installing windows xp

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
suggestions, comments are appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about installing windows

    In news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com,
    mikasa1 <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how
    > difficult it would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want
    > to be
    > capable of using an iPod and other peripherals that are
    > impossible
    > with ME. Any and all suggestions, comments are appreciated.

    It's very easy and shouldn't be any problem. The only things to
    be concerned about is to be sure you have enough RAM and enough
    disk space. I wouldn't want to run Windows XP with less than
    around 256MB, and be sure you have several MB of free disk space.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    There should be no problems whatsoever. Buy the Win XP Update package and let her rip

    --
    Peter

    "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
    > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
    > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
    > suggestions, comments are appreciated.

    Get all your ducks in a row before you start. Hunt down any Windows XP
    drivers you will need for your hardware. These include video, sound, M/B,
    modem, LAN, printer, scanner and similar drivers. You need drivers for
    anything you intend to have connected to, and communicating with, the new
    operating system.

    Save them to a CD for installation after you have successfully installed
    WinXP.

    Good luck!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
    > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
    > an
    > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
    > suggestions, comments are appreciated.

    Dell claims that a Dimension 4100 is suitable to be upgraded to XP:

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/upgrades/en/upgradeos?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    It might be a good idea to install the maximum memory in the machine (512
    MB). XP is supposed to want a practical minimum of 256 MB, but more is
    supposed to be better. (I have never run it in a machine with less than 512
    MB, so I can't say how well it runs with less.)

    If you can manage a 32 MB download, I suggest that you download and run the
    XP Upgrade Advisor:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    I doubt that you'll learn anything interesting from it, but it may flag some
    drivers that are not included with XP (that you'll have to download
    separately).

    Also, download (support.dell.com) XP drivers for your system and
    peripherals. You may not need them immediately on installing XP, but the
    drivers included on the XP CD may not offer the full functions of some
    peripherals (such as printers).

    It may be worthwhile to update the BIOS of the machine, if there's a newer
    version available.

    You can also run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118

    You can run this from the XP CD while the machine is operating using ME. If
    you have a CD burner, I suggest saving the transfer archive to a file on the
    PC's hard drive, and then burning a copy of the file to a CD-R. That will
    transfer a lot of stuff that would otherwise require more skill, such as old
    emails and the like.

    One question is which version of XP to buy. I recommend a retail upgrade
    version of XP Home. Home uses the same kernel as Pro, and has the same
    performance. If you don't need to support two physical CPUs, join a domain,
    or run an IIS server, then Home is probably adequate. (If you, like me,
    don't really know what that stuff means, then Home is adequate.)

    An upgrade version is identical to the full version, except that if you wish
    to do a clean install of XP, the installer will ask that you produce
    "qualifying media". (I use a CD-R copy of my retail Win98 upgrade CD.) It
    may not recognize a Dell WinME disk (if you have one). The full version of
    XP Home costs $100 more (in the USA), but it requires no previous version of
    Windows. OEM copies also require no previous version, but they are not
    supposed to be capable of upgrading older versions of Windows.

    Some people recommend that XP not be installed as an upgrade over an older
    OS. A clean install is probably a good idea, but you may wish to try the
    upgrade first.

    The first PC I installed XP on was a PIII with a 1 GHz CPU, and 512 MB of
    RAM. It was probably almost identical in performance to your 933 MHz
    machine. The upgrade may not be painless, but if you do the advance work of
    obtaining drivers, it ought to go smoothly enough.

    HTH.

    "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
    > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
    > an
    > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
    > suggestions, comments are appreciated.

    Thanks for your help and suggestions. Hopefully, I won't crash and burn when
    attempting to do this!

    "Bob Knowlden" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Some people recommend that XP not be installed as an upgrade over an older
    > OS. A clean install is probably a good idea, but you may wish to try the
    > upgrade first.
    >
    > The first PC I installed XP on was a PIII with a 1 GHz CPU, and 512 MB of
    > RAM. It was probably almost identical in performance to your 933 MHz
    > machine. The upgrade may not be painless, but if you do the advance work of
    > obtaining drivers, it ought to go smoothly enough.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
    > > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
    > > an
    > > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all

    Thanks a bunch for your help, Crusty :) I'm gonna give this a try and hope
    for the best!

    mikasa1 wrote:
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
    > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
    > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
    > suggestions, comments are appreciated.

    WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
    system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
    translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
    designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
    can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
    important to you, back it up before proceeding.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks Bruce. I've run the advisor and it was helpful. My peripheral
    hardware is compatible. I'm still checking to make sure everything else is
    as well.

    mikasa1 wrote:
    > Thanks Bruce. I've run the advisor and it was helpful. My peripheral
    > hardware is compatible. I'm still checking to make sure everything else is
    > as well.

    You're welcome.

    --

    Bruce Chambers