stupid empire question #2

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships that move
into a sector 5 sectors away?

I'm finding the info pages to be a trifle arcane.

-DD

"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships that move
> into a sector 5 sectors away?

there are no hostile ships, but only friends with which you might have
suffered a temporary miscommunication. the rights of neutrals to
continue to enjoy the freedom of the seas that they enjoyed during
times of peace must not be compromised by aggressor nations who
choose to engage in hostile actions.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

"Gregory E. Garland" <geg1@earthlink.net> wrote in

> "Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships
>> that move into a sector 5 sectors away?
>>

> there are no hostile ships, but only friends with which you might
> have suffered a temporary miscommunication. the rights of
> neutrals to continue to enjoy the freedom of the seas

Your punctuation habits imply that you might be beep. If you are beep,
I warn you again that your patrol boat #290 is in serious danger if it
moves a single sector northward, regardless of the answer to my above
question.

-Dan Damouth

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:

> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships that move
> into a sector 5 sectors away?

Fire will fail with `out of range' half of the time.

Quote `info fire':

Gun ranges, both on offense AND defense, are somewhat random. If
you have a range of 4.16, you can always shoot to 4, and have a 16%
chance of being able to fire at range 5...

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Markus Armbruster <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote in

> Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:
>
>> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships
>> that move into a sector 5 sectors away?
>
> Fire will fail with `out of range' half of the time.
>
> Quote `info fire':
>
> Gun ranges, both on offense AND defense, are somewhat random.
> If you have a range of 4.16, you can always shoot to 4, and have
> a 16% chance of being able to fire at range 5...

Is that a yes?

-Dan

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:

> Markus Armbruster <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote in
>
>> Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:
>>
>>> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships
>>> that move into a sector 5 sectors away?
>>
>> Fire will fail with `out of range' half of the time.
>>
>> Quote `info fire':
>>
>> Gun ranges, both on offense AND defense, are somewhat random.
>> If you have a range of 4.16, you can always shoot to 4, and have
>> a 16% chance of being able to fire at range 5...
>
> Is that a yes?

It's a 50% yes: your fort gets a 50% chance to shoot.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Markus Armbruster <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote:
> Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Markus Armbruster <armbru@pond.sub.org> wrote in

> >> Fire will fail with `out of range' half of the time.
> >>
> >> Quote `info fire':
> >>
> >> Gun ranges, both on offense AND defense, are somewhat random.
> >> If you have a range of 4.16, you can always shoot to 4, and have
> >> a 16% chance of being able to fire at range 5...
> >
> > Is that a yes?
>
> It's a 50% yes: your fort gets a 50% chance to shoot.

Note that you can already hit the ship when firing manually.

Also note that rounded down firing ranges are great when you want to kill
an opposing fort. Even if you both have the same ranger then your shot will
fail 50% oif the time. If it fails you only wasted some shells.

If it hits then there is only 50% chance of return fire.
So those 4.X ranges are sometimes a real advantage. :)

--
Hennes

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

> > If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships that move
> > into a sector 5 sectors away?
> >

> there are no hostile ships, but only friends with which you might have
> suffered a temporary miscommunication. the rights of neutrals to
> continue to enjoy the freedom of the seas that they enjoyed during
> times of peace must not be compromised by aggressor nations who
> choose to engage in hostile actions.

Remember, beep sees the world thru rose colored eyeglasses.

Thistle

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> If my fort has a range of 4.5, will it shoot at hostile ships that move
> into a sector 5 sectors away?
>
> I'm finding the info pages to be a trifle arcane.
>
> -DD

There's a little bit more to it than your fort just auto-firing and partial
ranges. You have to detect the movement that far away. If you have a fort
within range of a hostile vessel but you don't have any radar's or other coastal
movement detection, and a hostile ship is moving around out in the middle of the
ascii pond, then your fort will not be firing or even attempting to fire. info
detection

-Bungy