Upgrading RAM

anomaly8

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I am upgrading my RAM and I want 1 gig...I am currently looking at these two

Geil x2 www.newegg.com/app/ViewPr...305&depa=1

Or Corsair dual channel kit
www.newegg.com/app/ViewPr...480&depa=1

Would I notice a diff in speed with the dual channgel? Or would it be better to overclock with the cas latency 2.5 ~ on the Geil? Plus would two sticks of the Geil ram work as a dual channel? Or do they have to be specified as a dual channel like the corsair?

BTW I have a Dell 4600 P4 2.6 :( I know I know dell sucks but the comp was free from my gram ~ So oh well...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by anomaly8 on 05/23/04 00:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
First off, make sure your mobo supports dual channel, which you could find from Dell's site. Second, if you can run dual channel, its almost always a good idea to do it, especially on a pentium system. Third, a "dual channel kit" just means the ram has been tested to work in a dual channel board. Your Geil MIGHT work in the board, but the Corsair probably stands a better chance. If you can't run dual channel, then paying for the dual channel kit isn't worth it, you can buy 2 sticks same size as the kit for cheaper.

"The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it" - Oscar Wilde

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
The Dimension 4600 does work in dual channel mode and it would be best to buy 2 modules. Correct me if I am wrong but if you have a Dell, HP, Compaq or any major manufactured computer they lock down the BIOS so overclocking can not be done. So getting memory to overclock is a mute point. Just get some good solid memory for your system and be happy the computer was free.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CrucialLabs on 05/25/04 08:39 AM.</EM></FONT></P>