Dual Monitor Setup

I have a Sony VAIO desktop and I want to get a second video card and use a
spare monitor that I have as a second monitor. Has anyone done this with a
VAIO desktop and integrated video?

I read that the integrated video has to remain the the primary video driver,
so should my second video card not be too superior to the original?

Any other tips to make the voyage to dual-monitoring run smoothly???

Thanks,

Jeff
1 answer Last reply
More about dual monitor setup

    It depends on the slot where you want to install the second video card.

    Two options:

    One:

    If still want to use on-board video, install a PCI card and it can be
    superior to the primary one. Your on-board card will be set a primary.

    Second:

    if AGP slot, the on-board will get disabled automatically once you install
    this card. Not a problem at all, you will find AGP video card with option to
    connect two monitors. Mostly they would support a standard VGA and a DVI port
    to connect flat panel monitors.

    Sample image:
    two vga ports: http://www.cyberresearch.com/images/products/1074038841.300.jpg

    one vga and one DVI:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Silverstream/objectstore/images/I246017.jpg

    Using Multiple Monitors with Windows XP:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx
    JonyBrv

    "Jeff Daly" wrote:

    > I have a Sony VAIO desktop and I want to get a second video card and use a
    > spare monitor that I have as a second monitor. Has anyone done this with a
    > VAIO desktop and integrated video?
    >
    > I read that the integrated video has to remain the the primary video driver,
    > so should my second video card not be too superior to the original?
    >
    > Any other tips to make the voyage to dual-monitoring run smoothly???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

Dual Monitors Windows XP