Dialup problems - error 6, then error 50 trying to connect

Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to connect to an
dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same errors that
were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror number 6 -
The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The request is
not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell phone, so I
know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup with
startup items not included, but that did not allow the connection to be
completed either. Does anyone know if it is even possible to use a dialup
connection with Windows XP Professional?

Malke

CantDialUp wrote:

> Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to connect
> to an
> dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same errors
> that
> were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror number
> 6 -
> The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The
> request is
> not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell phone,
> so I
> know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup with
> startup items not included, but that did not allow the connection to
> be
> completed either. Does anyone know if it is even possible to use a
> dialup connection with Windows XP Professional?

Of course you can use a dialup connection with XP Pro. If you know your
modem works correctly, then there must be a problem with the
information you are entering to connect to the ISP. I would suspect
your username and/or password is incorrect, or perhaps you have the
wrong access numbers. Contact your ISP's tech support for help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thank you for your reply Malke. I have tried different access numbers and I
have tried a different username and password that works on a different
system. None of this is working. I have spent quite a bit of time with the
ISP tech support to no avail. That's why I posted my question in the first
place.

"Malke" wrote:

> CantDialUp wrote:
>
> > Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to connect
> > to an
> > dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same errors
> > that
> > were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror number
> > 6 -
> > The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The
> > request is
> > not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell phone,
> > so I
> > know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup with
> > startup items not included, but that did not allow the connection to
> > be
> > completed either. Does anyone know if it is even possible to use a
> > dialup connection with Windows XP Professional?
>
> Of course you can use a dialup connection with XP Pro. If you know your
> modem works correctly, then there must be a problem with the
> information you are entering to connect to the ISP. I would suspect
> your username and/or password is incorrect, or perhaps you have the
> wrong access numbers. Contact your ISP's tech support for help.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

CantDialUp wrote:

> Thank you for your reply Malke. I have tried different access numbers
> and I have tried a different username and password that works on a
> different
> system. None of this is working. I have spent quite a bit of time
> with the
> ISP tech support to no avail. That's why I posted my question in the
> first place.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> CantDialUp wrote:
>>
>> > Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to
>> > connect to an
>> > dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same
>> > errors that
>> > were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror
>> > number 6 -
>> > The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The
>> > request is
>> > not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell
>> > phone, so I
>> > know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup

Then I'm sorry, but I don't know. Perhaps you have some third-party
firewall that is blocking your connection or perhaps the modem is
flaky. There was no way for anyone to know what you had already done;
that is why putting full information in your first post is a good idea.

If you don't have any third-party software that could be blocking the
modem from dialing out, try swapping out the modem for a known-working
one. If this is not your cup of tea, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Good luck,

Malke