Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

installing windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:28:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
suggestions, comments are appreciated.

More about : installing windows

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com,
mikasa1 <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how
> difficult it would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want
> to be
> capable of using an iPod and other peripherals that are
> impossible
> with ME. Any and all suggestions, comments are appreciated.


It's very easy and shouldn't be any problem. The only things to
be concerned about is to be sure you have enough RAM and enough
disk space. I wouldn't want to run Windows XP with less than
around 256MB, and be sure you have several MB of free disk space.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
June 27, 2005 1:32:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

mikasa1 wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
> iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> suggestions, comments are appreciated.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:36:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

There should be no problems whatsoever. Buy the Win XP Update package and let her rip

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
> I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
> iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> suggestions, comments are appreciated.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:52:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Get all your ducks in a row before you start. Hunt down any Windows XP
drivers you will need for your hardware. These include video, sound, M/B,
modem, LAN, printer, scanner and similar drivers. You need drivers for
anything you intend to have connected to, and communicating with, the new
operating system.

Save them to a CD for installation after you have successfully installed
WinXP.

Good luck!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
>I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
> an
> iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> suggestions, comments are appreciated.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dell claims that a Dimension 4100 is suitable to be upgraded to XP:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

It might be a good idea to install the maximum memory in the machine (512
MB). XP is supposed to want a practical minimum of 256 MB, but more is
supposed to be better. (I have never run it in a machine with less than 512
MB, so I can't say how well it runs with less.)

If you can manage a 32 MB download, I suggest that you download and run the
XP Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advis...

I doubt that you'll learn anything interesting from it, but it may flag some
drivers that are not included with XP (that you'll have to download
separately).

Also, download (support.dell.com) XP drivers for your system and
peripherals. You may not need them immediately on installing XP, but the
drivers included on the XP CD may not offer the full functions of some
peripherals (such as printers).

It may be worthwhile to update the BIOS of the machine, if there's a newer
version available.

You can also run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118

You can run this from the XP CD while the machine is operating using ME. If
you have a CD burner, I suggest saving the transfer archive to a file on the
PC's hard drive, and then burning a copy of the file to a CD-R. That will
transfer a lot of stuff that would otherwise require more skill, such as old
emails and the like.

One question is which version of XP to buy. I recommend a retail upgrade
version of XP Home. Home uses the same kernel as Pro, and has the same
performance. If you don't need to support two physical CPUs, join a domain,
or run an IIS server, then Home is probably adequate. (If you, like me,
don't really know what that stuff means, then Home is adequate.)

An upgrade version is identical to the full version, except that if you wish
to do a clean install of XP, the installer will ask that you produce
"qualifying media". (I use a CD-R copy of my retail Win98 upgrade CD.) It
may not recognize a Dell WinME disk (if you have one). The full version of
XP Home costs $100 more (in the USA), but it requires no previous version of
Windows. OEM copies also require no previous version, but they are not
supposed to be capable of upgrading older versions of Windows.

Some people recommend that XP not be installed as an upgrade over an older
OS. A clean install is probably a good idea, but you may wish to try the
upgrade first.

The first PC I installed XP on was a PIII with a 1 GHz CPU, and 512 MB of
RAM. It was probably almost identical in performance to your 933 MHz
machine. The upgrade may not be painless, but if you do the advance work of
obtaining drivers, it ought to go smoothly enough.

HTH.

Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
>I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
> an
> iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> suggestions, comments are appreciated.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Hopefully, I won't crash and burn when
attempting to do this!

"Bob Knowlden" wrote:

> Dell claims that a Dimension 4100 is suitable to be upgraded to XP:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...
>
> It might be a good idea to install the maximum memory in the machine (512
> MB). XP is supposed to want a practical minimum of 256 MB, but more is
> supposed to be better. (I have never run it in a machine with less than 512
> MB, so I can't say how well it runs with less.)
>
> If you can manage a 32 MB download, I suggest that you download and run the
> XP Upgrade Advisor:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advis...
>
> I doubt that you'll learn anything interesting from it, but it may flag some
> drivers that are not included with XP (that you'll have to download
> separately).
>
> Also, download (support.dell.com) XP drivers for your system and
> peripherals. You may not need them immediately on installing XP, but the
> drivers included on the XP CD may not offer the full functions of some
> peripherals (such as printers).
>
> It may be worthwhile to update the BIOS of the machine, if there's a newer
> version available.
>
> You can also run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118
>
> You can run this from the XP CD while the machine is operating using ME. If
> you have a CD burner, I suggest saving the transfer archive to a file on the
> PC's hard drive, and then burning a copy of the file to a CD-R. That will
> transfer a lot of stuff that would otherwise require more skill, such as old
> emails and the like.
>
> One question is which version of XP to buy. I recommend a retail upgrade
> version of XP Home. Home uses the same kernel as Pro, and has the same
> performance. If you don't need to support two physical CPUs, join a domain,
> or run an IIS server, then Home is probably adequate. (If you, like me,
> don't really know what that stuff means, then Home is adequate.)
>
> An upgrade version is identical to the full version, except that if you wish
> to do a clean install of XP, the installer will ask that you produce
> "qualifying media". (I use a CD-R copy of my retail Win98 upgrade CD.) It
> may not recognize a Dell WinME disk (if you have one). The full version of
> XP Home costs $100 more (in the USA), but it requires no previous version of
> Windows. OEM copies also require no previous version, but they are not
> supposed to be capable of upgrading older versions of Windows.
>
> Some people recommend that XP not be installed as an upgrade over an older
> OS. A clean install is probably a good idea, but you may wish to try the
> upgrade first.
>
> The first PC I installed XP on was a PIII with a 1 GHz CPU, and 512 MB of
> RAM. It was probably almost identical in performance to your 933 MHz
> machine. The upgrade may not be painless, but if you do the advance work of
> obtaining drivers, it ought to go smoothly enough.
>
> HTH.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
> > an
> > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> > suggestions, comments are appreciated.
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 2:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks a bunch for your help, Crusty :)  I'm gonna give this a try and hope
for the best!

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Get all your ducks in a row before you start. Hunt down any Windows XP
> drivers you will need for your hardware. These include video, sound, M/B,
> modem, LAN, printer, scanner and similar drivers. You need drivers for
> anything you intend to have connected to, and communicating with, the new
> operating system.
>
> Save them to a CD for installation after you have successfully installed
> WinXP.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "mikasa1" <mikasa1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E0411DF1-306E-4C9C-8335-77C8A2C90FF9@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using
> > an
> > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> > suggestions, comments are appreciated.
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:45:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

mikasa1 wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
> iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> suggestions, comments are appreciated.


WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Bruce. I've run the advisor and it was helpful. My peripheral
hardware is compatible. I'm still checking to make sure everything else is
as well.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> mikasa1 wrote:
> > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 944 MHZ, and was wondering how difficult it
> > would be to upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I want to be capable of using an
> > iPod and other peripherals that are impossible with ME. Any and all
> > suggestions, comments are appreciated.
>
>
> WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
> system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
> translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
> designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
> can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
> important to you, back it up before proceeding.
>
> Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
> of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
> manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
> (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
> Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
> hardware components or applications.
>
> You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
> there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
> components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
> Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
> with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
> hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
> models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
> consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
> before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
> hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
> still support Win9x.
>
> HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639
>
> Upgrading to Windows XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
>
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:35:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

mikasa1 wrote:
> Thanks Bruce. I've run the advisor and it was helpful. My peripheral
> hardware is compatible. I'm still checking to make sure everything else is
> as well.
>


You're welcome.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
!