"The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open"

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm still trying to solve the error that results in the message:
"The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check
drive A: and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door
is closed."

This usually shows up on shutdown, strangely enough. It was a very
brief flash, but the window has persisted a bit longer lately.

I just saw the message while trying Panda's online 'ActiveScan,' which
would imply that their scanning module initially thinks that Drive A
is active, but when tried, it fails to find a diskette.

It could be that there is a flag that tells the XP kernel and apps
that there is no diskette present, and that the flag is not working
correctly.

Running XP Sp1 with latest (non-SP2) updates.

_RR wrote:
> I'm still trying to solve the error that results in the message:
> "The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check
> drive A: and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door
> is closed."
>
> This usually shows up on shutdown, strangely enough. It was a very
> brief flash, but the window has persisted a bit longer lately.
>
> I just saw the message while trying Panda's online 'ActiveScan,' which
> would imply that their scanning module initially thinks that Drive A
> is active, but when tried, it fails to find a diskette.
>
> It could be that there is a flag that tells the XP kernel and apps
> that there is no diskette present, and that the flag is not working
> correctly.
>
> Running XP Sp1 with latest (non-SP2) updates.

Sounds like PANDA is doing a drive check at shutdown (Symantec and most
other active AV scanners do.) I don't have Panda installed right now -
but... If you look through the options or search the help - it should list
the "scan the floppy on shutdown" option somewhere.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

The problem sounds like the media change mechanism in the floppy drive is broken. This probably became broken or actually it is out of alignment, due to years of use. It may possibly be fixed or adjusted. In the mean time, try the "Drivparm=" option in the built -in OS commands, using the appropriate parameter. Then add this to your config.sys file! It will fix the problem in DOS, I'm not sure and I don't think anyone is, about WINDOWS......Let me know if this work for you.

mischie27

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
ya...me too...i have no floppy drive installed but i encountered this error message then, it started to show after i reformat my pc..anyone knows?..pls..