Recycle Bin Error-"Cannot delete file; cannot read from th..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HI all,
About a week ago, I started to get this message when emptying the Recycle
Bin--"Cannot delete file; cannot read from the source file or disk". I seem
to have 2 unknown items in the bin that I cannot remove. I have no real
idea what items they are as they do not show in the recycle bin. I have
added test items to the bin and if there are 3 new items, I am asked if I
want to delete the 5 items, I choose "yes" and then get the message above.
I have googled and tried many of the suggestions but still no luck. I am
using XP. Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Faith

Open a command prompt window. Run chkdsk C: /f - if your operating system
in located on drive C: You will have to reboot for this to run. Then try to
empty the recycle bin again.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message
> HI all,
> About a week ago, I started to get this message when emptying the Recycle
> Bin--"Cannot delete file; cannot read from the source file or disk". I
> seem to have 2 unknown items in the bin that I cannot remove. I have no
> real idea what items they are as they do not show in the recycle bin. I
> have added test items to the bin and if there are 3 new items, I am asked
> if I want to delete the 5 items, I choose "yes" and then get the message
> above. I have googled and tried many of the suggestions but still no luck.
> I am using XP. Any suggestions?
> Many thanks,
> Faith

How do I delete an "undeletable" file?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tip­s/xp_undeletable_file.htm

Run chkdsk to check bad sectors as well.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Faith Risa wrote:

> HI all,
> About a week ago, I started to get this message when emptying the Recycle
> Bin--"Cannot delete file; cannot read from the source file or disk". I seem
> to have 2 unknown items in the bin that I cannot remove. I have no real
> idea what items they are as they do not show in the recycle bin. I have
> added test items to the bin and if there are 3 new items, I am asked if I
> want to delete the 5 items, I choose "yes" and then get the message above.
> I have googled and tried many of the suggestions but still no luck. I am
> using XP. Any suggestions?
> Many thanks,
> Faith

Thank you for the messages. I've tried the chkdsk suggestion twice with no
luck. I cannot seem to do the other suggestion as I do not know the names
of the files which are in the recycle bin. The bin shows zero files but
when I add new "trash", it shows 2 items more than what is really in there.
Now what? All ideas welcome.
Thanks again,
Faith

> Thank you for the messages. I've tried the chkdsk suggestion twice with
> no luck. I cannot seem to do the other suggestion as I do not know the
> names of the files which are in the recycle bin. The bin shows zero files
> but when I add new "trash", it shows 2 items more than what is really in
> there. Now what? All ideas welcome.
> Thanks again,
> Faith

Any other suggestions?

> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
>> How do I delete an "undeletable" file?
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tip­s/xp_undeletable_file.htm
>>
>> Run chkdsk to check bad sectors as well.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>

>> Faith Risa wrote:
>>
>>> HI all,
>>> About a week ago, I started to get this message when emptying the
>>> Recycle Bin--"Cannot delete file; cannot read from the source file or
>>> disk". I seem to have 2 unknown items in the bin that I cannot remove.
>>> I have no real idea what items they are as they do not show in the
>>> recycle bin. I have added test items to the bin and if there are 3 new
>>> items, I am asked if I want to delete the 5 items, I choose "yes" and
>>> then get the message above. I have googled and tried many of the
>>> suggestions but still no luck. I am using XP. Any suggestions?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Faith

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Faith Risa wrote:

> "Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Thank you for the messages. I've tried the chkdsk suggestion twice with
>>no luck. I cannot seem to do the other suggestion as I do not know the
>>names of the files which are in the recycle bin. The bin shows zero files
>>but when I add new "trash", it shows 2 items more than what is really in
>>there. Now what? All ideas welcome.
>>Thanks again,
>>Faith

Go to Kelly's site, http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm, click on
"R", then scroll down to recycle bin for some troubleshooting tips.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

>Faith Risa wrote:
>
>> "Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thank you for the messages. I've tried the chkdsk suggestion twice
>>>with no luck. I cannot seem to do the other suggestion as I do not
>>>know the names of the files which are in the recycle bin. The bin
>>>shows zero files but when I add new "trash", it shows 2 items more
>>>than what is really in there. Now what? All ideas welcome.
>>>Thanks again,
>>>Faith

Faith, you could try this to see if you can see the names of the mystery
files in a Dos box (the bits in brackets just explain what you should
see). Don't be put off by the length of this, it's really easy to do.

Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Box opens)

Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)

Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)

You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is
2 dots, and one is a very long number, probably starting S-1-5-21. I'm
not sure if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to
look at your own one.

Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
(directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)

Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)

Files in the bin have their names changed and they normally look
something like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file I deleted.
But if there are any corrupted files they may look different from that.

If you can see them, try deleting them from there:

Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>

The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.

If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hope this helps some.

(P.S. In trying this out I just emptied my bin in Dos but when I came
back to Windows the bin icon was still showing full and didn't change
even with F5 refresh. I fixed it by putting a test file in the bin and
then emptying it. Now icon is correct again :)

--
Nightowl

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>>Faith Risa wrote:
>>
>>> "Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message

> Faith, you could try this to see if you can see the names of the mystery
> files in a Dos box (the bits in brackets just explain what you should
> see). Don't be put off by the length of this, it's really easy to do.
>
> Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Box opens)
>
> Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)
>
> Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)
>
> You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is 2
> dots, and one is a very long number, probably starting S-1-5-21. I'm not
> sure if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to look at
> your own one.
>
> Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
> (directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)
>
> Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)
>
> Files in the bin have their names changed and they normally look something
> like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file I deleted. But if there
> are any corrupted files they may look different from that.
>
> If you can see them, try deleting them from there:
>
> Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
> If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>
>
> The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.
>
> If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
> again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hope this helps some.
>
> (P.S. In trying this out I just emptied my bin in Dos but when I came back
> to Windows the bin icon was still showing full and didn't change even with
> F5 refresh. I fixed it by putting a test file in the bin and then emptying
> it. Now icon is correct again :)
>
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl,
You rock--your directions were EXCELLENT. I quickly located two very long
items in the recycler directory. I was not successful using the del *.*
instructions so I used the help file and wound up using "rmdir" -- I learned
that I needed to delete the newest file and then the initial file. It took
a while but I am so pleased to see the recycle bin is finally empty. Your
instructions were by far the best. Thanks again for your assistance and
your response! Have a great day!
Faith

Nice bit of help. Congrats!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>>Faith Risa wrote:
>>
>>> "Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message

> Faith, you could try this to see if you can see the names of the mystery
> files in a Dos box (the bits in brackets just explain what you should
> see). Don't be put off by the length of this, it's really easy to do.
>
> Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Box opens)
>
> Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)
>
> Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)
>
> You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is 2
> dots, and one is a very long number, probably starting S-1-5-21. I'm not
> sure if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to look at
> your own one.
>
> Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
> (directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)
>
> Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)
>
> Files in the bin have their names changed and they normally look something
> like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file I deleted. But if there
> are any corrupted files they may look different from that.
>
> If you can see them, try deleting them from there:
>
> Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
> If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>
>
> The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.
>
> If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
> again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hope this helps some.
>
> (P.S. In trying this out I just emptied my bin in Dos but when I came back
> to Windows the bin icon was still showing full and didn't change even with
> F5 refresh. I fixed it by putting a test file in the bin and then emptying
> it. Now icon is correct again :)
>
> --
> Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Faith Risa wrote on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

>Nightowl,
>You rock--your directions were EXCELLENT. I quickly located two very long
>items in the recycler directory. I was not successful using the del *.*
>instructions so I used the help file and wound up using "rmdir" -- I learned
>that I needed to delete the newest file and then the initial file. It took
>a while but I am so pleased to see the recycle bin is finally empty. Your
>instructions were by far the best. Thanks again for your assistance and
>your response! Have a great day!

Hey, Faith, you made my day!

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm so glad you managed to nuke those
pesky files at last.

Happy bin-emptying :)

--
Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Richard Urban wrote on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

>Nice bit of help. Congrats!
>
>--
>Regards,
>
>Richard Urban

How nice of you, Richard -- thank you very much. I have to admit I'm
thrilled when something works :)

Best wishes to you,

--
Nightowl

xenophile

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Hey!!! I have been struggling for weeks trying to fix a corrupt Recycle Bin
that appeared after a disk restore and your recipe finally did the trick.
Thanks a lot Nightowl!!!

Zenon

"Nightowl" wrote:

> >Faith Risa wrote:
> >
> >> "Faith Risa" <faith@zendog.nospam.net> wrote in message

> Faith, you could try this to see if you can see the names of the mystery
> files in a Dos box (the bits in brackets just explain what you should
> see). Don't be put off by the length of this, it's really easy to do.
>
> Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Box opens)
>
> Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)
>
> Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)
>
> You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is
> 2 dots, and one is a very long number, probably starting S-1-5-21. I'm
> not sure if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to
> look at your own one.
>
> Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
> (directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)
>
> Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)
>
> Files in the bin have their names changed and they normally look
> something like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file I deleted.
> But if there are any corrupted files they may look different from that.
>
> If you can see them, try deleting them from there:
>
> Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
> If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>
>
> The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.
>
> If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
> again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hope this helps some.
>
> (P.S. In trying this out I just emptied my bin in Dos but when I came
> back to Windows the bin icon was still showing full and didn't change
> even with F5 refresh. I fixed it by putting a test file in the bin and
> then emptying it. Now icon is correct again :)
>
> --
> Nightowl

xenophile

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Your recipe did fix the recycle bin for the administrative (power) user, but
it remains for the Limited User. In fact when I delete a file on the limited
user account it does not even ask if it is okay to move it to the recycle
bin, it only asks if it is okay to delete it (and the empty bin option is
grayed out). The "delete without moving to the recycle bin" option is NOT
selected. When I first switch to the limited user account it tells me the
recycle bin is corrupted. The trick of finding recycled and deleting its
contents does not work as no recycled folder appears in the cmd window.

"Xenophile" wrote:

> Hey!!! I have been struggling for weeks trying to fix a corrupt Recycle Bin
> that appeared after a disk restore and your recipe finally did the trick.
> Thanks a lot Nightowl!!!
>
> Zenon

> > Faith, you could try this to see if you can see the names of the mystery
> > files in a Dos box (the bits in brackets just explain what you should
> > see). Don't be put off by the length of this, it's really easy to do.
> >
> > Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Box opens)
> >
> > Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)
> >
> > Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)
> >
> > You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is
> > 2 dots, and one is a very long number, probably starting S-1-5-21. I'm
> > not sure if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to
> > look at your own one.
> >
> > Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
> > (directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)
> >
> > Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)
> >
> > Files in the bin have their names changed and they normally look
> > something like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file I deleted.
> > But if there are any corrupted files they may look different from that.
> >
> > If you can see them, try deleting them from there:
> >
> > Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
> > If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>
> >
> > The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.
> >
> > If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
> > again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Hope this helps some.
> >
> > (P.S. In trying this out I just emptied my bin in Dos but when I came
> > back to Windows the bin icon was still showing full and didn't change
> > even with F5 refresh. I fixed it by putting a test file in the bin and
> > then emptying it. Now icon is correct again :)
> >
> > --
> > Nightowl

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Xenophile wrote on Sat, 13 Aug 2005:

>Your recipe did fix the recycle bin for the administrative (power) user, but
>it remains for the Limited User. In fact when I delete a file on the limited
>user account it does not even ask if it is okay to move it to the recycle
>bin, it only asks if it is okay to delete it (and the empty bin option is
>grayed out). The "delete without moving to the recycle bin" option is NOT
>selected. When I first switch to the limited user account it tells me the
>recycle bin is corrupted. The trick of finding recycled and deleting its
>contents does not work as no recycled folder appears in the cmd window.
>
>"Xenophile" wrote:
>
>> Hey!!! I have been struggling for weeks trying to fix a corrupt Recycle Bin
>> that appeared after a disk restore and your recipe finally did the trick.
>> Thanks a lot Nightowl!!!

Hi Zenon

I'm glad to hear it worked for one, and sorry it didn't for the other
:-(

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "no Recycler folder appears in
the cmd window" -- do you mean there doesn't seem to be a folder called
Recycler, or that there is one but it doesn't seem to have any contents?

In the meantime you could try this to attempt to get rid of the
corrupted folder (Windows should recreate it when you reboot):

Open a Command window.
Type cd \ <enter> (Folder changes to C:\)
Type rd /s /q recycler <enter>
Type exit <enter> and reboot.

Good luck -- let us know how you get on.

--
Nightowl

xenophile

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

I never tried to delete the recycler foloder, just empty it. When I said I
could not find it that was because I had not used the /ah switch at first
(nor the del <filename> /ah delete switch). But anyway that didn't work.
What did work finally was the kelly register tweak (line 64) so it is now
fixed, thanks.

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Xenophile wrote on Sat, 13 Aug 2005:
>
> >Your recipe did fix the recycle bin for the administrative (power) user, but
> >it remains for the Limited User. In fact when I delete a file on the limited
> >user account it does not even ask if it is okay to move it to the recycle
> >bin, it only asks if it is okay to delete it (and the empty bin option is
> >grayed out). The "delete without moving to the recycle bin" option is NOT
> >selected. When I first switch to the limited user account it tells me the
> >recycle bin is corrupted. The trick of finding recycled and deleting its
> >contents does not work as no recycled folder appears in the cmd window.
> >
> >"Xenophile" wrote:
> >
> >> Hey!!! I have been struggling for weeks trying to fix a corrupt Recycle Bin
> >> that appeared after a disk restore and your recipe finally did the trick.
> >> Thanks a lot Nightowl!!!
>

> Hi Zenon
>
> I'm glad to hear it worked for one, and sorry it didn't for the other
> :-(
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "no Recycler folder appears in
> the cmd window" -- do you mean there doesn't seem to be a folder called
> Recycler, or that there is one but it doesn't seem to have any contents?
>
> In the meantime you could try this to attempt to get rid of the
> corrupted folder (Windows should recreate it when you reboot):
>
> Open a Command window.
> Type cd \ <enter> (Folder changes to C:\)
> Type rd /s /q recycler <enter>
> Type exit <enter> and reboot.
>
> Good luck -- let us know how you get on.
>
> --
> Nightowl

kelly

Great, glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback. :eek:)

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Xenophile" <Xenophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I never tried to delete the recycler foloder, just empty it. When I said I
> could not find it that was because I had not used the /ah switch at first
> (nor the del <filename> /ah delete switch). But anyway that didn't work.
> What did work finally was the kelly register tweak (line 64) so it is now
> fixed, thanks.
>
> "Nightowl" wrote:
>
>> Xenophile wrote on Sat, 13 Aug 2005:
>>
>> >Your recipe did fix the recycle bin for the administrative (power) user,
>> >but
>> >it remains for the Limited User. In fact when I delete a file on the
>> >limited
>> >user account it does not even ask if it is okay to move it to the
>> >recycle
>> >bin, it only asks if it is okay to delete it (and the empty bin option
>> >is
>> >grayed out). The "delete without moving to the recycle bin" option is
>> >NOT
>> >selected. When I first switch to the limited user account it tells me
>> >the
>> >recycle bin is corrupted. The trick of finding recycled and deleting
>> >its
>> >contents does not work as no recycled folder appears in the cmd window.

>> Hi Zenon
>>
>> I'm glad to hear it worked for one, and sorry it didn't for the other
>> :-(
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean when you say "no Recycler folder appears in
>> the cmd window" -- do you mean there doesn't seem to be a folder called
>> Recycler, or that there is one but it doesn't seem to have any contents?
>>
>> In the meantime you could try this to attempt to get rid of the
>> corrupted folder (Windows should recreate it when you reboot):
>>
>> Open a Command window.
>> Type cd \ <enter> (Folder changes to C:\)
>> Type rd /s /q recycler <enter>
>> Type exit <enter> and reboot.
>>
>> Good luck -- let us know how you get on.
>>
>> --
>> Nightowl

neoninjax

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I was reading over the previous threads and it sounds exactly like my frustration; a file and folder that won't delete. Both are empty and both remain on my desktop.

Attempting to delete the file results in a message that reads "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

Meanwhile, I can delete the folder, but it every time I think it's gone it re-appears on my desktop again.

It's not like they are harming my computer in anyway, of course, it's frustrating and the re-appearing folder is heaps bizarre.

Can I apply this to the desktop in lieu of the recycling bin? And how?

Thank you for any help.

-Desperately Seeking Solution (ha)

s6chap1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I too had exactly the same issues with my Recycle Bin. My issue was a film I tried to download, probably something wrong with it. It also stopped me from writing files when creating a new cd.

The simple solution that worked for me was to go in to Safe Mode by pressing F8 as you are all aware.

I deleted the file from my Recycle Bin and was also able to delete it from the writing files play list where it appeared to be stuck and prevented me from creating new cd's.

Hope this works for any who try it.

Joe Burge - Onetimefixuk.co.uk