_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Ok...I got my hands on a multifunction panel which has two USB ports. The wiring for them is in marked single leads for connecting to the USB header on my mobo. However, I am already using this header for an 8 in 1 memory card reader.

What I'm thinking of doing is cutting a couple of USB cords and splicing them onto the two USB harnesses from the front panel, routing them through the back of the case and connecting them to a couple of USB ports on the rear I/O panel.

My question is this; could I use phone wire "splice connectors" to make this splice? These are the kind that are self-piercing, clear plastic with the red colored button you depress to make the splice.

....WW (5.0)

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
splices are messy, can you just solder the wires onto the front panel connector? if its a standard pin connection you should be able to grab an apropriate size connector from somewhere and attach the loose wires that way.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Well...inside the panel everything comes together into one big plug; Ear Phones, Mic, Firewire, and the two USB, and this plug appears to be glued in place!
I guess it might be possible to pull the USB harnesses loose from the plug and try to insert the wires from a cut USB cable. Do I need any kind of special tool for this? Whats the best way to break the bond of the glue so I can pull the plug and work on it?

Maybe I should take it to a shop and have them do it?

....WW (5.0)