Dialup problems - error 6, then error 50 trying to connect

Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to connect to an
dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same errors that
were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror number 6 -
The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The request is
not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell phone, so I
know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup with
startup items not included, but that did not allow the connection to be
completed either. Does anyone know if it is even possible to use a dialup
connection with Windows XP Professional?
3 answers Last reply
More about dialup problems error error connect

    CantDialUp wrote:

    > Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to connect
    > to an
    > dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same errors
    > that
    > were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror number
    > 6 -
    > The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The
    > request is
    > not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell phone,
    > so I
    > know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup with
    > startup items not included, but that did not allow the connection to
    > be
    > completed either. Does anyone know if it is even possible to use a
    > dialup connection with Windows XP Professional?

    Of course you can use a dialup connection with XP Pro. If you know your
    modem works correctly, then there must be a problem with the
    information you are entering to connect to the ISP. I would suspect
    your username and/or password is incorrect, or perhaps you have the
    wrong access numbers. Contact your ISP's tech support for help.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thank you for your reply Malke. I have tried different access numbers and I
    have tried a different username and password that works on a different
    system. None of this is working. I have spent quite a bit of time with the
    ISP tech support to no avail. That's why I posted my question in the first
    place.

    CantDialUp wrote:

    > Thank you for your reply Malke. I have tried different access numbers
    > and I have tried a different username and password that works on a
    > different
    > system. None of this is working. I have spent quite a bit of time
    > with the
    > ISP tech support to no avail. That's why I posted my question in the
    > first place.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> CantDialUp wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello. I am having trouble getting a computer with XP Pro to
    >> > connect to an
    >> > dialup ISP. I set up a manual connection and received the same
    >> > errors that
    >> > were received when using the ISP software. First I get an eror
    >> > number 6 -
    >> > The handle is invalid. Redial and I get an error number 50 - The
    >> > request is
    >> > not supported. I am able to use HyperTerminal to dial my cell
    >> > phone, so I
    >> > know the modem is OK. I have attempted using a selective startup

    Then I'm sorry, but I don't know. Perhaps you have some third-party
    firewall that is blocking your connection or perhaps the modem is
    flaky. There was no way for anyone to know what you had already done;
    that is why putting full information in your first post is a good idea.

    If you don't have any third-party software that could be blocking the
    modem from dialing out, try swapping out the modem for a known-working
    one. If this is not your cup of tea, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Connection Dialup Internet Service Providers Windows XP