Prepaing to install SP2

I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the domain.
This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3 as the
Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do that can I make sure that
no security updates get installed in Windows XP unless I choose to do it?
In other words does installing SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete
control what updates if any are going to be installed in the system?
Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

George Hester wrote:

> I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the domain.
> This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3 as the
> Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do that can I make sure that
> no security updates get installed in Windows XP unless I choose to do it?
> In other words does installing SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete
> control what updates if any are going to be installed in the system?
> Thanks.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________

Yes. In control panel, Automatic Updates, choose what you want, such as
turn off Automatic Updates.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e3ZCB%23seFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the
> domain. This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server SP3 as the Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do
> that can I make sure that no security updates get installed in
> Windows XP unless I choose to do it? In other words does installing
> SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete control what updates if any
> are going to be installed in the system? Thanks.

Yes. You can disable automatic updates but the better idea is to set it to
notify you but not download nor install. From there when the notification
comes in you'll be able to select custome options and install only the
updates you want.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Yes that is the way I have it now. OK thanks. By the way do you think
there is anything I should do to prepare the system. It has no applications
installed in at this time so the chance of conflicts should be minimal. It
is a SCSI system but the SCSI is not being used at the moment. Maybe I
should with till I hook it up again? Before I do that I have to get a
stronger PSU though.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> In news:e3ZCB%23seFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> > I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the
> > domain. This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced
> > Server SP3 as the Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do
> > that can I make sure that no security updates get installed in
> > Windows XP unless I choose to do it? In other words does installing
> > SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete control what updates if any
> > are going to be installed in the system? Thanks.
>
> Yes. You can disable automatic updates but the better idea is to set it to
> notify you but not download nor install. From there when the notification
> comes in you'll be able to select custome options and install only the
> updates you want.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Hi George - You might want to have a look here, particularly at the
Installing SP2 forum:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16&sid=bdad5d4125c29e56f820e86ac0304508

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes that is the way I have it now. OK thanks. By the way do you
> think there is anything I should do to prepare the system. It has no
> applications installed in at this time so the chance of conflicts
> should be minimal. It is a SCSI system but the SCSI is not being
> used at the moment. Maybe I should with till I hook it up again?
> Before I do that I have to get a stronger PSU though.
>
>> In news:e3ZCB%23seFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> had this to say:

>>> I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the
>>> domain. This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced
>>> Server SP3 as the Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do
>>> that can I make sure that no security updates get installed in
>>> Windows XP unless I choose to do it? In other words does installing
>>> SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete control what updates if
>>> any are going to be installed in the system? Thanks.
>>
>> Yes. You can disable automatic updates but the better idea is to set
>> it to notify you but not download nor install. From there when the
>> notification comes in you'll be able to select custome options and
>> install only the updates you want.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Hi George - You might want to have a look here, particularly at the
Installing SP2 threads:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16&sid=bdad5d4125c29e56f820e86ac0304508

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes that is the way I have it now. OK thanks. By the way do you
> think there is anything I should do to prepare the system. It has no
> applications installed in at this time so the chance of conflicts
> should be minimal. It is a SCSI system but the SCSI is not being
> used at the moment. Maybe I should with till I hook it up again?
> Before I do that I have to get a stronger PSU though.
>
>> In news:e3ZCB%23seFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> had this to say:

>>> I'd like to install SP2 in one of my Windows XP SP1 clients in the
>>> domain. This is a Windows 2000 domain from Windows 2000 Advanced
>>> Server SP3 as the Domain Controller. I'd like to know that if I do
>>> that can I make sure that no security updates get installed in
>>> Windows XP unless I choose to do it? In other words does installing
>>> SP 2 in Windows XP still give me complete control what updates if
>>> any are going to be installed in the system? Thanks.
>>
>> Yes. You can disable automatic updates but the better idea is to set
>> it to notify you but not download nor install. From there when the
>> notification comes in you'll be able to select custome options and
>> install only the updates you want.
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
>> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
>> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
>> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Hi Jim. Well I'm not really concerened about Spyware. That isn't an issue.
Nothing has been installed and the only site it has ever been to is
www.microsoft.com I have run a few checkers here and there and HijackThis
runs there. So spyware should be out of the loop here.

Maybe though I should make a restore point. I haven't done that yet. What
do you think of installing the Windows Installer 3.1 before I install SP2?
I was able to d/l the package and plan on putting it on CD-R. Trouble is I
did that with SP3 for Windows 2000 and sfc still wanted me to insert my
Windows 2000 SP3 CD-ROM which I did and sfc still didn't like it. I'd like
to avoid that with Windows XP SP2 if I can.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Jim Byrd" <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hi George - You might want to have a look here, particularly at the
> Installing SP2 forum:
>
> http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16&sid=bdad5d4125c29e56f820e86ac0304508
>
> --
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
> My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
>
> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes that is the way I have it now. OK thanks. By the way do you
> > think there is anything I should do to prepare the system. It has no
> > applications installed in at this time so the chance of conflicts
> > should be minimal. It is a SCSI system but the SCSI is not being
> > used at the moment. Maybe I should with till I hook it up again?
> > Before I do that I have to get a stronger PSU though.
> >
> >> In news:e3ZCB%23seFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> >> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> had this to say:
> >>
> >> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> >> Yes. You can disable automatic updates but the better idea is to set
> >> it to notify you but not download nor install. From there when the
> >> notification comes in you'll be able to select custome options and
> >> install only the updates you want.
> >>
> >> Galen
> >> --
> >>
> >> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> >> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> >> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> >> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
> >>
> >> Sherlock Holmes

Hi George - Well, you might want to slipstream it with your XP or XPSP1 disk
to make a composite for future Repair installs. Use AutoStreamer or nLite.
You won't need Win Installer 3.1 to install SP2; however, it shouldn't
present a problem if you want to use it. If you're convinced that your
machine is clean, then the most important recommendation I would make is to
install from a Clean Boot (so that you can use the Installer and at the same
time avoid interference from other programs such as Norton.) Directions at
the link I pointed you to or in my Blog, address in Signature.

--

> Hi Jim. Well I'm not really concerened about Spyware. That isn't an
> issue. Nothing has been installed and the only site it has ever been
> to is www.microsoft.com I have run a few checkers here and there and
> HijackThis runs there. So spyware should be out of the loop here.
>
> Maybe though I should make a restore point. I haven't done that
> yet. What do you think of installing the Windows Installer 3.1
> before I install SP2? I was able to d/l the package and plan on
> putting it on CD-R. Trouble is I did that with SP3 for Windows 2000
> and sfc still wanted me to insert my Windows 2000 SP3 CD-ROM which I
> did and sfc still didn't like it. I'd like to avoid that with
> Windows XP SP2 if I can.
>
>> Hi George - You might want to have a look here, particularly at the
>> Installing SP2 forum:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php?c=16&sid=bdad5d4125c29e56f820e86ac0304508

>> --
>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>> My, Blog Defending Your Machine, here:
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
>>
>> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes that is the way I have it now. OK thanks. By the way do you
>>> think there is anything I should do to prepare the system. It has
>>> no applications installed in at this time so the chance of conflicts
>>> should be minimal. It is a SCSI system but the SCSI is not being
>>> used at the moment. Maybe I should with till I hook it up again?
>>> Before I do that I have to get a stronger PSU though.

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Yes it does, but you need to configure Automatic Updates to that effect.
You can set it to manual update at WU or to download updates and install
later.