. You are welcome to
use
anonymous style names in the session (ie: "Joe", "Fodder1", etc), as to keep
the
lawnmowers from getting an easy ID on you if they happen to *check in* via
the
"visitor account".

-Bungy

"Bungholio" <empire_bungholioNOSAPM@verizon.net> writes:

> I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a PZ3 "example"
> map, for all newbies to come and ask whatever questions they may have
> prior to the start of PettingZooThree. The session will start at ~20:00
> (EDT)
> on Wed Oct 27 (2004), and last about 3 hours or so. My intent here is to
> help the total newbies thru the first ~5+ updates so as to help keep them
> off
> the obvious fodder list.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

In article <874qkomtq2.fsf@pond.sub.org>,
Markus Armbruster <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:
>"Bungholio" <empire_bungholioNOSAPM@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a PZ3 "example"
>> map, for all newbies to come and ask whatever questions they may have
>> prior to the start of PettingZooThree. The session will start at ~20:00
>> (EDT)
>> on Wed Oct 27 (2004), and last about 3 hours or so. My intent here is to
>> help the total newbies thru the first ~5+ updates so as to help keep them
>> off
>> the obvious fodder list.
>
>*clap* *clap* *clap*

If your fodder's going to die and you know it clap your hands!
(*clap* *clap*)..

:)

Seriously, any effort to help newbies is very appreciated!

-Geoff
aka Mithrilien

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I'm going to be on the early fodder list.

This will be my first game in over 10 years, and my wife laughingly
mentioned 'lawyer' in the same sentence as Empire.

Fortunately, the wounds have healed over the years.

Johnny C

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Welcome back to the group, Johnny. I'm Bungy, and I been playing for 7
years. I too was once fodder. It all started out during a particularly hot
summer in '97, when I was looking for the next civilization style game, and
stumbled into Empire. The rest is history.

"Johnny Canuck" <test@testola.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be on the early fodder list.
>
> This will be my first game in over 10 years, and my wife laughingly
> mentioned 'lawyer' in the same sentence as Empire.
>
> Fortunately, the wounds have healed over the years.
>

> Johnny C

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Thanks Bungy,

I'm really looking forward to the game, and have been playing with a server
at home in order to reacquaint myself with some of the basics.

I doubt that I'll be able to take advantage of the first day's extra moves
though.

Last time I tried that was when the deity started a game the same day as our
5th wedding anniversary in '92. On that day, there were about 4 updates, and
I didn't have any GUI's to help me along.

:^O

"Bungholio" <empire_bungholioNOSAPM@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Welcome back to the group, Johnny. I'm Bungy, and I been playing for 7
> years. I too was once fodder. It all started out during a particularly
> hot
> summer in '97, when I was looking for the next civilization style game,
> and
> stumbled into Empire. The rest is history.
>

> "Johnny Canuck" <test@testola.com> wrote in message
>> I'm going to be on the early fodder list.
>>
>> This will be my first game in over 10 years, and my wife laughingly
>> mentioned 'lawyer' in the same sentence as Empire.
>>
>> Fortunately, the wounds have healed over the years.
>>

>> Johnny C

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I will be hosting a newbie training session, based on a PZ3
"example" map, for all newbies to come and ask whatever
questions they may have prior to the start of PettingZoo3.
[...]

The training seminar will be hosted at:

EMPIREHOST=sheepfarm.game-host.org
EMPIREPORT=6666

There are 5 of each type of start continent:
Rock: 1/1 : 4/4 : 7/7 : 10/10 : 13/13
Paper: 2/2 : 5/5 : 8/8 : 11/11 : 14/14
Scissors: 3/3 : 6/6 : 9/9 : 12/12 : 15/15

The test blitz will be reset again at ~19:30 on Weds so
that we have a fresh start for the training seminar.

It is a "Bring Your Own Beer" policy. Otherwise, ask
whatever questions you got. I'll try my best to provide
some guidance on what I think I'd do. I'm not claiming to
be any grandmaster champion, I'm just trying to offer
guidance to new players to help them get thru the first
5+ updates more efficiently.

Meanwhile, registrations are pouring in for PZ3, as we have
just 5 days left, and 13 players registered so far.

-Bungy