yoggieb

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
I am interested in getting a 120GB external HDD for my IBM Thinkpad. However, i am wondering if my thinkpad will have any problems recognising such a large capacity through USB. Does anyone know if it will?

Thanks.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
No, the hardware that converts the ATA signal into a USB signal will take care of the drive recognition for you and tell the USB bus what size of drive you have.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
No, the BIOS won't be involved. USB devices aren't recognized through the BIOS but by the USB controller.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
While the Drive is, generally, NOT recognized by the BIOS there can be exceptions. There are many BIOS's that are out now that will recognize USB storage devices. (More prevelent on laptops than desktops.)

Some are LIMITED strictly to recognizing specific devices, others recognize a broader array of devices. (Most BIOS's that recognize USB devices are set specifically to the manufacturers add-on floppy and CD-ROM drives.)

I haven't seen any BIOS's yet, that offer configuration options in the BIOS regarding USB storage devices. (Other than to see allow them, or not, but even that is RARE.)

Additionally, keep in mind that the USB controller is still affected by software at various levels.
Motheboard BIOS
OS Drivers
USB Device Drivers

All of this software must work in concert for the device to function.

The ONLY guarantee that you get from the USB contoller, is that it will recognize a USB device is present. Determining what that device is and how to control it is handled by various software levels, and can be affected adversely by that software.

Generally for hard drive devices they are set to use Windows 2000/XP USB storage device drivers. (I don't know about USB Storage devices in Linux.) Some have their own drivers, but most don't.

Also SOME USB devices themselves can be updated VIA downloads from the manufacturer.

Still the bottom line is that you "shouldn't" have any problems.

If you do, look for updated drivers first from the manufacturer. (Providing this storage device can be flashed.)