Computer Won't Start Up.

Hi,
Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives me a
number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally" and a time
limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something, whether it be safe
mode or to start windows normally, my computer decides to just restart and
the whole process repeats over and over again. Does anyone know what the
problem is? I've tried connecting and reconnecting the computer, checking for
loose wires and even keeping the computer off for a couple of days, nothing
seems to work. Thank you very much!
P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could message
me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my normal e-mail,
yumnaaa@gmail.com.
Thanks so much!
-Yumna
24 answers Last reply
More about computer start

    Oh, boy. Sounds exactly what I went through a couple of months ago. I could
    not get my computer to start at all... it just kept rebooting and rebooting.
    I took it to a local guru/shop, and they were able to rescued all my files,
    then they reinstalled Windows. I had to reload all my programs and get all
    the updates from Microsoft all over again, but I had my files that were saved
    by the shop to CDs, so I was able to load all the old e-mails, documents,
    etc. Not fun.

    Jim

    "Yumna" wrote:

    Oh my gosh, that sounds like SUCH a pain! Was everything saved on your
    computer like music files and pictures etc? That's the only reason I really
    want to save that computer, it has my whole life on it!

    "Yumna" <Yumna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives me a
    > number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally" and a time
    > limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something, whether it be
    > safe
    > mode or to start windows normally, my computer decides to just restart and
    > the whole process repeats over and over again. Does anyone know what the
    > problem is? I've tried connecting and reconnecting the computer, checking
    > for
    > loose wires and even keeping the computer off for a couple of days,
    > nothing
    > seems to work. Thank you very much!
    > P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could message
    > me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my normal
    > e-mail,
    > yumnaaa@gmail.com.
    > Thanks so much!
    > -Yumna

    After reading all the answers so far and your responses I suggest you take
    the computer to a shop. You need to have a Windows Install CD, boot from the
    CD to the recovery console and run chkdsk. This may fix the problem. If not
    then Galen's suggestion of installing the hard drive in another computer and
    backing up the files is the way to go. No offense intended but from your
    answers so far it sounds like this may be beyond your capabilities. You may
    end up causing more problems that will be even more expensive to repair.

    Kerry

    Is it possible to just borrow a friend's Windows CD? If so, once I have it,
    what do I do?
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    "Yumna" <yumnaaa@gmail.com(i''llkillyouifyouspam)> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to just borrow a friend's Windows CD? If so, once I have
    > it,
    > what do I do?
    > --
    > www.myspace.com/yumna
    >

    >> After reading all the answers so far and your responses I suggest you
    >> take
    >> the computer to a shop. You need to have a Windows Install CD, boot from
    >> the
    >> CD to the recovery console and run chkdsk. This may fix the problem. If
    >> not
    >> then Galen's suggestion of installing the hard drive in another computer
    >> and
    >> backing up the files is the way to go. No offense intended but from your
    >> answers so far it sounds like this may be beyond your capabilities. You
    >> may
    >> end up causing more problems that will be even more expensive to repair.
    >>
    >> Kerry

    On a computer with XP installed click on Start, click on Help and Support,
    type in Recovery Console and click on the green arrow, click on Recovery
    console overview and read the instructions for using the recovery console.

    Kerry

    In news:8AB626E1-3197-4D23-8357-BA16A28A842B@microsoft.com,
    Yumna <Yumna@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi,
    > Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives
    > me a number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally"
    > and a time limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something,
    > whether it be safe mode or to start windows normally, my computer
    > decides to just restart and the whole process repeats over and over
    > again. Does anyone know what the problem is? I've tried connecting
    > and reconnecting the computer, checking for loose wires and even
    > keeping the computer off for a couple of days, nothing seems to work.
    > Thank you very much!
    > P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could
    > message me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my
    > normal e-mail, yumnaaa@gmail.com.
    > Thanks so much!
    > -Yumna

    If you can't get into the OS this is the best solution really:

    How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Hi Galen,
    1-I do not have a Windows XP CD-rom.
    2-I cannot risk losing any files from my computer, as I (sadly) do not have
    any backup disks.
    =[

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:8AB626E1-3197-4D23-8357-BA16A28A842B@microsoft.com,
    > Yumna <Yumna@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Hi,
    > > Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives
    > > me a number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally"
    > > and a time limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something,
    > > whether it be safe mode or to start windows normally, my computer
    > > decides to just restart and the whole process repeats over and over
    > > again. Does anyone know what the problem is? I've tried connecting
    > > and reconnecting the computer, checking for loose wires and even
    > > keeping the computer off for a couple of days, nothing seems to work.
    > > Thank you very much!
    > > P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could
    > > message me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my
    > > normal e-mail, yumnaaa@gmail.com.
    > > Thanks so much!
    > > -Yumna
    >
    > If you can't get into the OS this is the best solution really:
    >
    > How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

    Yumna, "Let this be a lesson..." I hate to hear those words, but there they
    are. DO make backups on a regular basis. As you say, a lot of us have our
    entire lives on our hard drives. I'm sure your files can be rescued by a
    geek shop. It cost me $150 to have my data backed up directly from the hard
    drive to CDs, and then to have the outfit reinstall Windows. It was up to me
    then to reinstall all my programs, the Microsoft updates and my data files.

    All this machinery is subject to failure, as we ourselves are if we step in
    front of a bus. Bite the bullet and get that info saved, then do backups
    every so often. Hey, I'm going to do one right now!

    Good luck
    Jim

    In news:E6EC4850-25AB-4A12-BFB3-DC9C48FD9995@microsoft.com,
    Yumna <Yumna@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi Galen,
    > 1-I do not have a Windows XP CD-rom.
    > 2-I cannot risk losing any files from my computer, as I (sadly) do
    > not have any backup disks.
    > =[

    You will need to re-install perhaps. Really likely and unfortunately you'll
    probably be forced to do so via the hidden partition? Your OEM must provide
    a way for you to re-install the OS. In the mean time grab your harddrive,
    take it out, go to a friends PC, and burn your important data to disk after
    you've slaved it to their system.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Wow, I feel really dumb saying this, but none of that made any sense to me.
    Could you possibly say that all again in...English maybe?

    Yumna wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives me a
    > number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally" and a time
    > limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something, whether it be safe
    > mode or to start windows normally, my computer decides to just restart and
    > the whole process repeats over and over again. Does anyone know what the
    > problem is? I've tried connecting and reconnecting the computer, checking for
    > loose wires and even keeping the computer off for a couple of days, nothing
    > seems to work. Thank you very much!
    > P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could message
    > me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my normal e-mail,
    > yumnaaa@gmail.com.
    > Thanks so much!
    > -Yumna

    Select 'Safe Mode' on the option list. That will enable you to boot up
    into Windows at a mimimal level. If you can get into it then, you can
    back up your music files and other data to CD.

    I have tried to do so, it just restarts again and again, I can't even get to
    the log in screen!

    In news:1D213073-0E90-433E-A5F0-42C6ED6DB4CF@microsoft.com,
    Yumna <Yumna@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Wow, I feel really dumb saying this, but none of that made any sense
    > to me. Could you possibly say that all again in...English maybe?

    Hmm... Okay :)

    You will probably have to get a copy of XP and re-install it.

    You can take your drive out, bring it to a friends, and use their computer
    to access your data or you can use another computer. You just put the
    harddrive on the same ribbon cable and set it's jumpers to primary slave.

    I'm not entirely certain but you can probably legally get a copy of a
    friends XP CD and use that for your repair installation. You might wish to
    check with someone who's smarter than I on the whole legalicy subject. If
    not then your OEM (the person you got the computer from) has to have
    provided a means for you to re-install the OS. If a friend sold it to you
    with XP installed then they're even really required to have given you their
    copy (and destroy any backups) of their installation media.

    Depending on your computer you may have an option (perhaps F10 during
    boot???) to do a non-destructive recovery/repair from a hidden partition on
    your computer's harddrive. I have no idea but it's something you can check
    into.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Yumna wrote:

    > I have tried to do so, it just restarts again and again, I can't even get to
    > the log in screen!
    >
    > "ClippertyClop" wrote:
    >

    >>Yumna wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>Whenever I turn on my computer, it takes me to a screen which gives me a
    >>>number of options like "safe mode" and "start windows normally" and a time
    >>>limit of about 27-30 seconds. Whenever I choose something, whether it be safe
    >>>mode or to start windows normally, my computer decides to just restart and
    >>>the whole process repeats over and over again. Does anyone know what the
    >>>problem is? I've tried connecting and reconnecting the computer, checking for
    >>>loose wires and even keeping the computer off for a couple of days, nothing
    >>>seems to work. Thank you very much!
    >>>P.S-If you would like to contact me through a messenger, you could message
    >>>me at either yummy8808@hotmail.com(MSN) or yummmna(AIM) or my normal e-mail,
    >>>yumnaaa@gmail.com.
    >>>Thanks so much!
    >>>-Yumna
    >>

    >>Select 'Safe Mode' on the option list. That will enable you to boot up
    >>into Windows at a mimimal level. If you can get into it then, you can
    >>back up your music files and other data to CD.

    I'm a bit unclear as to what stage your PC reboots. Earlier you said you
    managed to reach the stage where you had the option screen. When you get
    there does the system stabilise or are you saying it reboots only once
    you tried for 'Safe Mode'?

    It always reboots, whether i choose 'Safe Mode' or to start normally,
    sometimes it reboots before I even choose.
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    Yumna wrote:

    > It always reboots, whether i choose 'Safe Mode' or to start normally,
    > sometimes it reboots before I even choose.

    OK. It sound suspiciously like a hardware issue. Does your computer make
    a single beep just before the option screen comes up? Are you saying
    that the PC reboots even before the option screen comes up?

    Why don't you have your own Windows CD? Windows XP disks have to be
    individually registered with Microsoft within 28 days of first
    installing. If not Windoes XP won't work after that. That means someone
    elses Windows XP disk won't work with your machine if it has already
    been registered to work on another. This was introduced as an
    anti-piracy measure by MS. All PCs are sold either with the system disk
    or a recovery disk, which are only supposed to work on your machine.
    What make is your PC?

    My father's friend made the computer for us and Windows was already installed
    on it and everything, he never gave us any disks with the computer.
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    "ClippertyClop" wrote:

    > Yumna wrote:
    >
    > > It always reboots, whether i choose 'Safe Mode' or to start normally,
    > > sometimes it reboots before I even choose.
    > >
    > OK. It sound suspiciously like a hardware issue. Does your computer make
    > a single beep just before the option screen comes up? Are you saying
    > that the PC reboots even before the option screen comes up?
    >
    > Why don't you have your own Windows CD? Windows XP disks have to be
    > individually registered with Microsoft within 28 days of first
    > installing. If not Windoes XP won't work after that. That means someone
    > elses Windows XP disk won't work with your machine if it has already
    > been registered to work on another. This was introduced as an
    > anti-piracy measure by MS. All PCs are sold either with the system disk
    > or a recovery disk, which are only supposed to work on your machine.
    > What make is your PC?

    I actually JUST asked my father to make sure and we found the CD that he used
    to install XP onto the computer with. I haven't yet tried using it on my
    computer but I tried putting it into my laptop that I'm using right now and
    the first option with the disk is to install windows XP. there's also an
    option for transferring files, does that have anything to do with backing up
    everything that's on my file because i would like to do that before i tried
    reinstalling XP!!!
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    Yumna wrote:

    > I actually JUST asked my father to make sure and we found the CD that he used
    > to install XP onto the computer with. I haven't yet tried using it on my
    > computer but I tried putting it into my laptop that I'm using right now and
    > the first option with the disk is to install windows XP. there's also an
    > option for transferring files, does that have anything to do with backing up
    > everything that's on my file because i would like to do that before i tried
    > reinstalling XP!!!

    No. That means copying system files from the Windows XP disk onto your
    own hard disk. Does your computer emit a single beep as it boots up? As
    you have the original CD it will now be possible to do a
    re-installation. Before you do that, you need to determine whether you
    can boot from your CD drive. This is where things get a little tricky.
    You need to go into your CMOS settings. To do that boot up your
    computer. Before the computer beeps keep tapping the delete key. That
    should take you into the CMOS screen. Before doing anything else try
    that out to see if it works. Don't change anything yet. If you can do
    this let us know.

    OKOKOKOK I can get to that place, but now what? Do you have MSN or AIM to
    make this process a wee bit easier?? If not, that's ok but just let me know
    what to do!
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    "ClippertyClop" wrote:

    > Yumna wrote:
    >
    > > I actually JUST asked my father to make sure and we found the CD that he used
    > > to install XP onto the computer with. I haven't yet tried using it on my
    > > computer but I tried putting it into my laptop that I'm using right now and
    > > the first option with the disk is to install windows XP. there's also an
    > > option for transferring files, does that have anything to do with backing up
    > > everything that's on my file because i would like to do that before i tried
    > > reinstalling XP!!!
    > >
    > No. That means copying system files from the Windows XP disk onto your
    > own hard disk. Does your computer emit a single beep as it boots up? As
    > you have the original CD it will now be possible to do a
    > re-installation. Before you do that, you need to determine whether you
    > can boot from your CD drive. This is where things get a little tricky.
    > You need to go into your CMOS settings. To do that boot up your
    > computer. Before the computer beeps keep tapping the delete key. That
    > should take you into the CMOS screen. Before doing anything else try
    > that out to see if it works. Don't change anything yet. If you can do
    > this let us know.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yumna wrote:
    > OKOKOKOK I can get to that place, but now what? Do you have MSN or AIM to
    > make this process a wee bit easier?? If not, that's ok but just let me know
    > what to do!

    Have neither. The purpose of this procedure is to enable you to boot
    from the Windows XP disk. That does will NOT MEAN booting you back into
    XP automatically. This is only for re-installation purposes or for
    repairing your Windows XP files, which is the next stage after CMOS.

    You need to go back into CMOS. Once in there you have to use your
    keyboard. Bearing in mind that CMOS screens vary somewhat according to
    the type of BIOS you have, you need to look for menu option 'Advance
    settings' or similar. Under that is a list of options. You should see 3
    0r 4 options relating to boot order. eg 1st boot, 2nd boot etc. You need
    to go to 1st boot (use arrow keys). If not already the case change it
    from IDE 0 to CDROM. You may have to use Page up or Page Down key
    depending on the BIOS, to select the option. When you've done that go to
    2nd boot and change that to IDE 0. Don't change anything else. Once
    you've done that hit the ESC, then F10 key (I think) to save changes
    (follow the instructions on screen to save CMOS settings.)

    You now need to place the Windows XP disk in the CD Drive. If successful
    as the computer boots up, it at the bottom of the screen after the beep,
    for a few seconds you will be asked if you wish to boot from your CDRom.
    you should select 'yes'. If you don't, then PC will then look to 2nd
    boot and try to boot up from your HDD as before. Yor PC should now boot
    from the system disk, hopefully without a problem.

    See how you get on.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    All disks of a certain type work with all keys of that type. If it's XP retail then any XP retail disk will work with their key. It's the key, not the disk, that is activated.

    "ClippertyClop" <clipperty@clop.co.uk> wrote in message news:42BF3F8D.9020306@clop.co.uk...

    > Yumna wrote:
    >
    >> It always reboots, whether i choose 'Safe Mode' or to start normally,
    >> sometimes it reboots before I even choose.
    > >
    > OK. It sound suspiciously like a hardware issue. Does your computer make
    > a single beep just before the option screen comes up? Are you saying
    > that the PC reboots even before the option screen comes up?
    >
    > Why don't you have your own Windows CD? Windows XP disks have to be
    > individually registered with Microsoft within 28 days of first
    > installing. If not Windoes XP won't work after that. That means someone
    > elses Windows XP disk won't work with your machine if it has already
    > been registered to work on another. This was introduced as an
    > anti-piracy measure by MS. All PCs are sold either with the system disk
    > or a recovery disk, which are only supposed to work on your machine.
    > What make is your PC?

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I have the disk, but if I can't even get to the log in screen without the
    whole thing rebooting then how am I supposed to get the disk to do anything??
    I've put the disk in multiple times and it's not doing anything! I'd really
    appreciate someone helping me through a messenger so I know what to do asap!
    --
    www.myspace.com/yumna

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > All disks of a certain type work with all keys of that type. If it's XP retail then any XP retail disk will work with their key. It's the key, not the disk, that is activated.

    > "ClippertyClop" <clipperty@clop.co.uk> wrote in message news:42BF3F8D.9020306@clop.co.uk...
    > >

    > > Yumna wrote:
    > >
    > >> It always reboots, whether i choose 'Safe Mode' or to start normally,
    > >> sometimes it reboots before I even choose.
    > > >
    > > OK. It sound suspiciously like a hardware issue. Does your computer make
    > > a single beep just before the option screen comes up? Are you saying
    > > that the PC reboots even before the option screen comes up?
    > >
    > > Why don't you have your own Windows CD? Windows XP disks have to be
    > > individually registered with Microsoft within 28 days of first
    > > installing. If not Windoes XP won't work after that. That means someone
    > > elses Windows XP disk won't work with your machine if it has already
    > > been registered to work on another. This was introduced as an
    > > anti-piracy measure by MS. All PCs are sold either with the system disk
    > > or a recovery disk, which are only supposed to work on your machine.
    > > What make is your PC?

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Yumna wrote:
    > I have the disk, but if I can't even get to the log in screen without the
    > whole thing rebooting then how am I supposed to get the disk to do anything??
    > I've put the disk in multiple times and it's not doing anything! I'd really
    > appreciate someone helping me through a messenger so I know what to do asap!

    Have you done the alterations to the boot sequence in CMOS as instructed
    yet? If not then your PC will still try to boot off your hard disk which
    is not what you are supposed to be doing.

Safe Mode Computers Microsoft Windows XP