Black screen in Safe Mode

Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all Windows
updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a file and
when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners. Mouse
cursor is very erratic.
5 answers Last reply
More about black screen safe mode

    That's normal.
    When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
    written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the
    welcome screen,don't you get that?

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    Don Pullem wrote:
    > Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all Windows
    > updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a file and
    > when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4 corners. Mouse
    > cursor is very erratic.

    Thanks for responding.

    No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get is
    the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The cursor
    is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written accross
    the top of my screen.

    "Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service
    pack 2)"

    Don

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > That's normal.
    > When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
    > written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
    > screen,don't you get that?
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > Don Pullem wrote:
    >> Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all
    >> Windows updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a
    >> file and when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4
    >> corners. Mouse cursor is very erratic.

    Try starting in VGA mode.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314503&ID=KB;EN-US;q314503
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Don Pullem wrote:

    > Thanks for responding.
    >
    > No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get is
    > the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The cursor
    > is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written accross
    > the top of my screen.
    >
    > "Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service
    > pack 2)"
    >
    > Don
    >

    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>That's normal.
    >>When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
    >>written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
    >>screen,don't you get that?
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>ssg MS-MVP
    >>Don Pullem wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just formatted and did clean install Windows XP HE. Installed all
    >>>Windows updates including SP2. I needed to go into safe mode to remove a
    >>>file and when I do I get a blank black screen with safe mode in all 4
    >>>corners. Mouse cursor is very erratic.

    Hi,

    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. To clarify my problem was with
    safe mode only. I was able to boot to Windows without any problems. I
    remembered in previous trouble shooting prior to my having to reinstall
    Windows I had made a couple of changes in my bios. I decided to reset my
    bios to their original defaults and I now get my desktop OK in safe mode.
    Thanks again for you help, it was appreciated.

    Kind regards

    Don

    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    > Try starting in VGA mode.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314503&ID=KB;EN-US;q314503
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > Don Pullem wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for responding.
    >>
    >> No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get
    >> is the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The
    >> cursor is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written
    >> accross the top of my screen.
    >>
    >> "Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build
    >> 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2)"
    >>
    >> Don
    >>

    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>That's normal.
    >>>When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
    >>>written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
    >>>screen,don't you get that?
    >>>
    >>>regards,
    >>>ssg MS-MVP

    Hi,

    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. To clarify my problem was with
    safe mode only. I was able to boot to Windows without any problems. I
    remembered in previous trouble shooting prior to my having to reinstall
    Windows I had made a couple of changes in my bios. I decided to reset my
    bios to their original defaults and I now get my desktop OK in safe mode.
    Thanks again for you help, it was appreciated.

    Kind regards

    Don

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Try starting in VGA mode.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314503&ID=KB;EN-US;q314503
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307852&sd=tech
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > Don Pullem wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for responding.
    >>
    >> No, I never get the welcome screen. I waited 15 minutes and all I get
    >> is the blank black screen with the safe mode written in 4 corners. The
    >> cursor is very jumpy when I move the mouse. One other thing is written
    >> accross the top of my screen.
    >>
    >> "Microsoft (R0) Windows XP (r) (Build
    >> 2600.xpsp.sp2_gdr.050301-1519:service pack 2)"
    >>
    >> Don
    >>

    >> "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>That's normal.
    >>>When you boot to Safe mode you will find a black screen with 'Safe mode'
    >>>written in four corners.But after a little while you will get the welcome
    >>>screen,don't you get that?
    >>>
    >>>regards,
    >>>ssg MS-MVP

Safe Mode Clean Install Microsoft Windows XP