older 16 bit games for windows

I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
icons:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
application. Close or Ignore

when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
the game never launches
--
BenTheRed

BenTheRed wrote:
> I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
> computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
> up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
> the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
> icons:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
> application. Close or Ignore
>
> when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
> the game never launches

Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767

Titled:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program

" This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
or damaged:
• Config.nt
• Autoexec.nt
• Command.com"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.

"RobertVA" wrote:

> BenTheRed wrote:
> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
> > icons:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
> > application. Close or Ignore
> >
> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
> > the game never launches
>
> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
>
> Titled:
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> Windows-based program
>
> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
> or damaged:
> • Config.nt
> • Autoexec.nt
> • Command.com"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message news:2D285152-741B-42A6-A32A-984DEC858291@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
> should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
> brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
> programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.
>
> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
>> BenTheRed wrote:
>> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
>> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
>> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
>> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
>> > icons:
>> >
>> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
>> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
>> > application. Close or Ignore
>> >
>> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
>> > the game never launches
>>
>> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
>>
>> Titled:
>>
>> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
>> Windows-based program
>>
>> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
>> or damaged:
>> . Config.nt
>> . Autoexec.nt
>> . Command.com"
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>>
>> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
>> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
>> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
>> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

Hi,
I got the exact same problem on our office workstation.
One of them can now work using 16bit DOS software cause missing the same
file AUTOEXEC.NT
So I figure out the most simple way to recover the file.
Just copy the file from other XP workstation and paste it.
It worked instantly.
However , after rebooted the workstation, the same missing file error come
again !
and AUTOEXEC.NT disapper !
So I have to do same copy and paste thing again to make it works
It is kind of stupid. Anyone knows why it happen like this ?
It only happen on one workstation (we got many other same model workstatons)
?
Thanks,
Henry

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
> While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
> Here's an easy method to solve that error:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>
> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>

> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.

> "BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like
it
> > should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til
my
> > brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
> > programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.

> >> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
> >>
> >> Titled:
> >>
> >> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> >> Windows-based program
> >>
> >> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are
missing
> >> or damaged:
> >> . Config.nt
> >> . Autoexec.nt
> >> . Command.com"
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> >>
> >> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
> >> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
> >> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
> >> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.

Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
games?

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:

>While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
>Here's an easy method to solve that error:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
>If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>
>1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
>2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>

>* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
>right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
>option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
>http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

Yes, I first discovered the fix of copying that file over from the
\repair folder at work while doing Symantec Firewall upgrades.

--

<blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message news:qan341hcvgq8ueh4bl0f9rjdbhkg58i5il@4ax.com...
> Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
> games?
>

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
>
>>While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
>>Here's an easy method to solve that error:
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>>
>>If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>>
>>1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
>> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>>
>>2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
>> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>>

>>* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
>>right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
>>option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
>>http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

I went to the site and downloaded the fix. I then installed it. It
worked. Today I went to open the program and I got the same message
about it no being 16 bit compatible with XP. What gives? Thanks