ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
I'm looking at upgrading soon and was wondering when ddr2 and 3 are being released?

Also is there going to be any noticable performance increase between using ddr1 2 and 3 straight away?

Thanx ^_^

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
Douglas Noel Adams 1952-2002

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
DDR 1 to DDR 2

Increase in clock for clock performance and less hungry on power.In the desktop market there will be a decrease in performance compare to DDR1 200 mghz (PC3200).Until faster DDR2 chipset (mostly 2 generation) and higher clocked DDR2 stick.
On large scale memory 8 GB or 2 GB per channel DDR2 will offer big gain.

DDR2 to DDR3 as i know the clock for clock bandwith is the same.As i know it make for reach 300 mghz to 400 mghz internal clock speed that about 50 to 100% higher that PC3200.Around this time Rambus trial should be finish it might change the future roadmap.Personnaly i wont be surprise if intel buy them if they lose there trial.

i need to change useur name.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 05/26/04 01:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
Mainly what i was asking is does anyone know when roughly it's going to be on the market?

But correct me if i'm wrong you just said ddr2 will be slower than ddr1 to begin with? Will that be because current software won't take advantage of it or because the actual memory will be slower until they improve the technology?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Mainly what i was asking is does anyone know when roughly it's going to be on the market?

Around june DDR-2 in retail market should be avaible.DDR-3 date of release i hard to say around 2008 i guess.

i need to change useur name.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
But correct me if i'm wrong you just said ddr2 will be slower than ddr1 to begin with? Will that be because current software won't take advantage of it or because the actual memory will be slower until they improve the technology?

Software change nothing on memory performance.Jedec have never made those standart for higher performance it was made for reducing cost of production.

i need to change useur name.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Crucial is already selling DDR2 through their website, though I can't say for sure they're shipping right now.

Course, as far as I know, no one's shipping a DDR2 motherboard yet, so the ram by itself isn't all that helpful.

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Yes, Crucial is shipping DDR2 and not in large quantities though due to the fact there are no motherboards to support it. Once the DDR2 motherboards are shipping in mass quantities production of DDR2 will begin in full swing.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
DDR2 uses a different configuration than DDR1. I don't know the science of it, but I know this: DDR2 has higher latencies. That being said, DDR1 has reached its limit. The way DDR1 is made, going past DDR400 is costly and complex. DDR2 can be clocked beyond 200MHZ FSB. Also, it has a 4-bit prefetch as opposed to a 2-bit prefetch (which DDR1 has), meaning it has 2X the bandwidth of DDR when it goes at the same clockspeed. So this means that running at current 200 MHZ FSB speed, DDR2 has bandwidth of 6400 as opposeed to DDR1 bandwidth of 3200. All this is stuff I have pieced together from several articles I've read, one was in Maximum PC, and a few were online, and a little from the newest version of <i>Upgrading and Repairing PCs</i> so it may not be totally accurate, but I know the part about higher latencies and double bandwidth is correct.

"The only way to overcome temptation is to yield to it" - Oscar Wilde

ChaoticLusts

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2003
ok still a little confused. Does anyone know what the actual performance difference will be between ddr1 and ddr2 to begin with, because basically i'm going to be buying a new computer very soon (i'm just waiting for the new generation of graphics cards to become availible in australia) and i was wondering if it's worth waiting for ddr2 motherboards to become availible as well

If it's just going to be slower or not much difference at all then i may as well buy as soon as i can get the graphics card i want

any help please?

G

To put it simply without any technicalities: dont wait for DDR2. AMD wont adopt it for at least another year, while intel is going to adopt it on their top chipset sometime this summer, it wont make your computer go faster only maybe more future proof but at a huge premium...
DDR2 should be mainstream or at least more widely adopted in 12-18 month I guess.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900@450/875, 2X30gig Raid0