dual ata/100 hd's with antec cobra cables

beccabob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
have both a 40 gb hd with 2 mb buffer and 160 gb hd with 8 mb buffer. which is faster as primary? also 2 questions about antec cobra cables. 1.) do they slow down performance that much? and does the performance loss depend on how close together they are? also have the grounds on the antec cobras grounded dead center above the 4 gb harddrive (primary at this time). can this cause some sort of interference that might slow down speed hd performance.. also cant get the 40 gb hd (havent tried the 160 yet) to do a successful error check (under tools in xp) without losing a driver. does this indicate a problem?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
The 160GB should be faster, assuming they are both equal rotation speed. The antec cables shouldn't affect performance noticeably and the grounding position won't matter either. Not sure what you mean by error check, you mean run chkdsk?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

have both a 40 gb hd with 2 mb buffer and 160 gb hd with 8 mb buffer. which is faster as primary?

Well to determine which drive is faster you need RPM info and ATA info for starters.

also 2 questions about antec cobra cables. 1.) do they slow down performance that much? and does the performance loss depend on how close together they are?

Antecs extra length cables are great for hooking up your CDROMs and such in the larger cases, but for hooking up your HDDs keep your cable length to 18", I just ran into this exact situation using Antec 24" ATA133 (supposedly high performance) HDD cables, which resulted in system performance lags that disappeared after going back to the 18" length. If I'd done the math on the cables to start with I'd have never bought them to run my HDDs off of period, thats an additional 6" of cable, containing 80 wires, thats actually adding 480", or a total of 40' of wire to your transfer cables, now at 220volts/200amps 40' of wire means nothing, but with the low voltage data is transmitted through those cables an additional 40' of wire does affect the performance, with higher ATA transfer speeds, doesn't really matter at all with ATA33, but does with ATA66 and above.

also have the grounds on the antec cobras grounded dead center above the 4 gb harddrive (primary at this time). can this cause some sort of interference that might slow down speed hd performance..

Where you ground really doesn't matter, but the length of the cable does matter with HDDs, after the problems I've just come through with this issue, no one here is going to convince me any different.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>