Alienware laptop m17 vs m17x

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerolimits77

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hey guys so I'm buying a laptop tomorrow i have finally saved up enough money to get something I like and that is respectable, so finaly i've narrowed it down, (Yeah don't want ur anti alienware remarks, I have one and I'm very proud of it it's last me a long time but it's time for an upgrade) to the M17 and M17x heres what i got,

the M17 is ATI graphics based and comes with dual 3870 hd Crossfire
(both are intel processors)
the M17x is Nvidia based and has 9800gt's SLI

basicly I guess what i really want to know is this m17 a good laptop in comparison to other laptops? NOT PRICE just spec wise does it offer viable specs? I don't know much about laptops and I'm not even sure what the most up to date graphics card is right now but how does THAT (not other cards that are for desktops) ATI compare to the Nvidia? I couldnt find benchmarks for laptop graphic cards.

And no, I don't want a desktop.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks,

have a good night.

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)
I would choose M17 because it has a newer chipset with better CPU and its VGA is a little behind 9800M.
However consider SAGER NP9262 too.
www.xoticpc.com

zer0limits7

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

Looked up the Sager however I saw that it was running on a Desktop processor, there has to be some cons with it running on that right?

There are some cons, yes, but with SLI surely you're not worried about battery life, right?

The sager is cheaper (I think) than the alienware, too - alienware is an expensive name.

jonbrout

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Also, the sager comes with desktop processors which ROMP those of the mobile variety. Not to mention the 9800M GTX's in SLI with 2gigs of video memory! If you are looking for gaming and performance I'd strongly consider the NP9262. I just purchased mine after about a month of consideration.

Edit: the only con would be battery life but that isn't a consideration seeing how you are going the SLI path. The only thing it provides would be a better / faster processor (3.0 ghz quad core or 3.33 dual core)

G

All i can say is good luck with Alienware...they don't like dusty enviorments. *crash* Thats why i went with the Battalion 101 D901C Notebook!!!
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 4x 2.83GHz/12MB
2x Mobility 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX
128 GB 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
with an awesome motherboard!!! (P965+ICH8R)
No upgrade except memory!!!! for like 4 years woooo!!!

All i can say is good luck with Alienware...they don't like dusty enviorments. *crash* Thats why i went with the Battalion 101 D901C Notebook!!!
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 4x 2.83GHz/12MB
2x Mobility 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX
128 GB 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
with an awesome motherboard!!! (P965+ICH8R)
No upgrade except memory!!!! for like 4 years woooo!!!

Let's hear it for a Sager (Clevo) in disguise!

Status
Not open for further replies.