USB1.1/2.0 & External HD & WinXP w/ SP2

June 26, 2005 8:50:04 PM

I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop
and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/ SP1.
Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
working. I get an error message that says:

"This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
port".

Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
update my USB drivers or something?

Please advise!!!
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:59:12 PM

How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub"
warning message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835967

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Fred Hammond" wrote:

| I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop
| and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/ SP1.
| Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
| working. I get an error message that says:
|
| "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
| port".
|
| Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
| update my USB drivers or something?
|
| Please advise!!!
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:10:38 PM

Thanks Carey.

Now, I still need to understand why my external HD does not work since I
upgraded both of my machines to SP2.

Any clue?

> How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB
> hub"
> warning message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835967
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Fred Hammond" wrote:
>
> | I have an external HD which was running OK on a Dell Dimension 4600
> desktop
> | and a Dell Latitude C600 laptop. Both machines were running Win XP w/
> SP1.
> | Once I upgraded both machines to Service Pack 2, my external HD stopped
> | working. I get an error message that says:
> |
> | "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed usb 2.0
> | port".
> |
> | Is there something within SP2 that is causing this problem? Can I just
> | update my USB drivers or something?
> |
> | Please advise!!!

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:10:39 PM

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP