128 MB flash stick crashes system.

xyz

I have a Sony 128 MB flash stick (USB 2.0) that has just started to cause my
PC to crash each time I rt click a file to copy from or copy onto it. It has
been working fine untill now. I scaned it for virus/scumware and it is clean.
Very little is stored on the stick and properties show it to be almost a
blank disk. Any thoughts as to the cause and or cure?
--
72 years young & new PC user-ignorent however I am trying to learn. Never
stop learning new things as it keeps one young.

Malke

XYZ wrote:

> I have a Sony 128 MB flash stick (USB 2.0) that has just started to
> cause my PC to crash each time I rt click a file to copy from or copy
> onto it. It has been working fine untill now. I scaned it for
> virus/scumware and it is clean. Very little is stored on the stick and
> properties show it to be almost a blank disk. Any thoughts as to the
> cause and or cure?

1. Do any other usb thumb drives cause this problem? If you don't have a
second one, see if you can test with a friend's.

2. Does the thumb drive misbehave if you put it in a different usb
connector?

3. Does your thumb drive exhibit the same problems on a different
machine?

One other thing to check aside from the testing with the drive is if you
have recently installed something that has added an extension to the
right-click context menu. You can troubleshoot the context menu easily
with the free program ShellExView. Get ShellExView here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers