Is it worth it for me to go with SATA?

drudo

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I'm in the market for a new hard disk. I'm getting a 120 GB seagate barracuda. If I wanted to get the SATA version I would need to buy a SATA PCI card since my mobo doesn't have SATA ports. So I was thinking I would just go with IDE again. Do you think it's worth it for me, as a gamer, to pay the extra for the PCI SATA card? Is it really that much faster?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No
Its not faster
No

PS: I have SATA controllers on board, but I still pleffer IDE, caz there is no "translation" loop on it.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
blah,

Are you refering to the situation that MOST SATA drives have a bridge chip that converts IDE to SATA?

If so, what do you care about that? I don't think ANYONE has ever said that this affects performance?

I prefer SATA, but ONLY because it's going to be the future standard and I want to push it along as much as possible so that the full potential is realized as soon as possible. (Yes, I know it's a "standard" now, but I referring more to being a sales standard. I think the end of 2005 we will have seen, or will see on the horizon, the time that SATA will surpass IDE in hard drive sales.)

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The seagate drive he wanted to buy doesnt even use a bridge chip anyway.

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
haa? You want to "push it"? Where? Overclock? Higher FSB? Overspin it? What are you talking about?

PS.. from <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030204/serial_ata-17.html" target="_new">Toms</A>:

"The downside of the conversion is a performance hit"

"At present, our view is: Serial ATA is superior, but not faster than current parallel ATA solutions"

drudo

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I think i've decided to go with the SATA version since my future motherboard will have spots for it. Oh well an extra $30 aint nothin I guess. thanks.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You'r da boss, I just unswered the question if it was any faster, otherwize it is more convinient from the connection (?) point of view as it is "much easier" to connect smaller cables ;$>

VIT

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
If you have used all the IDE connector, why not consider a SATA card for expansion ? The pricing for SATA card and IDE card is about the same.

If there is still a IDE connector, you don¡¦t need to buy a too fast HDD. Connecting a new HDD together with old HDD/CD-ROM certainly will reduce performance.