Daniel

Hey All

I was thinking of adding a second HD to my pc for working with Video and
Picture editing programs only. I know I would have to format the new HD but
do I also have to install WIN xp on it as well?

Dan

In news:2E69E427-D99D-4D5C-8C79-E644C5E1B891@microsoft.com,
Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I was thinking of adding a second HD to my pc for working with
> Video
> and Picture editing programs only. I know I would have to
> format the
> new HD but do I also have to install WIN xp on it as well?

No, not at all. You need Windows on the drive you boot from and
noplace else.

Please reply to the newsgroup

BigJim

no just set the jumper to slave connect the power and data cable and format
it.
when your ready to format write back here and someone will tell you how, I
would but I have forgotten.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:

> I was thinking of adding a second HD to my pc for working with Video and
> Picture editing programs only. I know I would have to format the new HD but
> do I also have to install WIN xp on it as well?

Well, it has to be partitioned even before you format it. The problem
most people have who've never added a hard drive before is doing the
jumper settings.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Daniel

Hi Plato

Would I just use my Win XP disk to format and partion the new drive?

Dan

"Plato" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking of adding a second HD to my pc for working with Video and
> > Picture editing programs only. I know I would have to format the new HD but
> > do I also have to install WIN xp on it as well?
>
> Well, it has to be partitioned even before you format it. The problem
> most people have who've never added a hard drive before is doing the
> jumper settings.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer
Management.
or Start > Settings > Control Panel >Performance and Maintenance >
Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Select Disk Management from the left pane.
--
Ron Sommer

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking of adding a second HD to my pc for working with Video and
>> Picture editing programs only. I know I would have to format the new HD
>> but
>> do I also have to install WIN xp on it as well?
>
> Well, it has to be partitioned even before you format it. The problem
> most people have who've never added a hard drive before is doing the
> jumper settings.

Making sure the BIOS recognizes the drive is another problem for newbies.