New Hard Drive

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have installed a new harddrive onto my system. I am running XP with SP2.
I am trying to set up the new hard drive as a secondary hard drive. Whenever
I boot up the BIOS sees the new drive. However, once windows starts i cannot
see the hard drive. Not through My computer or explorer. I have run add new
hardware many times but it states that I have no new hard ware. I have
removed the drive. Restarted windows, closed down, added the drive and still
get the same results. Every once in a blue moon whenever I boot up I can see
and access the new drive normally. I have saved things to it, accessed it
and done all normal operations. But next time I boot up. POOF!! its gone
again.
--
thanks

jeremy

Is this an IDE drive and, if so, is it at the end of your IDE cable or the
middle? If in the middle, do you have the installation strap at the back
of the drive in the 'slave' or 'cable select' position? If the strap is in
the 'master' position, along with your other drive, that may be your
conflict. Make sure all connections are fully seated.......the IDE
connectors can oft be troublesome to fully connect. If the above does not
resolve your issue, post back with more details about the drives and your
method of connection, new or used, etc.
Heirloom, old and got four of them working at the
moment

"Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a new harddrive onto my system. I am running XP with SP2.
> I am trying to set up the new hard drive as a secondary hard drive.
> Whenever
> I boot up the BIOS sees the new drive. However, once windows starts i
> cannot
> see the hard drive. Not through My computer or explorer. I have run add
> new
> hardware many times but it states that I have no new hard ware. I have
> removed the drive. Restarted windows, closed down, added the drive and
> still
> get the same results. Every once in a blue moon whenever I boot up I can
> see
> and access the new drive normally. I have saved things to it, accessed it
> and done all normal operations. But next time I boot up. POOF!! its gone
> again.
> --
> thanks
>
> jeremy

You need to set the partition to active with disk manager.
Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Select Disk Management from the left pane. You should see the drive.

--
BSchwarz

The drive will not be seen until you use disk management to create a
partition on the new drive.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a new harddrive onto my system. I am running XP with SP2.
> I am trying to set up the new hard drive as a secondary hard drive.
> Whenever
> I boot up the BIOS sees the new drive. However, once windows starts i
> cannot
> see the hard drive. Not through My computer or explorer. I have run add
> new
> hardware many times but it states that I have no new hard ware. I have
> removed the drive. Restarted windows, closed down, added the drive and
> still
> get the same results. Every once in a blue moon whenever I boot up I can
> see
> and access the new drive normally. I have saved things to it, accessed it
> and done all normal operations. But next time I boot up. POOF!! its gone
> again.
> --
> thanks
>
> jeremy

Malke

Richard Urban wrote:

> The drive will not be seen until you use disk management to create a
> partition on the new drive.

He must have done because he said he's already saved stuff to it. It
sounds more like he could have a hardware issue.

Jeremy - here are a few things to try:

1. Reseat the ribbon cable on both ends.
2. Swap out the cable for a new, known-working one that you are sure is
the right type (80-wire and not an older 40-wire).
3. Check your jumpering.

If the above steps don't help, run a drive diagnostic. If you bought the
new drive retail, it probably will have come with a diagnostic utility.
If you bought white-box or the drive didn't come with the utility,
download one from the drive mftr.'s website. Make a bootable floppy or
cd with it, boot with that media and do a thorough test. If the drive
tests bad, return it. Usually if hardware is going to fail, it does so
right away or goes for years so the fact that the drive is new doesn't
mean it can't be bad.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> Richard Urban wrote:
>
>> The drive will not be seen until you use disk management to create a
>> partition on the new drive.
>>
> He must have done because he said he's already saved stuff to it. It
> sounds more like he could have a hardware issue.
>
> Jeremy - here are a few things to try:
>
> 1. Reseat the ribbon cable on both ends.
> 2. Swap out the cable for a new, known-working one that you are sure is
> the right type (80-wire and not an older 40-wire).
> 3. Check your jumpering.
>
> If the above steps don't help, run a drive diagnostic. If you bought the
> new drive retail, it probably will have come with a diagnostic utility.
> If you bought white-box or the drive didn't come with the utility,
> download one from the drive mftr.'s website. Make a bootable floppy or
> cd with it, boot with that media and do a thorough test. If the drive
> tests bad, return it. Usually if hardware is going to fail, it does so
> right away or goes for years so the fact that the drive is new doesn't
> mean it can't be bad.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Also try putting the new drive on the secondary IDE port.
--
Ron Sommer

Since:
1. The bios always "sees" the new hard drive.
2. You have been able to save files to the hard drive.
3. Access to the drive in windows is intermittent

Then:
1. You have already taken possession of the drive in disk management, or was
not needed.
..2. The jumper settings are correct.

Prognosis:
Communication problem with the hard drive only in XP OS. Most likely,
caused by one of three things:
1. Ill fitting ide ribbon cable either at the hard drive's electonics card,
at the motherboard, or the ribbon cable needs replacing as the hard drive
calls for an 80 wire type.
2. The hard drive's low level communications is the recepient of timing
communication problems while used in tandem with the other hard drive. Not
detectible at the OS level, only the symptoms are noted. Another reply said
to move it to the secondary ide port. This may work, but not always.
3. +5V amperage of your power supply may be marginal to meet adding another
physical hard drive to the system.

"BSchwarz" <BSchwarz.1r97cz@no-mx.gateway.localhost> wrote in message

> You need to set the partition to active with disk manager.

Nope. Setting a partition active tells the hard drive's MBR to point at
this hard drive's boot files from the partition boot record.