Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

older 16 bit games for windows

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 4:25:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
icons:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
application. Close or Ignore

when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
the game never launches
--
BenTheRed
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:27:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

BenTheRed wrote:
> I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
> computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
> up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
> the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
> icons:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
> application. Close or Ignore
>
> when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
> the game never launches

Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767

Titled:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program

" This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
or damaged:
• Config.nt
• Autoexec.nt
• Command.com"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:35:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.

"RobertVA" wrote:

> BenTheRed wrote:
> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
> > icons:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
> > application. Close or Ignore
> >
> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
> > the game never launches
>
> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
>
> Titled:
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> Windows-based program
>
> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
> or damaged:
> • Config.nt
> • Autoexec.nt
> • Command.com"
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 4:27:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
Here's an easy method to solve that error:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)


* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com


Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
_________________________________________________________

"BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message news:2D285152-741B-42A6-A32A-984DEC858291@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like it
> should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til my
> brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
> programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.
>
> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
>> BenTheRed wrote:
>> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2 on my
>> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were playing fine
>> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped functioning.
>> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of the
>> > icons:
>> >
>> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
>> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate the
>> > application. Close or Ignore
>> >
>> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message dissappears and
>> > the game never launches
>>
>> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
>>
>> Titled:
>>
>> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
>> Windows-based program
>>
>> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing
>> or damaged:
>> . Config.nt
>> . Autoexec.nt
>> . Command.com"
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>>
>> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
>> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
>> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
>> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.
>>
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 5:28:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

Hi,
I got the exact same problem on our office workstation.
One of them can now work using 16bit DOS software cause missing the same
file AUTOEXEC.NT
So I figure out the most simple way to recover the file.
Just copy the file from other XP workstation and paste it.
It worked instantly.
However , after rebooted the workstation, the same missing file error come
again !
and AUTOEXEC.NT disapper !
So I have to do same copy and paste thing again to make it works
It is kind of stupid. Anyone knows why it happen like this ?
It only happen on one workstation (we got many other same model workstatons)
?
Thanks,
Henry

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
news:u2q8HFLLFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
> Here's an easy method to solve that error:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>
> 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
> 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>
>
> * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
> right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
> option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>
>
> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.
> _________________________________________________________
>
> "BenTheRed" <benmiki@excite.com> wrote in message
news:2D285152-741B-42A6-A32A-984DEC858291@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks, This info along with the info from the linked pages looks like
it
> > should fix things up ok. i have it printed off and am going to wait til
my
> > brother comes over next time to tackle this chore. He is a computer
> > programmer and said that it sounded easy enough to him.
> >
> > "RobertVA" wrote:
> >
> >> BenTheRed wrote:
> >> > I have windows xp home edition installed and updated to service pac 2
on my
> >> > computer. i also have several dozen older 16 bit games that were
playing fine
> >> > up until a few days ago. then one morning last week they stopped
functioning.
> >> > the following error message is displayed every time i click on one of
the
> >> > icons:
> >> >
> >> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running
> >> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose close to terminate
the
> >> > application. Close or Ignore
> >> >
> >> > when i click on close or ignore either one the error message
dissappears and
> >> > the game never launches
> >>
> >> Microsoft Knowledgebase Article ID: 324767
> >>
> >> Titled:
> >>
> >> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
> >> Windows-based program
> >>
> >> " This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are
missing
> >> or damaged:
> >> . Config.nt
> >> . Autoexec.nt
> >> . Command.com"
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> >>
> >> The article continues to describe a procedure to restore the files from
> >> the installation CD. Alternate procedures to manualy generate the
> >> Config.nt and Autoexec.nt AND a procedure to restore those two files
> >> from the \Windows\Repair folder are included.
> >>
>
>
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 7:20:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
games?



On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:

>While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
>Here's an easy method to solve that error:
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
>If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>
>1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>
>2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>
>
>* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
>right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
>option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
>http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

Yes, I first discovered the fix of copying that file over from the
\repair folder at work while doing Symantec Firewall upgrades.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
_________________________________________________________

<blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message news:qan341hcvgq8ueh4bl0f9rjdbhkg58i5il@4ax.com...
> Will this fix a problem with 16 bit situation for programs other than
> games?
>
>
>
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:27:15 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:
>
>>While you're waiting for your brother to come over...
>>Here's an easy method to solve that error:
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>>
>>If that doesn't correct the issue, try this manual method:
>>
>>1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
>> Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
>>
>>2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
>> (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
>>
>>
>>* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
>>right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
>>option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
>>http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
>
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:50:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

I went to the site and downloaded the fix. I then installed it. It
worked. Today I went to open the program and I got the same message
about it no being 16 bit compatible with XP. What gives? Thanks


On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:04:39 -0500, "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote:

>Yes, I first discovered the fix of copying that file over from the
>\repair folder at work while doing Symantec Firewall upgrades.
!