Hard Truths from my First Non-Blitz Game

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

1. Dont trust anyone you dont know, even if they "seem" nice. (as with
life in general, this rule applies here too)
2. Keep a computer logged in to the server at all times. Keep a laptop by
the bed while you sleep with the sound turned up. You might have enough
resources to fend off an attack, and the odds of doing so go up if you can
actively defend your country. If you cant be logged in all the time, make
sure you are logged in just before/after each update.

Allan Anderson <all5n@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. Dont trust anyone you dont know, even if they "seem" nice. (as with
> life in general, this rule applies here too)

I learned this the hard way too. Most people are trustable though.

> 2. Keep a computer logged in to the server at all times. Keep a laptop by
> the bed while you sleep with the sound turned up. You might have enough
> resources to fend off an attack, and the odds of doing so go up if you can
> actively defend your country. If you cant be logged in all the time, make
> sure you are logged in just before/after each update.

Make sure that you are logged in around 3 AM (localtime) and 3 AM (server
time, or whatever timezone that people think that you are in)

Have friend who also play in that game and who phone you up when you are
under attack.

Show that you are logged in. Escher demonstrated this quite nicely. Whenever
country A telegrammed country B then within a few minutes a telegram would
be send from Esher to country B. Intimidation factor++

Mines. Lots of mines. A cargo ship if fast can can carry enough shells.
Add a sub (below the cargo ship) and lay a few more minefields.
Just beware that you can not enter the mined sectors to add more mines,
unless you are willing to risk hitting them. If you can predict where the
atack comes from then a nice 3 sector wide 50 mines/sector cancels most
ships.

Mines-The land mine type. You know, on coastal sectors, harbors, airfields.
All those places that an enemy should never take intact.

Last but not least, if you are weak, then appear strong.
This may sound like nonsens, but it has worked often enough for me.
(even though 100 10% elcheapo planes did nothing but to consume resources,
they made me seem strong just before I cam under attack...

--
Hennes / Synchron

"Allan Anderson" <all5n@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Dont trust anyone you dont know, even if they "seem" nice. (as with
> life in general, this rule applies here too)
> 2. Keep a computer logged in to the server at all times. Keep a laptop by
> the bed while you sleep with the sound turned up. You might have enough
> resources to fend off an attack, and the odds of doing so go up if you can
> actively defend your country. If you cant be logged in all the time, make
> sure you are logged in just before/after each update.

add to this list:

3) Keep yourself off of the bottom of the power chart. By being at the bottom,
it displays weakness. Especially when you truncate civs.

4) Make EDU on update #3, and TECH on update #4. Not making these shows that
you are unable to manage mobility or planning ahead, and sets you up as an easy
target due to your tech disadvantage.

5) Fight back if you get attacked. If you let them just have their way with you
at the first sign of trouble, then guess who's door they're going to knock on
next game when they are seeking an easy piece of manpussy?

-Bungy

Dummy

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:18:15 +0000 (UTC), Hennes Passmann
<hennes@stack.nl> wrote:

>Show that you are logged in. Escher demonstrated this quite nicely. Whenever
>country A telegrammed country B then within a few minutes a telegram would
>be send from Esher to country B. Intimidation factor++

That wasn't intimidation. That was just me being friendly. ;)

Ken
aka
1/2 of Escher

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Always fight back! Otherwise you will always be known as fodder.

If you are new, fighting back probably won't save you for the current
game, but you can get some satisfaction because it will might
seriously dent the prospects of your invader. Holding him up for 3-4
updates might make all the difference for him, and affect his chances
of winning the game.

It also gets you respect. You will be surprised at how friendly most
empire players are. Even if you are fighting back, most would be happy
to teach you a few things, so that you will be stronger next time.
They will get to know you, and be less likely to treat you as fodder
next time, and that will improve your chances in future games.

Wahbit

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I learned (a while back) that non-blitz games and marriage don't mix.
(No, I don't play long term games, anymore.)

Muz

Muz wrote:
> I learned (a while back) that non-blitz games and marriage don't mix.
> (No, I don't play long term games, anymore.)
>
> Muz

Nah, you just need to adjust your approach. Get your spouse hooked on
a hobby (bought my wife a "learn how to crochet kit") Then go for
Empire :) Not only do I get to play Empire, but I also scored a nifty
warm scarf as a bonus.

Mark

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

She doesn't like the 3am rule or the keep a computer connected by your
bed rule or the be connected just before and after every update rule
They tend to result in someone sleeping on the couch. ahem.

I tried the hobby thing, it works for about a week, and then I start
hearing "We never talk anymore" followed by "does this dress make me
look fat?" and I'm in a world of hurt.
Maybe after some of the kids are out of the house...........

Muz

TRENDING THREADS