USB1.1/2.0 & External HD & WinXP w/ SP2

I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop
and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/ SP1.
Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
working. I get an error message that says:

"This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
port".

Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
update my USB drivers or something?

Please advise!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about usb1 external winxp

    How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub"
    warning message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835967

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Fred Hammond" wrote:

    | I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop
    | and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/ SP1.
    | Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
    | working. I get an error message that says:
    |
    | "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
    | port".
    |
    | Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
    | update my USB drivers or something?
    |
    | Please advise!!!

    Thanks Carey.

    Now, I still need to understand why my external HD does not work since I
    upgraded both of my machines to SP2.

    Any clue?

    > How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB
    > hub"
    > warning message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835967
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Fred Hammond" wrote:
    >
    > | I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600
    > desktop
    > | and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/
    > SP1.
    > | Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
    > | working. I get an error message that says:
    > |
    > | "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
    > | port".
    > |
    > | Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
    > | update my USB drivers or something?
    > |
    > | Please advise!!!

    General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Fred Hammond" wrote:

    | Thanks Carey.
    |
    | Now, I still need to understand why my external HD does not work since I
    | upgraded both of my machines to SP2.
    |
    | Any clue?

HD Windows XP