older 16 bit games for windows

I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
icons:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
application. Close or Ignore

when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
the game never launches
--
BenTheRed
7 answers Last reply

    BenTheRed wrote:
    > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
    > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
    > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
    > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
    > icons:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
    > application. Close or Ignore
    >
    > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
    > the game never launches

    Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767

    Titled:

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    Windows-based program

    " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
    or damaged:
    • Config.nt
    • Autoexec.nt
    • Command.com"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
    the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
    Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
    from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

    Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
    should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
    brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
    programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.

    "RobertVA" wrote:

    > BenTheRed wrote:
    > > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
    > > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
    > > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
    > > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
    > > icons:
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
    > > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
    > > application. Close or Ignore
    > >
    > > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
    > > the game never launches
    >
    > Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
    >
    > Titled:
    >
    > Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    > Windows-based program
    >
    > " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
    > or damaged:
    > • Config.nt
    > • Autoexec.nt
    > • Command.com"
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >
    > The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
    > the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
    > Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
    > from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
    Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

    1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

    2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

    * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message news:2D285152-741B-42A6-A32A-984DEC858291@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
    > should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
    > brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
    > programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.
    >
    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >
    >> BenTheRed wrote:
    >> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
    >> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
    >> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
    >> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
    >> > icons:
    >> >
    >> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
    >> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
    >> > application. Close or Ignore
    >> >
    >> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
    >> > the game never launches
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
    >>
    >> Titled:
    >>
    >> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    >> Windows-based program
    >>
    >> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
    >> or damaged:
    >> . Config.nt
    >> . Autoexec.nt
    >> . Command.com"
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >>
    >> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
    >> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
    >> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
    >> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi,
    I got the exact same problem on our office workstation.
    One of them can now work using 16bit DOS software cause missing the same
    file AUTOEXEC.NT
    So I figure out the most simple way to recover the file.
    Just copy the file from other XP workstation and paste it.
    It worked instantly.
    However , after rebooted the workstation, the same missing file error come
    again !
    and AUTOEXEC.NT disapper !
    So I have to do same copy and paste thing again to make it works
    It is kind of stupid. Anyone knows why it happen like this ?
    It only happen on one workstation (we got many other same model workstatons)
    ?
    Thanks,
    Henry

    "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
    > While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
    > Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    > If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >
    > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >
    > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >

    > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    rights.

    > "BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like
    it
    > > should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til
    my
    > > brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
    > > programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.

    > >> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
    > >>
    > >> Titled:
    > >>
    > >> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    > >> Windows-based program
    > >>
    > >> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are
    missing
    > >> or damaged:
    > >> . Config.nt
    > >> . Autoexec.nt
    > >> . Command.com"
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    > >>
    > >> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
    > >> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
    > >> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
    > >> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
    games?

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:

    >While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
    >Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    >If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >
    >1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >
    >2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >

    >* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    >right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    >option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Yes, I first discovered the fix of copying that file over from the
    \repair folder at work while doing Symantec Firewall upgrades.

    --

    <blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message news:qan341hcvgq8ueh4bl0f9rjdbhkg58i5il@4ax.com...
    > Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
    > games?
    >

    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
    >
    >>While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
    >>Here's an easy method to solve that error:
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >>
    >>If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
    >>
    >>1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
    >> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
    >>
    >>2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
    >> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
    >>

    >>* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
    >>right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
    >>option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    >>http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I went to the site and downloaded the fix. I then installed it. It
    worked. Today I went to open the program and I got the same message
    about it no being 16 bit compatible with XP. What gives? Thanks

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:04:39 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:

    >Yes, I first discovered the fix of copying that file over from the
    >\repair folder at work while doing Symantec Firewall upgrades.

Games Microsoft Error Message Video Games