Micro Sata to Sata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoncker

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Hi

Ok this has been a non stop search and I am not finding the answer. I have just gotten a samsung 128GB SSD with micro sata connector BUT my NC10 has Sata connector. This is great cause it means that I cannot use this very fine SSD. Does anyone have an idea here ? an adapter or other that could be done. Many thanks in advance.

Micro sata?

Never heard of that before - notebook and desktop drives use the exact same standard SATA connectors. The only two varieties that I've heard of are standard and E-sata.

G

[USB] XION XON-SAHDCB-USB SATA HDD to USB 2.0 Dock Station Mounting HDD within seconds and fit both 2.5" and 3.5" SATA HDD to USB 2.0 of your PC

G

Hey SizroSpunkm, thanks for linking to my store :lol: . What you linked to is the SLIMLINE sata cable. This is commonly used on new dvd burners. Micro sata is actually a different connector that is rarely available right now. Its going to be used on these drives like you bought even though its VERY hard to find Micro SATA cables due to how new this technology is. I expect to have the cable on my site in January for purchase... until then, you can find them on the internet for about 20 dollars a piece. We'll come in much lower than that though. Good luck. ;)

Oh and keep checking http://estore.circuitassembly.com/ for the micro sata cable.

andrewlang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
It sure is :D . We're working on tooling that connector right now. We're having some trouble trying to figure out how to wire the power connector... it seems that for different applications you need different power specs. :heink:

stoncker

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Hi Andrew,

I look forward to hear from you as I have 30 128 GB SSD Micro Sata drives sitting here in my office gathering dust. So once I have a connector I can sell them.

Thanks please send to my mail on fred259.2athotmail.com

andrewlang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Stoncker,

I sent you an e-mail to your personal e-mail with a few questions of my own, lets see what we can figure out.

We just got some samples on on this adapter cable that works to use your SSD drives on a standard SATA equipped computer. The problem we have is with the power. SATA is either 12v or 5v (which will destroy your drive) but the SSD drive requires 3.3v. We used a voltage regulator to convert the voltage but this makes the cable a little costly.

My question to this forum is... what's the use in hooking up your SSD drive to your computer? why not use a regular hard drive? I could see the use if you are trying to build a micro server using these tiny drives.

Help me out here.

casylius

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

microsatacables

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I have for sale on Ebay Micro SATA Cables that also have some with options that do have 5V to 3.3V power conversion included in the assembly because of that reason. Most of the 1.8 inch drives SSD or HDD's do operate at 3.3V. I also have a 22 pin male to 16 pin female adapter. On Ebay type in Micro SATA cables my ID is microsatacables so you may find something you need.

I hope this helps.

Microsatacables

andrewlang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Hi Everyone,

We are currently working a cable that has a built in converter for the 5v and 3.3v power. This means that you can use a standard power supply to input power to the SSD drive with our adapter (this can't be done with other adapters available today). If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. Once its available for sale and has a price I will post back here.

Regards,
Andrew Lang
Circuit Assembly

euimin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Dear Circuit Assembly,

I would appreciate a direct conversion from standard-SATA-to-micro-SATA (simply rerouting pins) more than a conversion from 4-pin-Molex-to-micro-SATA (possibly using some kind of a resistive divider).

Thank you. I am eagerly waiting.

andrewlang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I sent you over a private message. I think the adapter you are talking about is exactly what is in production currently. When I get photos I can post online i will post them here.

Regards,
Andrew Lang
Circuit Assembly

microsatacables

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

I wanted to make everyone aware that because of this specific need I have developed a few cables that have conversion capabilities from 5V to 3.3V These were specifically designed to address the the need to power the newer 3.3V SSD's form either a 4 pin Molex power source of 5V or a 15 pin SATA power with 5V. I am in the process of building my site which you can currently visit at www.microsatacables.com . You will be able to link on it and it will take you to ebay where I currently have all my cables and adapters posted.

Thanks
sales@microsatacables.com

andrewlang

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

This is correct. Another option that I haven't seen available that I am going ahead with is wiring everything correctly such that the adapter can be used with a SATA power supply. These are very common now. SATA power supplies provide the 3.3v and 5.5v so all we needed to do was wire the adapter correctly. This will work with any SATA power supply and will be the most cost effective solution to this problem when it becomes available soon.

Check out our blog about the product and give us some feedback. If you'd like to see a drawing of the product so you can verify the wiring you can visit our eStore, this product will be significantly cheaper than any of the products on ebay and should work for most people that have a relatively recently built computer.

We're also working on a Micro SATA to 15 pin power + 7 pin female cable so that the signal can plug directly to the motherboard of your computer, we expect that to be available around the same time.

Cheers,

Shrike236

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=243

FYI - This is an alternative product for those of us with laptop SSD hard drives that need to convert to standard SATA interface for installation into a laptop.

I have a 64GB Samsung SSD hard drive salvaged from a 5-day old ThinkPad X300 (don't ask!). I spent weeks looking for a solution and Samsung tech support was not exactly expeditious with data, nor did they have an in-house solution for installing this drive into an external case.

Hope this helps.

G

I found this product that was a great option for me and was a great solution to restoring my older laptop. I replaced the 2.5 inch 5V SATA drive with a Micro SATA 3.3V drive using this laptop adapter with build in 3.3V converter that I needed to run the drive.
http://www.microsatacables.com/catalog/i82.html
The other style of SATA to Micro SATA adapters, 2 of which I found do not fit into laptops as they are too thick. This one was a perfect fit.

I hope this helps!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.